Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road
Re: How big a holding tank vs. camping

I use them when needed and have and will continue to. Here is something to think about. Zero discharge means zero discharge. By that standard 100% of all boats sailing with gas or diesel engines are breaking the law by discharging raw fuel into the water 100% of the time the engines are started and run. Poo? who gives a ****
christian.hess likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2014

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Well for one thing we don't use them, they are for emergency which has been written by many people here. . . . . I actually prefer to use a bucket, it is clean and sanitary. If I had no other option than a holding tank in my boat I would give up sailing, for me its a deal breaker.
Say what? So you use the bucket sans the bag and then what? Tip the contents over the side? Or leave it in the corner until you leave the anchorage? When I was a teenager we had a joke that went "How do you keep flies out of the kitchen? Answer: Put a bucket of shite in the lounge". Maybe it's not a joke - maybe it really works.

Quote:
I've used the bucket and wag bags for years and I can tell you 5 minutes a day really isn't that big of an issue. Having 20 gallons of **** under your mattress is third world nasty. Nothing like going on a pristine yacht and smelling ****.
OK, let's not split hairs - you probably don't use them now, right? So what do you use now? From the second quote above it's not a holding tank.

I'm not taking the piss (no pun intended), I'm really intrigued.
barefootnavigator likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 01-17-2014

I use shore-side facilities when I can, bags when I have to and the bucket everywhere in between no pun intended

Old 01-18-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I use them when needed and have and will continue to. Here is something to think about. Zero discharge means zero discharge. By that standard 100% of all boats sailing with gas or diesel engines are breaking the law by discharging raw fuel into the water 100% of the time the engines are started and run. Poo? who gives a ****
This is the kinda crap that broke sailors do that makes it harder for other broke sailors. You may not give a **** about your poo, but the guy on a boat a couple of moorings over who sees you dump your bait bucket of brown trout will likely give a ****.

You can try to rationalize your "i'm too broke to afford a proper non-smelling marine head, or too incompetent to make the one i had work" philosophy anyway you want to, but you might find your explanation is an uphill battle when you are asked to leave a mooring field and your boat is tagged because you do not have the requisite sanitary equipment.
In fact, I can pretty much predict the answer you will hear from marina staff- "That discharge keeps us in business- your discharge is bad for business."

Oh, and don't drink, at least in North America- having a beer on your boat, even on a mooring, without a head, puts you at risk of a DUI.
That fine will put a real dent in your low-buck cruising budget.

Old 01-18-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Wagbags:
There's a simpler cheaper way. Buy a box of plastic bags, buy a big box of clumping kitty litter. Throw about a half cup of kitty litter into a bag, add another half cup after use, if needed. The stuff is incredibly absorbent. When you're done, tie a knot in the bag. Stow the full bags in another bag, they're cheap enough.

Wagbags are what, about two bucks each? Twenty bucks should get you at least fifty 5-6 gallon size garbage bags and the huge box of kitty litter. The wagbags are clever, they supposedly are higher tech, yadayada, they're damned expensive.
Old 01-18-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Wagbags are what, about two bucks each? Twenty bucks should get you at least fifty 5-6 gallon size garbage bags and the huge box of kitty litter. The wagbags are clever, they supposedly are higher tech, yadayada, they're damned expensive.
Three bucks a piece! Oh, the price of pooping.

Amazon.com: Cleanwaste WAG Portable Toilet Bags: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Cleanwaste WAG Portable Toilet Bags: Sports & Outdoors

Old 01-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
This is the kinda crap that broke sailors do that makes it harder for other broke sailors. You may not give a **** about your poo, but the guy on a boat a couple of moorings over who sees you dump your bait bucket of brown trout will likely give a ****.

You can try to rationalize your "i'm too broke to afford a proper non-smelling marine head, or too incompetent to make the one i had work" philosophy anyway you want to, but you might find your explanation is an uphill battle when you are asked to leave a mooring field and your boat is tagged because you do not have the requisite sanitary equipment.
In fact, I can pretty much predict the answer you will hear from marina staff- "That discharge keeps us in business- your discharge is bad for business."

Oh, and don't drink, at least in North America- having a beer on your boat, even on a mooring, without a head, puts you at risk of a DUI.
That fine will put a real dent in your low-buck cruising budget.
What makes you think that I have a low buck cruising budget? And why have you completely ignored my post on all the fuel your boat spews into my pristine cruising waters? Oh I get, what your saying is do as I say not as I do

Last edited by barefootnavigator; 01-18-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-19-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

I wish I wouldnt get logged out when posting a long thoughtful post...but as always patience grasshoper

I dont get the complaints about human poo when you see huge companies and factories spilling crap next you all over the world

I mean battery acid, sulfur, pestcides flushed away, etc...etc...how is a biodegradable poo worse than even fuel?

Ive seen fish eat poo! for petes sake...

why put laws to not pee when you might be swimming in green floruscent marvel type goo? and not even know about it?

anywhoo!

Old 01-27-2014

warren5421 is on a distinguished road

Only story I have about holding tanks was when I was in the US canoe club. I was on watch and had to take a reading once an hour on the aft holding tank. This was done at the lower level watch station. This was done using air, after taking the reading you vented the air through a ľ” vent line which vented in the upper deck as high as the line could be run. Someone left the flush water running and filled the tank I took the reading opened the vent and it blew particulate all over the Engineering Officer who was not liked. Couldn’t happen to a better guy. The upper deck watch had to clean it up and he was grinning from ear to ear. I was informed by the Officer of the watch that the tank was full and not to sound it again till after it was blowed overboard!
Old 01-27-2014
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

I've done the porta-potti on my 18; it was ok. At least I could offer my guests something more than a bucket.

I love having a real head on my 25 and I have had no complaints of odor at all.

I leave $10 in an orange key fob hanging from the lifeline and call NH Dept of Evironmental Svcs; they come by in a boat and suck the tank dry. I don't even have to be there. It's a sweet deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
Only story I have about holding tanks was when I was in the US canoe club. I was on ...
Funny story about my time in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club:

On a submarine the sanitary tanks are emptied by coming up close to the surface; pressurizing the tank; and opening the overboard valve. There are many amusing stories about people inside the boat not being aware that this was happening and trying to use the head. This isn't one of those stories.

In port, the tanks are emptied the same way, but into a sewer pipe on the pier. The boat behind us had left earlier that day, but the crew failed to replace the blank-off when they disconnected their pump out line (cue sinister music). At some point, we needed to empty our tank and you can guess what happened. The Topside Watch screams into the 1MC "Secure blowing sanitary tanks! Secure blowing sanitary tanks!" That got everyone out of the boat to see what was going on. The sewer line ports are open towards the dock, not the water, I guess so it is easier to connect the hoses, so the 'effluent' was sprayed all over the parked cars on the pier. I maybe should have mentioned earlier that only high ranking officers get to park their cars close to the boat; couldn't have happened to nicer people.

Ken

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.