Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road
Re: How big a holding tank vs. camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I sympathize with your point, but you just can't have an open outlet in a closed harbor or anchorage. I do agree that the 3nm offshore rule is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with science, its' just the limit of the State's delegated right to regulate their waters. ...
Well, it's a bit more than that. The three-mile limit is marked on every chart, so there shouldn't be any ambiguity about whether a boat is legally too close to shore. Also, there has to be some definition of "too close". Obviously, pumping out, or directly flushing, in a marina isn't a good thing; and doing so just outside of a swim area, or just off a public beach, wouldn't make one too popular either. So, what's the alternative, someone sitting down with charts for every inch of coastline and making judgment calls as to where to allow discharges? Think about how complicated that would be. The three-mile rule may seem a bit arbitrary, and maybe even heavy-handed, but it's pretty clear and obvious. No one can claim they didn't realize they were legally too close to shore, and no enforcement folks can fine you just based on their own judgement about how close too close actually is.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I built in a composting head last year and would never go back to a stinky soup of chemicals and waste. I designed a spackle pail with a s.s. rod to rotate the contents which sits below a standard seat. It works great and I plan to now glass in a permanent, larger holding area and get a preformed pee diverter. I vented using a small PC fan which operates on a very small "battery maintainer" solar unit. It can also operate on the 12v boat system. Attached are a couple of pix. This little pail lasts me a month before it needs to be emptied. There is essentially no odor except a slight "peat moss" smell. I use Coconut Coir for a medium.
Attached Thumbnails
How big a holding tank vs. camping-boathead1.jpg   How big a holding tank vs. camping-boathead3.jpg   How big a holding tank vs. camping-boathead6.jpg   How big a holding tank vs. camping-boathead2.jpg   How big a holding tank vs. camping-boathead4.jpg  

Old 04-25-2014

cthoops is on a distinguished road

smurphny, How big is your spackle pail? We don't have enough room for a Nature's Head/Airhead/C-Head and have thought about making our own, but all of the designs I've found call for a 5 gallon bucket. Is that what you used?
Old 04-25-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthoops View Post
smurphny, How big is your spackle pail? We don't have enough room for a Nature's Head/Airhead/C-Head and have thought about making our own, but all of the designs I've found call for a 5 gallon bucket. Is that what you used?
That's exactly why I did the build-in. Couldn't find a ready-made unit that would come anywhere near fitting in the small space. It's the standard 5 gallon spackle bucket with a bent 1/2" round pc. of stainless for a stirrer. I built the platform just above bucket height and used a standard seat. There is a half- round piece which slides/rotates in to cover the hole when not in use. Now that I'm sold on the idea, the plan is to replace the bucket with a larger, permanent glassed-in space which will at least double the refill time and actually allow more time for composting. It IS amazing how fast the compost process works.
cthoops (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
A fix for that is simple: put in a inline strainer with a CL tab. Brian
Would you expand on that please?
Links to parts?
Old 04-25-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

smurph, that's a nice installation & execution. I'm still not sold on those things, but that's a nice one.
The Following User Says Thank You to hellosailor For This Useful Post:
smurphny (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014

cthoops is on a distinguished road

Thanks, smurphny! This has now risen to project #1 for this season. We have a Thetford which is fine, but we'd prefer to have something that doesn't have to be emptied as frequently.

I appreciate the information.
Old 04-26-2014

tomharry is on a distinguished road

over here in new zealand we are not suppose to discharge within 500m of shore,having said that there are no facilities to pump out so over she goes.
Old 04-27-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomharry View Post
over here in new zealand we are not suppose to discharge within 500m of shore,having said that there are no facilities to pump out so over she goes.
While I would not intuitively let a cruise ship put a few hundred thousand gallons overboard at that distance, it seems perfectly rational for pumping a few dozens gallons. Even if there are a few dozen recreational boats out there. I think many can't fathom how much water volume is between them and the shoreline. If I did the math correctly, assuming an average depth of 7 meters, each 1 meter slice of shoreline contains nearly 1 million gallons of water out to 500 meters. That's just one 500m x 7m x 1m slice. Our 3nm rule is just silly.

I would not object to a rule that required all discharge to pass through a macerator first, if science showed it would speed degradation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-27-2014

jnorten is on a distinguished road

Here's what my bareboat sailing instructor taught me more than 10 years ago. It's the method I share to this very day whenever on a boat. It's received well because it works well.

Pee: Dry bowl (NO lake water intake). After going, fill a cup with fresh water from the sink. Pour water, using quick swirl motion, into bowl. Pump bowl dry. That's it. This eliminates much of the volume going into the tank--pumping lake water into the bowl. Folks don't realize how much water this pushes into the tank.

Poop: Follow same method as above. HOWEVER, add one extra step; before going, be sure to pour a cup of water into the bowl. If necessary, swirl a second cup through the bowl after going.

Using this manner, 3-4 adult males can make a ~25 gallon tank last the better part of a week. When tied up in the evenings, use shore facilities. While at sea, guys can pee off the back of the boat.

We once had a girl at the helm. A guy peed of the back and she had no clue.

My personal favorite is to sit at lifelines--feet dangling over the side "rail meat" style. If not heeling too much, then do this on the low side (unorthodox but works better than high side). Pee out the bottom of your shorts. NOBODY, and I mean nobody will know, except for the "tinkling" sound in calmer conditions. You can be staring straight into the eyes of someone in the cockpit. They cannot see your lower half because you're forward enough that the cabin top blocks their view!

Don't ask me how I know; "I heard this from a friend".