Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2014

caberg is on a distinguished road
Re: How big a holding tank vs. camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Caberg, I'm not sure the WagBags are for me, but I'm curious wher eyou get them. All I see is a link to the DOD Mall and the GSA Advantage site. I'm not in the government, so I can't order from either of those.
Widely available online, couple of links below. If you think about it, the gross factor of sealing a bag of your own waste is way less (or should be) than dealing with hoses and tanks filled with a group of people's waste that sits for days or weeks at a time. But, gross factor aside, we mainly do it because of the efficiency and ease of not having to maintain and empty the marine system/tank.

Cleanwaste WAG BAG Waste Bags - Package of 12 at REI.com

Amazon.com: Cleanwaste WAG Portable Toilet Bags: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Cleanwaste WAG Portable Toilet Bags: Sports & Outdoors

Last edited by caberg; 01-15-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to caberg For This Useful Post:
jimgo (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Since that makes for a stinky boat we have a different rule. If you are a boy and aren't in a marina then you pee over the side (legal, even though bucket and chuck it is not).

A 20 gallon tank lasts 5-7 days of cruising for us, a sample size of one couple.
So call it 20 gallons for 2 people for 6 days = 1.666 gallons/person/day, utilizing the male-over-the-rail conservation technique. This seems in line with CruisingDad's 2 gallon average.
Old 01-15-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Since that makes for a stinky boat we have a different rule. If you are a boy and aren't in a marina then you pee over the side (legal, even though bucket and chuck it is not).

A 20 gallon tank lasts 5-7 days of cruising for us, a sample size of one couple.
42 last 5-7 days for us, 4 people. Like I said, 1-3g, pp/day with 2 being the average.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

The Following User Says Thank You to Cruisingdad For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Our 25 gal tank would last the two of us about three weeks, but that's with most liquids going over the side (90% of his, 50% of hers), and very judicious use of water for flushing.

It's one of the big reasons I've gone to a composted.
Old 01-15-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Boy you guys are good. I ve a lot to learn. Have choice of fresh or salt. Use fresh always except when offshore and need to conserve potable water. Much less stink and I think easier on the system. Wife insisted on electric so have one electric one manual both with macerators. Down side is even with three settings on electric use way more water then you folks are posting. Upside is have two holding tanks. The one for electric fills first. Have tank monitors. When other gets near usually time for fuel or pump out or a great excuse to go outside the limit. Conclusion is if tank size is a concern don't put in electric head. Have had guests push button repetitively fascinated by the flush until told to stop.
Old 01-15-2014

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Funny, the discussions between the ladies at the yacht club somehow always get around to poo and holding tanks. Something that was an eye opener for us was the 18 gal tank in our specifications only measured out to a paltry 13 gallons! The two of us are very comfortable for a weekend but really have to practice conservation when we are off the grid for a week or more. We installed a tank watch system for obvious reasons. When you are using the 1-3 gallons per day metric is that assuming a one gallon flush per use? My friend who has a boat by a European builder also discovered his tank was less than advertised.
Old 01-15-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised this isn't a bigger thread. A lot of us "day sailors" struggle with this problem. We don't "cruise" in the real sense. But, we do spend several days at a time on our boats. And, we have female crew, which is all I'm going to say about that. It's a three day weekend for me, and my one goal is to tear out my 70's era head, and then decide which way I'm going to go in regards to "solid waste". I'm looking forward to reading the responses in this thread. So far, I'm leaning towards a composting head. Although, the aforementioned poop bags look like a contender as well.
Old 01-15-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

We keep a spray bottle of citrus holding tank deodorizer in the head, like this stuff:
Camco 41197 TST 1 Gallon Orange Power Toilet Treatment

spray the yellow , and let it mellow- no stinky head, no full holding tank too quickly. our 10 gallon tank lasts the two of us a week or so.

Old 01-15-2014

remetau is on a distinguished road

Our 15 gal tank lasts the two of us a week. We wash down solids and let liquids flow on their own. We don't use the salt intake unless we are out and going directly overboard. Inland the thru-hull is closed and we use the shower head to rinse the solids. I would prefer a bigger tank, but that's we have.

Old 01-15-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Actually the bucket is legal as long as its not designed for pee and doesn't have a toilet seat on it it still comes under the loose rules of direct discharge but I still have and use my porta potty for poo underway and on the hook pee is fine but I hate to see floaters in the water I'm anchored in its just not nice to do in port. with just poo I get about a month for my 8 ltr porta potty and pump out stations are all over the place here in Puget sound I use sea water for flushing it