Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: How big a holding tank vs. camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
What makes you think that I have a low buck cruising budget? And why have you completely ignored my post on all the fuel your boat spews into my pristine cruising waters? Oh I get, what your saying is do as I say not as I do
The difference is that you don't have a choice on the engine, for Pity's sake! You DO have a choice on your holding. I find it absolutely repulsive that anyone cruising and enjoying the waters would dump their crap into the same water that we get our drinking water from, swim in, dive in, etc.

Down in Florida, they will board your boat (I know because it happens regularly down here) and fine you just for not having your Thull locked closed. If they caught you dumping illegally, Jaysus, they would be all over you and you sure would not get any sympathy from your fellow cruisers who have gone to great pains and costs to dispose of their crap properly.

Illegal dumping is the stuff that gives all of us cruisers a bad name. Please don't.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
This is the kinda crap that broke sailors do that makes it harder for other broke sailors. You may not give a **** about your poo, but the guy on a boat a couple of moorings over who sees you dump your bait bucket of brown trout will likely give a ****.

You can try to rationalize your "i'm too broke to afford a proper non-smelling marine head, or too incompetent to make the one i had work" philosophy anyway you want to, but you might find your explanation is an uphill battle when you are asked to leave a mooring field and your boat is tagged because you do not have the requisite sanitary equipment.
In fact, I can pretty much predict the answer you will hear from marina staff- "That discharge keeps us in business- your discharge is bad for business."

Oh, and don't drink, at least in North America- having a beer on your boat, even on a mooring, without a head, puts you at risk of a DUI.
That fine will put a real dent in your low-buck cruising budget.
Precisely.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-31-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road

My dilemma is do I put a large holding tank in the boat for longer time sailing and sacrifice storage needed for longer time sailing or do I install a smaller tank and have storage, but then have to go and pump out frequently. I have a port a potty now but I have not had the boat out for extended periods of time yet, I am planning a waste system now for this summer.

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

Old 01-31-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal c25 View Post
My dilemma is do I put a large holding tank in the boat for longer time sailing and sacrifice storage needed for longer time sailing or do I install a smaller tank and have storage, but then have to go and pump out frequently. I have a port a potty now but I have not had the boat out for extended periods of time yet, I am planning a waste system now for this summer.
If you are not in a NDZ, you can get a Lectrascan.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-31-2014
69' Coronado 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
If you are not in a NDZ, you can get a Lectrascan.

Brian
We do go to Catalina Island which is a NDZ, once 3 miles offshore we can dump.

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

Old 01-31-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"having a beer on your boat, even on a mooring, without a head, puts you at risk of a DUI."

Is that a trick question? Where only the first part counts, i.e. "having a beer on your boat, ...puts you at risk of a DUI."

Or what does having a head have to do with this?

AFAIK I've seen statutes that specifically say a vessel secured to a mooring or dock is not under way, so the motor vehicle (etc) DUI laws do not apply. Despite the contradictory DUI laws that say that simply having the keys while you are drunk in a car, parked or otherwise, earns you a DUI on land.

Either way I don't see how a head on the vessel affects things. Especially since you're still allowed to pee over the side, or fall in and drown while attempting to do so, as so many sailors actually do every year.
Old 01-31-2014
69' Coronado 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Either way I don't see how a head on the vessel affects things. Especially since you're still allowed to pee over the side, or fall in and drown while attempting to do so, as so many sailors actually do every year.
If your on the hook or in a marina and are peeing over the side you'll risk more than falling over the side, if caught you'll end up with a ticket for indecent exposure and then you'll be put on the internet as a sex offender all for relieving yourself.

Old 01-31-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

" if caught "
The charge of indecent exposure has to do with being OBSERVED peeing over the side. The actual peeing is usually legal, the ticket is for PUBLIC EXPOSURE which means someone saw you and complained about it.
Those are two very different things. Pretty much like the difference between having sex with your spouse, in your bedroom, versus re-enacting the Kama Sutra with them on a school playing field while the kids are playing on it.
When and where you do it is the problem. The act itself, is not.

( And I'd bet that if you were re-enacting the Kama Sutra, you could still get away with claiming public performance of art, a protected free speech right, in the US. )
Old 01-31-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

What I fail to understand is having fresh water flush.

As for discharge .... in a marina ? You are without redeeming feature. In a crowded mooring field ? Dodgey at best. Out there ? Why not.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 01-31-2014

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal c25 View Post
If your on the hook or in a marina and are peeing over the side you'll risk more than falling over the side, if caught you'll end up with a ticket for indecent exposure and then you'll be put on the internet as a sex offender all for relieving yourself.
Is this a joke? If not, please tell me where this is so I can never go there.