Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree164Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2014

azguy is on a distinguished road
Re: How not to go "camping" while cruising frugally

The biggest boat I have been on is a Catalina 30, I wouldn't consider living on that for a second. A weekend getaway, perfect, a week of cruising no problem. Full-time live aboard, not in your wildest dreams for me...
Old 01-14-2014

capttb is on a distinguished road

If whatever I'm in makes hot water and ice it's also got the other stuff I think required to exceed camping. We stay at the boat as much as the house, but I still need a house to store all the tools and spare parts for the boat.

Last edited by capttb; 01-14-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2014

Tenoch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
. I now have a fifth wheel with a propane stove and oven, heating and air conditioning, satellite TV, Internet, cellular phones, hot and cold running water, shower and flush toilet but we still call it camping.
I've been "camping" on my 27 ft. boat for almost three years now, and love it. I don't begrudge anyone for their comfortable lifestyle, but I would guess that about 80% of the people on this planet "camp" full time. And with no where near the luxury listed above. In my experience its not the expensive comforts that bring happiness. But, maybe that's just me.
Old 01-14-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

The toilet. If the toilet is cramped or smelly or untrustworthy, it's camping. If I have to plan my poops, it's camping.
Old 01-14-2014

Tenoch is on a distinguished road

...as an addendum to my post above....I used to liveaboard back in the early 90's. before internet, and before cell-phones, and it got very lonely. I think the connection to the outside world makes a huge difference.
Old 01-14-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

If every task aboard (other than sailing) requires you to move something to do something, and you can only do one thing at a time, and cannot stand up while doing it, it is camping. if you have to remove a cushion to use the stove, and the head is under the v-berth, you're camping.
Sn0wman likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2014

polaris2.11 is on a distinguished road

We call cruising on our Hunter 23.5 'pampered' camping. The longest trip so far has been 13 days. We were as ready to go on day 13 as day 1. I spent a coupla decades making several trips a year living out of a kayak for up to a week at a time. Our dear Willadine is luxurious to me.

That said, for the eventual live-aboard, we will need more room for stuff and the occasional kid or two aboard.
Old 01-14-2014

Torch is on a distinguished road

Comparing cruising frugally and camping is comparing apples to oranges. They are two totally different things.

Maybe you can compare camping with living-aboard. Cruising, on the other hand, is moving from place to place, not 'camping'.
Old 01-14-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the great posts folks. Quite the diversity (as expected), although there are some themes emerging. Seems that many of us want a nice pot to piss in, and a few of you have mentioned the need for refrigeration, A/C, and hot water. Others are saying size matters You need standing head room, and enough space to have dedicated berths, galley, etc. So far, only Mark (MarkofSeaLife) has mentioned the need for enough funds to pay for land-based entertainment/tourism.

Capta, you pointed out the reality for most of us: that living on a sailboat is not an escape from work. Just the opposite -- I agree. I've been in your inverted position all too often, trying to get at our stuffing box, change some hose, or wire our latest electrical doo-dad. But for those with enough money, it is possible to pay someone else to be the bilge rat. I wonder ... is that the demarcation for "camping"?

The reason I posed the question is b/c of the number of times I see people on SN dismiss frugal or simple cruising with, "that's just camping." So, I want to try and tease this apart. Keep it coming!

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 01-14-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Comparing cruising frugally and camping is comparing apples to oranges. They are two totally different things.

Maybe you can compare camping with living-aboard. Cruising, on the other hand, is moving from place to place, not 'camping'.
To me crushing is camping in its own way like hiking the pacific crest trail from Canada to mexico you are cruising you have a starting point resupply points and a final destination. Just as in cruising like suppose you leave Seattle to go to Fiji you would make your way down the coast of the us stopping as needed for food and fuel all the way to Avalon panama there you would wait for a good weather window for the run to the marquesas. It all depends on how much ''comfort'' you want or feel you need. Its all a personal choice. Me I can do without the cell phone and internet just when free WiFi is available I will use it with my cheap 80 dollar tablet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.