Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: How big a holding tank vs. camping

"What I fail to understand is having fresh water flush. "

Seawater = soup. All sorts of live things are in it, along with plenty of nutrients for them. So the seawater in your head, in the hoses, etc. is alive, and if it sits and gets stagnant, it will get stagnant and develop odors, slime, etc.

The theory behind a fresh water flush is that it clears all that soup out of the bowl and hoses, so there's much less growing and much less that can make an odor there.

Add good ventilation to keep down odors in the holding tank itself...and in theory you can have an odorless system.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Also easier on the plumbing. This boat is the first I've had with every thing plumbed for fresh or salt. Fresh truly makes a difference. I was quite surprised how much so.
Old 02-01-2014

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
What I fail to understand is having fresh water flush.
Me too. The smell generated by stale sea water is instantly perishable. I pump the loo through when we arrive on the boat, the smell is gone in moments and does not return at any time while we're still on the boat. It only returns if the boat is left unattended for three or four days.

When the loo doesn't flush because you have run out of fresh water, being able to switch it to sea water seems to me like a very hollow victory.
Minnewaska likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 02-01-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Yes, speaking of easier on the plumbing, urine + salt water tends to crystalize out salts, which then constrict the hoses and make it easier for things to catch and jam. Fresh water flushing cuts down on the crystal growths, too.

For anyone without a watermaker, it might be a burden to carry the extra fresh water though. For anyone who likes to Rube Goldberg, it might be a good use for storing gray water and then using that as a compromise flush?
Old 02-01-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
.....For anyone who likes to Rube Goldberg, it might be a good use for storing gray water and then using that as a compromise flush?
Stagnant gray water can really smell bad. Ask anyone that has a boat that routes any of it to the bilge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-02-2014

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Yes, speaking of easier on the plumbing, urine + salt water tends to crystalize out salts, which then constrict the hoses and make it easier for things to catch and jam. Fresh water flushing cuts down on the crystal growths, too.
Yes that is a problem. We usually fix that by, once every now and then determined by how much time we spend on the boat, pump some white vinegar into the pipes and let it sit overnight. That seems to reduce the calcium build up (I think that's what you're talking about), to a minimum.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 02-02-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

When coastal just 2 of us using fresh is never an issue. When no access to fresh for awhile plan ahead and use salt. Think given to date that's not a long time and in that setting no issue using a lot of flush with nothing going to holding tanks build up should be minimal. Also flip back to fresh as soon as we can. Nice feature having the choice. Not hard to do and would suggest it even as a retrofit when your existing system needs a major rebuild. Mistake we made is having all fresh go through a whole boat filtration system. No need to having water going to the heads filtered.
Old 02-03-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
What I fail to understand is having fresh water flush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Me too. The smell generated by stale sea water is instantly perishable. I pump the loo through when we arrive on the boat, the smell is gone in moments and does not return at any time while we're still on the boat. It only returns if the boat is left unattended for three or four days.
Why put up with the smell at all? Why deal with crystal formation in the sewage lines?

We're set up for fresh or salt flush. Coastal cruising we flush with fresh water. Part of getting ready to head offshore on passage is flipping the valve over for salt flush. On passage the head obviously gets used regularly and smell isn't so much of a factor, although we've had the odd tiny octopus and lots of small shrimp slide out of the rim.

As soon as we make landfall we go back to fresh water flush and give everything a proper scrub.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 02-03-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

One of the things you need to consider, when using fresh water to flush, is reverse contamination of your water supply. I had an installer really give me a hard time about it once. I never bothered, but not for that reason.

Bottom line is, if you use your head often, have a well ventilated tank that you empty every few days, flush plenty of clear chase water (salt or fresh) and never flush anything you didn't eat first, your system will be fine, regardless of the water you use.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-03-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

man Ive seen it all now...

cruisers using freshwater in their heads.

I thought rinsing plates with freshwater was bad this just makes me cry.

man!

I know Im a minority for sure, and my ideas on cruising cheaply and very frugally in the past(im improving and adding gizmos and ease of living gadgets on my current boat) but I just couldnt do it

I have a hard enough time here liviing with cisterns in my house and seing people rumage my trash and begging for water in the streets that I simply couldnt do such a thing

especially on a boat

and honestly guys if its smells you are talking about I have no idea how one could compare poo water smell in a head to any sort of bilge from a diesel

oil is a natutral product and hence goes bad if you will

I just plucked some dirty ass oil bilge water in my aft bilge compartment on my islander 36...

this compartment had never been cleaned as the water level isnt high enough to go up onto the next where there is a bilge pump so there is always stagnant water.

this crap smelled a million times worse than any grey seawater or pee water or poo water that stays in the little pocket of your head any day!

so guys lets keep it real

if you want to have a clean head use some joy and leave it sud in the bottom...ther are also other stuff you can use like regular toilet cleaners...even biodegardables or green type cleaners...

just me half a cent

peace