Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree164Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
How not to go "camping" while cruising frugally

Picking up on the "not wanting to camp" idea that came out of the Voyaging on $500 per month thread, I'm curious what people actually mean when they say then want to avoid this dreaded state.

What are your key criteria for a pleasurable life afloat? I'm curious what people think, b/c personally I love camping. I also know that life on our boat is nothing like camping. Living on a boat that doesn't leak (much), with a galley, comfortable berths, tons of storage, lights, an indoor head, plumbing, etc. ... all of this is nothing like camping.

So, is it basic physical comfort? Is it being able to play ashore; purchasing entertainment, eating at restaurants, buy stuff beyond basic needs? Is it expensive food (you often hear people talk about not wanting to live on beans and rice)? Or is it more basic like being able to pay all the entrance fees that (apparently) are on the rise everywhere. Perhaps it is having lots of leisure time? Or maybe it is ease of tasks/jobs...
Old 01-14-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: How not to go "camping" while cruising frugally

If I don't have to 'make up the bed' or 'put up the tent' at the end of the day, and can cook a meal without 'setting up the stove' then I don't think it's camping...

We started 'cruiser camping' - 24 footer, no real galley, etc 30 some years ago. I must confess that now that we're into standing headroom, propane, cabin heat, and REFRIGERATION I'm not too interested in going back
Sn0wman, erps, miatapaul and 1 others like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

To me it means tourism.

There are many people cruising that dont have the money to visit the Pyramids when in Egypt, or the Colosseum when sailing Italy.

Many of my Australian friends when they came to New York could not afford the $30 mooring fee for a few days seeing Manhattan.

As a camping cruiser one can go anywhere but see nothing.

A WOFTAM for sure.

Mark
tdw, miatapaul, Don0190 and 4 others like this.
Old 01-14-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I as planning on being a "camping cruiser" this winter in florida.. sadly though, my boat was not done the refit.. so next year.

It is not done to be frugal, but only because I own a 23 foot boat

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 01-14-2014

Kyhillbilly is on a distinguished road

Answers are sure to be all across the board. What some would consider sparse conditions others would consider luxury. The Kate and Jess blog comes to mind. They are traveling the great loop, have been to Bahamas and back and are now in flordia. No fridge, no air condition, no tv yet they do have a working pooper and a stove. They are those out there who would say no way in hell to those conditions others might say that's good enough. Gotta say I love camping as well, I better, I have a cat 22 but I sure plan on enjoying it this year .
Lou452 likes this.
Old 01-14-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I have a 4.5 K diesel generator on my boat and air conditioning. I rarely run them when cruising, but I admit it's nice every once in a while to be able to do that. I also admit I like pulling into a nice marina, every once in a while, getting a nice meal, and having a real bathroom.

But, most of the time, I'd rather just let the night breeze blow through the boat at anchor. and cook something on the grill hanging off the back
PaThomas123 likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 01-14-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Great topic, there are some that think staying in a 50' Winnebago is camping while others think hiking the 2700 mile Pacific crest trail is camping. One thing to keep in mind is that just because somebody is frugal or runs a simple ship does not mean that they are lacking anything in their lives. We all have difference needs and wants. A few years ago I stayed aboard a friends new Catalina 36 for two weeks while I was waiting to close on my new boat. It had every option known to man and let me tell you I could get off that boat fast enough. The night I moved aboard my simple 22' er I felt at home. BTW they both cost the same amount new

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Interesting; "Perhaps it is having lots of leisure time? Or maybe it is ease of tasks/jobs... "
This bit really caught my attention. I hope that you don't consider this a hijacking of your thread, Mike.
This statement made me consider that many of you who have not yet made the break with reality, sorry, civilization, have little idea of how those of us cruising, spend our time.
I wish I had lots more "leisure time". But if I want "leisure time", I pretty much have to take it. There's always SOMETHING that should be attended to. Not necessarily something critical or even urgent, but there's way more work than hours available, for most of us. And "ease of tasks? Chasing down a fresh water leak that is so small, the pump only runs an extra 2 minutes a day (24 hours on a boat). Or a pinhole leak in the heat exchanger, which must be removed and repaired, on the side of the generator that it isn't easy to reach (actually working with your head down and your body above). Or taking apart the cooling system on the main engine 4 times, only to realize that that annoying bit of bronze that you have been knocking your head against the whole time is a malfunctioning siphon break!
Since we don't wash down our s/s after every sail, well never, but anyway, it must be polished a couple of times a month. The hull and house require polishing every few months, and a seam let go on the dodger which we just sewed today. Yesterday it was a leaking portlight. Tomorrow it may be a diesel leak on the gene that only fills a beer bottle cap every 6 days.
A life of leisure this is not, and I won't allow Nikki to even discuss the varnish, at this point.
On the other hand, we are our own boss, we have no time table, and this life is a choice we have made, so I won't complain. Who'd listen anyway?
Old 01-14-2014

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

When I started camping it meant in a tent in the bush cooking over a fire, no means of keeping things cold and a handy fallen tree is a toilet. The criteria for me then was to be warm, dry and well fed. I now have a fifth wheel with a propane stove and oven, heating and air conditioning, satellite TV, Internet, cellular phones, hot and cold running water, shower and flush toilet but we still call it camping.

I never spent anymore than a couple of weeks tent camping but spend my summers now "glamping" of course I was a lot younger when I tented.

I now cruise in the winter and while we don't have all the amenities of the fifth wheel we have some which without I would consider it too much like tent camping. The main one is refrigeration, both a refrigerator and a 45 quart freezer. Refrigeration is by far the largest amp hour draw and that requires some means of generating at power - solar, wind and/or mechanical. We have Internet and cell phones which we consider a necessity wherever we are.
Old 01-14-2014

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Bad camping in my book:
bad food, bad water, uncomfortable sleep, uncomfortable pooping, not easy to keep clean, too hot or too cold, too wet, lacking right clothes for conditions, lacking bug spray, bad company - and thus not able to enjoy the place where you are camped.
Most of the time I have a great time camping on my 20 foot Mirage. But I do it for 2 weeks at most.
I figure that I could be comfortable camping indefinitely on a 26 footer - with proper preparation, of course.