Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2014

fryewe is on a distinguished road
Re: How big a holding tank vs. camping

The 8 gallon holding tank I had in my Norsea was the biggest I could get into the space available. Filled up way too fast and was waa-a-y too much trouble. It was the "controlling" system on the boat when in inland waters. When poop - not potable water/not fuel/not food/not beer and rum and coffee - becomes controlling then a solution is needed.

So we starting using Wag Bags. Better...but still a PITA.

My C-head was the solution and I will never go back to a holding tank. Not much greater effort than the toilet on the farm. Still have to clean it. Don't have to use Rid-x for the septic. Never have to wiggle the flush lever when the valve starts to leak. Never have to adjust the lever-to-chain connection when the throw is too small or too great for efficient flushing. Never have to replace the "guts" of the tank because of leaks or corrosion of internal parts. Never have to worry about the wax seal leaking.

Doesn't feel like camping to me. YMMV.
Old 01-15-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Camping is, if you take it in, you take it out, including the POO! Had to do that on Mr Rainer. Ther joke up there is about blue bags. Blue for the poo, and clear to make sure the blue does not leak into the back pack! With the typical one or two per day......well anyway. Not an issue with the liquid part of the equation.

It would be nice if the holding tank was larger than the water tank........but, none the less, ANY tank is better than the one in my 8' pram I had............

Marty
Old 01-15-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

I've used the bucket and wag bags for years and I can tell you 5 minutes a day really isn't that big of an issue. Having 20 gallons of **** under your mattress is third world nasty. Nothing like going on a pristine yacht and smelling ****.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2014

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Camping is, if you take it in, you take it out, including the POO! Had to do that on Mr Rainer. Ther joke up there is about blue bags. Blue for the poo, and clear to make sure the blue does not leak into the back pack! With the typical one or two per day......well anyway. Not an issue with the liquid part of the equation.

It would be nice if the holding tank was larger than the water tank........but, none the less, ANY tank is better than the one in my 8' pram I had............

Marty
Are you serious?? You are not allowed to leave a deposit on Mt. Rainer? To me, camping (quite a bit in western PA and Ohio, when I lived there) was dig a hole, do your business, cover it up and be on your way. As natural as the setting sun. My area was all forest though, I guess Mt. Rainer is a lot of rock and glacier, maybe that's why there are special rules. Are you rules for Mt. Rainer for just above the tree line? (Assuming there is a tree line.)

On topic: For Argyle, we currently have a 9 gal. holding tank which is not sufficient. It's location is also not sufficient. A PO placed the tank in a cabinet in the V-berth. So if the tank grows a bit ripe, the V-berth get's the brunt of it. I'm currently working on designing and installing a 25-30 gal. holding tank under the cabin sole, beneath the head and V-berth. It will have much better ventilation and any smell will be confined to the bilge area.
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-16-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

It really gets me that humans are the only animal not permitted to relieve themselves on a mountain. There is a right and wrong way to do it, so that others don't have to sleep on the fresh. However, do some believe we don't belong on earth?

Back to holding tanks. While I've done it, I do not think its a good idea to leave urine in the bowl, if you have an electric macerating head. I'm trying to picture the setup, but I'm pretty sure the jocker valve is after the metal macerator, which will corrode in time.

Flushing clear water is the primary key to keeping the head and hoses from smelling. Salt water is fine, if it doesn't lie around long enough for organisms to die, as long as its clear and all waste has been flushed to the holding tank. With a vented loop above the water line, it takes a minimum of 1 gallon per flush to do so. More, for some reason, if you have an electric head.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-16-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Actually the bucket is legal as long as its not designed for pee and doesn't have a toilet seat on it it still comes under the loose rules of direct discharge
I don't believe that is true. Any intermediate *ahem* resting place is an MSD.

On Auspicious, electric toilet that can flush with fresh or raw water and a 40 gallon holding tank. That lasts us (2 people) 5 - 7 days. Most of the time we run through an Electroscan and are rarely in a NDZ long enough to fill the holding tank. Holding tank gravity dumps outside the 3-mile limit.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 01-16-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=SVAuspicious;1313210]I don't believe that is true. Any intermediate *ahem* resting place is an MSD.

Actually here is the definition of an MSD according to the EPA an MSD is any equipment for I stilation on board a vessel which is designed to receive, retain,treat or discharge sewage and a bucket is neither installed or designed to receive sewage. Water.epa.gov/polwaste/vwd/vsdmsd.cfm sorry can't cut and paste but that's the epa web site I referenced I'm not advocating it I use my porta potty but it is legal by definition of the epa

Old 01-16-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
It really gets me that humans are the only animal not permitted to relieve themselves on a mountain. There is a right and wrong way to do it, so that others don't have to sleep on the fresh. However, do some believe we don't belong on earth?
ever seen the stuff we eat? Aside from pets, we are the only species that consistently eats stuff that many species would consider poisonous. You may think that your poop is benign, but it is not, it is full of the stuff our bodies could not process.

why do you think it smells so badly?

And before anybody goes on about direct discharge, I can remember when marinas smelled like cesspools. there -is- a reason they make us have some way to store our **** on board

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 01-16-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
I've used the bucket and wag bags for years and I can tell you 5 minutes a day really isn't that big of an issue. Having 20 gallons of **** under your mattress is third world nasty. Nothing like going on a pristine yacht and smelling ****.
Then you have a holding tank problem. My boat doesn't smell like that. And there is no chance in Hades that my wife (and hey, I will throw myself in that category too) would poop in a bucket permanently. If there is a massive head failure, hey, we do what we gotta do. But permanently???? Not thanks.

I am not going to tell you what to do on your boat... but if it had been me, I would have fixed the holding tank and head issues. Frankly, it is not that expensive to do.

Anyways, my opinions.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-16-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Ive been a yacht broker on and off for 25 years and of the thousands of boats I have been on they all smell like do do you are just used to it or don't have a sensitive nose
I will say though where you think pooping in a bucket is a nasty affair I think sucking 25 gallons of poop out of a boat to be a deal breaker You say potato I say potato??? something like that