Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: How big a holding tank vs. camping

Anti siphon on all fluid lines even if not exiting the boat is a good idea.
Old 02-03-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

If your head has a sink then it is trivial to do a fresh water flush. Just leave the toilet always turned to "dry" and fill a container from the sink then pour that into the head. We keep an old pot behind the toilet for this purpose. I always do my last flush of the day with fresh water, and when sailing near a constant water supply we also use fresh water.

My old Catalina 25 had an even nicer option. The drain from the head sink went to the same through hull as the water inlet of the toilet. We would close the through hull and then you could fill the sink with fresh water and when you pumped the toilet it would draw that "grey water" into the toilet for flushing.
Old 02-03-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
......if you want to have a clean head use some joy and leave it sud in the bottom.......
Except, this will kill the aerobic bacteria colonies in the tank, when you flush, that are necessary to break down waste in the tank and do not smell. If they are dead, the anaerobic bacteria will multiply and they are ones that stink.

Some "nuke" their tanks with stuff designed to kill everything. However, they always degrade and, when they do, the stinky bacteria have a field day. Not to mention, they are awful to be pumping into the environment, whether overboard or ashore.

There are products that will not kill the good bacteria, such as Raritan CP. One bottle will last a couple of seasons. It isn't really the bowl itself that smells.
christian.hess likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2014

tomharry is on a distinguished road

having just purchased a boat with a holding tank,i can now confirm it is permantly disconnected,after seeing paper and liquid run down the deck,after 3 uses and blocked lines it now goes direct to sea.there is enough other toxins going in the water now so whats a bit more biodegradable matter going to do?
Old 04-23-2014

TerryBradley is on a distinguished road

Let me jump in here with my 2 cents worth. As far as using a bucket; I don't have a problem with that. I do it all the time on my little Windrose. But I avoid carrying it down the dock and past my friends by simply taking the Double Dooty or Wag Bag and putting them into a garbage bag. Have a Porta Pot on the Catalina but have only used it in extreme emergencies. The Hunter has a head and I can't keep the Grandkids and women from using that.
Old 04-23-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryBradley View Post
... The Hunter has a head and I can't keep the Grandkids and women from using that.
They do seem to have a "moth to a flame" sort of attraction, don't they?
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?
Old 04-24-2014

Roadking Larry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 View Post
I've done the porta-potti on my 18; it was ok. At least I could offer my guests something more than a bucket.

I love having a real head on my 25 and I have had no complaints of odor at all.

I leave $10 in an orange key fob hanging from the lifeline and call NH Dept of Evironmental Svcs; they come by in a boat and suck the tank dry. I don't even have to be there. It's a sweet deal.

Funny story about my time in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club:

On a submarine the sanitary tanks are emptied by coming up close to the surface; pressurizing the tank; and opening the overboard valve. There are many amusing stories about people inside the boat not being aware that this was happening and trying to use the head. This isn't one of those stories.

In port, the tanks are emptied the same way, but into a sewer pipe on the pier. The boat behind us had left earlier that day, but the crew failed to replace the blank-off when they disconnected their pump out line (cue sinister music). At some point, we needed to empty our tank and you can guess what happened. The Topside Watch screams into the 1MC "Secure blowing sanitary tanks! Secure blowing sanitary tanks!" That got everyone out of the boat to see what was going on. The sewer line ports are open towards the dock, not the water, I guess so it is easier to connect the hoses, so the 'effluent' was sprayed all over the parked cars on the pier. I maybe should have mentioned earlier that only high ranking officers get to park their cars close to the boat; couldn't have happened to nicer people.

Ken
The bubble head branch of uncle Sam's canoe club always has funny stories about blowing san tanks( not what we called it). My 1st boat we had a RM1 that managed to blow sans back into the galley twice on 2 consecutive duty days. Nothing quite like seeing the ice machine full of poo and little bits of toilet paper.
Old 04-24-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomharry View Post
having just purchased a boat with a holding tank,i can now confirm it is permantly disconnected,after seeing paper and liquid run down the deck,after 3 uses and blocked lines it now goes direct to sea.there is enough other toxins going in the water now so whats a bit more biodegradable matter going to do?
I sympathize with your point, but you just can't have an open outlet in a closed harbor or anchorage. I do agree that the 3nm offshore rule is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with science, its' just the limit of the State's delegated right to regulate their waters.

That said, if you are caught without a closed and secured MSD (let alone disconnected) in a no-discharge area, I understand the fine can be a couple of grand. It is clearly on the checklist for an inspection boarding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-24-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Head threads always make me happy that I don't visit some people's boats!
Old 04-24-2014

TerryBradley is on a distinguished road

I guess this thread just proves how popular "potty talk" is!