Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road
Re: How big a holding tank vs. camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
And there is no chance in Hades that my wife (and hey, I will throw myself in that category too) would poop in a bucket permanently.
Word! Digging catholes using thunderboxes when backpacking is bad enough, I'm trying to imagine me explaining to my wife that the toilet solution I've come up with for the boat is that she uses a bucket with a bag, then zips it up and throws it in the trash....

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Ive been a yacht broker on and off for 25 years and of the thousands of boats I have been on they all smell like do do you are just used to it or don't have a sensitive nose
Really?

You've been around boats much longer than me, I was on my first keelboat in the fall of 2009, but... None of the boats I've sailed on have smelled like holding talk. Some have smelled "boaty" like they've been closed up and have a little standing water, but none have smelled like holding tank. Maybe I've just been very lucky.
Old 01-16-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Ive been a yacht broker on and off for 25 years and of the thousands of boats I have been on they all smell like do do you are just used to it or don't have a sensitive nose
I will say though where you think pooping in a bucket is a nasty affair I think sucking 25 gallons of poop out of a boat to be a deal breaker You say potato I say potato??? something like that
Our boat does NOT smell like it. Likely what you are smelling is the anaerobic bacteria and sulfur smell common with flushing as they grow in the fresh water line and populate. THat has nothing to do with poo. A fix for that is simple: put in a inline strainer with a CL tab. I have done this for years and it has left my boat smelling 'boat-show new'. Before that, my boat had a smell which I traced to that. It wipes out that bacteria and what is often associated with poop smell. Just so you know, that sulfur smell will hang around the inside of a boat for a while. I wonder if it may be heavier than air? Anyways, a well built and maintained holding tank system should not stink. It should be a fully closed system that vents to the outside. If it does you may have hose problems, aeration problems, maintenance problems, or a small leak somewhere.

As far as preferring to bag your poop versus pumping it out, I won't argue that point as it is a personal decision. I guess you do know when your tank is full though! (smile)

BTW, I have been cruising since 2000, raised kids aboard basically since birth, and owned fixed keels since the mid 90s or so. I am not new to this either.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Been doing this near on 35y and have been pooping longer than that. Boats can have boat smell but never poop smell. Poop smell means something is wrong. May be as simple as clogged vent line or as bad as need for a rebuild. Knock on wood never had a failed leaking holding tank. Right now need to shorten sani pipe from head discharge to holding tank as it's too long giving a small amount of back flow. Once done no reason for smell. On prior boats have had to add enzyme but now with fresh H2O flush additives not needed. If you have smell or are needing to add things constantly may want some advise as to what's going on. Could be the piping- common with old boats or production boats the best piping was not used.
Also found the tea tree stuff really works to get rid of boat smell. That and good ventilation with a full wash down of all surfaces with vinegar once a blue moon.
Old 01-16-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Maybe its just my big nose Its really big.

Old 01-16-2014

Siamese is on a distinguished road

I'm a member of a very small minority of people who prefer a porta potti to any other system. People are reluctant to consider a porta over a holding tank system, but why anyone would prefer a bucket to a porta potti is beyond me, unless you think carrying a bucket of poo past your friends in the cockpit is a good conversation starter. Don't trip! And really, you'd rather sit on a bucket than a toilet seat?!?

Our porta never smells, unless it's left fairly full for a long time. A quick dump and clean and the smell is GONE. Easy to dump it...our Thetford has a spout that swings out and allows easy draining into a shoreside toilet. You just carry it there like a briefcase. You can label it "affordable healthcare act".

No worries if someone wants to use too much TP or drops a feminine product or two in there. Try that with a holding tank.

I, too, am on the great lakes where discharge in the water is not legal, but I've found myself out on the lake with no other boats in sight and with a full porta potti. You'll never guess what happened next!

A good porta potti is 75 bucks, and they tend not to break. Obviously, no repair can ever cost you more than 75 bucks.
Old 01-16-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
ever seen the stuff we eat? Aside from pets, we are the only species that consistently eats stuff that many species would consider poisonous. You may think that your poop is benign, but it is not, it is full of the stuff our bodies could not process.
While we ingest pharmaceutical poisons and they remain in our waste, we are far from the only species that eats stuff other species would find poisonous. That's totally biased.

Quote:
why do you think it smells so badly?
The gut flora necessary for a carnivore's digestion is what causes the odor. It's actually worse in some other carnivorous species.

Quote:
And before anybody goes on about direct discharge, I can remember when marinas smelled like cesspools. there -is- a reason they make us have some way to store our **** on board
There should be zero discharge in confined harbors for obvious reasons. There is zero scientific evidence of the need to be 3 miles offshore.
Argyle38 likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-16-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Maybe its an age thing, I primarily sail with girls in the their mid to late 20's none of them have ever complained. When under way I have a nice big boomkin and the girls just straddle it, its friggin art

Old 01-16-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maybe its an age thing, I primarily sail with girls in the their mid to late 20's none of them have ever complained. When under way I have a nice big boomkin and the girls just straddle it, its friggin art
Don't want to get too detailed, but my 51 year old "girl" managed to go over the side without a lot of trouble or fuss. It was the only way we were able to manage with our small 25 gal. holding tank.

Now that we have a composting head, it doesn't matter.
barefootnavigator likes this.
Old 01-16-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Maybe its just my big nose Its really big.

Its all good. Just giving you my perspective. I have just been doing this a long time (my entire adult life). Others have different perspectives.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-16-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

How big a holding tank vs. camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
I'm a member of a very small minority of people who prefer a porta potti to any other system. People are reluctant to consider a porta over a holding tank system, but why anyone would prefer a bucket to a porta potti is beyond me, unless you think carrying a bucket of poo past your friends in the cockpit is a good conversation starter. Don't trip! And really, you'd rather sit on a bucket than a toilet seat?!?

Our porta never smells, unless it's left fairly full for a long time. A quick dump and clean and the smell is GONE. Easy to dump it...our Thetford has a spout that swings out and allows easy draining into a shoreside toilet. You just carry it there like a briefcase. You can label it "affordable healthcare act".

No worries if someone wants to use too much TP or drops a feminine product or two in there. Try that with a holding tank.

I, too, am on the great lakes where discharge in the water is not legal, but I've found myself out on the lake with no other boats in sight and with a full porta potti. You'll never guess what happened next!

A good porta potti is 75 bucks, and they tend not to break. Obviously, no repair can ever cost you more than 75 bucks.

And how many days or weeks can you stay out without a dump? I have owned porta-potties. You are even more restricted than us.

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 01-16-2014 at 06:39 PM.