SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   How big a holding tank vs. camping (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/117282-how-big-holding-tank-vs-camping.html)

Minnesail 01-15-2014 03:06 PM

How big a holding tank vs. camping

MikeOReilly started about a thread what amenities are required to make being on a boat a step above camping.

I commented that a good, reliable head is high on my list. This comes from my experience actually camping (cabin without a toilet = camping, cabin with a toilet = condo), and from a charter I was on two years ago.

There were seven of us on a beautiful 39' 3-cabin Jeanneau. That's a bit tight, but I don't think it's an unreasonable number of people for a 3-cabin boat.

Except… for the 22-gallon holding tank! We were only out for three days and we were taking conservation measures like running a couple dinghy trips over in the morning so people could poop in the outhouses on shore, and when we were on shore for hikes or bonfires reminding everyone to pee before we went back to the boat, but we still filled that tank.

So my question is: What's the rule-of-thumb for holding tank size? I know it will vary from person to person and situation to situation, but assuming moderate beer consumption and a minimum of three days between pumpouts, how many gallons per person should a holding tank be?

barefootnavigator 01-15-2014 03:15 PM

Re: How big a holding tank vs. camping

I've been using a bucket ever since cracking a hodling tank in heavy weather the boat was ruined for life, it was a 3 year old Ericson 38. I will never again own a boat with a holing tank NEVER!

mad_machine 01-15-2014 03:18 PM

where do those of us with "fermentopotties" (composting toilets) sit?

jimgo 01-15-2014 03:32 PM

Art, I believe you still sit on the head.

Minnesail 01-15-2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefootnavigator (Post 1311178)
I've been using a bucket ever since cracking a hodling tank in heavy weather the boat was ruined for life, it was a 3 year old Ericson 38. I will never again own a boat with a holing tank NEVER!

I don't care if the Pardeys did it, YUCK! Anyway, I'm on the Great Lakes and inlands waters, so bucket-and-chuck-it wouldn't be legal for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad_machine (Post 1311202)
where do those of us with "fermentopotties" (composting toilets) sit?

Square on the pot, I hope!

Minnesail 01-15-2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimgo (Post 1311226)
Art, I believe you still sit on the head.

D'oh! You beat me to it.

caberg 01-15-2014 03:37 PM

Wag Bags. WAG BAG® | Cleanwaste Products We have never used -- nor ever desire to use -- the marine head and holding tank in our boat. Yuck.

Cruisingdad 01-15-2014 03:40 PM

1-3 gallons pp/per day, with 2 being a fair average depending on the head and the water/beer consumption. You can get one by dry bowling and conservation flushes, and three after Mexican Food night.

There is a rule amongst cruisers:

If its yellow, let it mellow. If its brown, flush it down.

Brian

jimgo 01-15-2014 03:54 PM

Caberg, I'm not sure the WagBags are for me, but I'm curious wher eyou get them. All I see is a link to the DOD Mall and the GSA Advantage site. I'm not in the government, so I can't order from either of those.

Alex W 01-15-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruisingdad (Post 1311282)
1-3 gallons pp/per day, with 2 being a fair average depending on the head and the water/beer consumption. You can get one by dry bowling and conservation flushes, and three after Mexican Food night.

There is a rule amongst cruisers:

If its yellow, let it mellow. If its brown, flush it down.

Since that makes for a stinky boat we have a different rule. If you are a boy and aren't in a marina then you pee over the side (legal, even though bucket and chuck it is not).

A 20 gallon tank lasts 5-7 days of cruising for us, a sample size of one couple.