Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2005

Vastbinder is on a distinguished road
Best Hull type?

So, if I decided to be silly enough to sail deep waters, what would be the most stable, idiot-proof type of hull?

I''m thinking in the 20-30 foot range and am hoping that''s big enough for larger waters like the Gulf of Mexico and such.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2005

PaulBl is on a distinguished road
Best Hull type?

Nothing is idot proof. Idiots seem to exceed specifications.

For large waters you might need to think more than 30 ft if you are at least smarter than an above average idiot.

It''s not that you can''t handle smaller boats but it sure ain''t fun. It is for fun I assume? Folks have done around the world in boats slightly larger than my dinghy, but it was not fun.

The difference between fun and possible is about 25 ft. The Gulf is bigger than Texas.
Old 06-20-2005

dman is on a distinguished road
Best Hull type?

Are you afraid that you cannot touch bottom?You would be more silly to sail in shallow waters.Idiot proof hulls? As i have said before,You cannot make anything idiot proof ,it just breeds a more efficient class of idiot.
Old 06-20-2005

FalconEddie is on a distinguished road
Best Hull type?

It has been my delightful journey into adventure that has provided me with the insight that, whenever I discover something new, I find in myself new, untapped idiocy with which to approach it.

It is only my long experience in this area that causes me now to pause and wonder what the hell am I thinking and will it cause a flow of blood or a cacophony of sirens and running feet and opening stretchers. I try to avoid these things now.

Any good hull in the hands of a prudent and careful man will offer tons of fun. Go fiberglass. Think O''Day 22 possibly. Do not think MacGregor or Buccaneer.

Remember the little Vietnamese guy who was drifting of the coast of California for some months last year? It was a small, inexpensive little boat. Quite seaworthy.
Old 06-21-2005

pjfsail is on a distinguished road
Best Hull type?

First of all, don''t pay any attention do "dman" he seems to be negative on any post. Look for a boat that is SEAWORTHY. There are many different designs and sizes. Of course, you will need to learn how to sail, learn about weather, learn how to read charts, learn how to navigate, and on and on it goes. But, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

Here is a quote by Henry David Thoreau.

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams.
And endeavores to live a life which he has imagined.
He will meet with a success unexpected in common dreams."

My advice is to continue with your dream and ask questions, ask questions, ask questions and read, read, read. Also, don''t pay ANY ATTENTION to the NAYSAYERS like "dman". I would suggest, at the beginning, to read all you can find written by Lynn and Larry Pardey. One in particular comes to mind, Sailing in Seraphyn. But, I would read ALL of what they have written, wet your appetite, and then go from there. Above all, KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE AND IGNORE THE NAYSAYERS. GO FOR IT.
Old 06-21-2005

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
Best Hull type?

There are so many hull forms, and pros/cons to each, that you will never be able to get a definitive answer here. I have my opinions, and there are those here who have their''s, and "never the twain shall meet". But here''s my two cents worth.

Ok, so you want to "Go to sea" in a sailing vessel, BRAVO! I am a strong proponent to cutting your teeth on a smaller (read 12-14 foot) dingy with a main and jib. You will learn more quickly and more for the actual "feel" of sailing than in any other method, PERIOD. A used "Blue Jay" can be had for about 500 bucks and will teach you all you need for starters. Sell it after a year, for the same 500 bucks, to another enthusiastic beginner and you will be keeping the sport alive. Also spend time sailing OPB (other people''s boats) as often as you can. Go to the local yacht club and post on the crew wanted/available board. You will learn TONS of stuff about sailing that would take the average cruiser years to learn, if they learn them at all. You will also be able to get an idea of what you might like in your future boat. So now you have learned on your dingy, and hustled around the racecourse for a year or two, and will have a great basis of information on which to go to the next level, finding your dream boat. If you are planning any extensive cruising, you are going to need at least 30 feet. It''s not about the size or speed or stuff like that, it''s about storage and seakindly motion. You need to have enough boat to take along the supplies you will need for extended time away from shore. And an overloaded small boat will be a horrible handfull in the nasty stuff. Not to mention the whole itimidation factor. A 10'' wave to a 20'' boat looks like a tsunami, but to a 35'' boat it looks like just another big roller.

With all that being said, spend some time looking on yachtworld using their advanced search feature. You can really narrow down the playing field there. You did not mention a budget, but you will be able to put one in there and search away. Go to the local marinas, the ones that seem to cater to sailors, and ask questions. Be polite, but ask an owner why he/she boght their boat, what are it''s strengths and weaknesses. You will be suprised at the number of folks who will ask you aboard to show off their pride and joy. Maybe even carry a little notebook to take down some realative facts. When you see something different on a boat, ask the owner why it is designed/rigged that way.

In you situation, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by being inquisitive.

As a parting shot, take a look at an Allied Luders 33. Inexpensive, rugged, "honest" boats. Nothing fast or flashy, just a good old boat that will get you there and back with not much fanfare or trauma. Their motion might not be to some folks liking, and they might not be fast enough for others, but as a first cruiser, it makes a sound purchse that you will not lose you shirt on when it''s time to sell. Just keep in mind, that when buying an older boat, you will be faced with the daunting task of bringing her systems up to date, unless you are lucky enough to find one that has had a well documented history or care, maintenance, and upgrades (very rare, unfortunately)
Old 06-23-2005

Best Hull type?

Hmmm... I''ve extensively discussed various hull options with some experienced folks, and I''m likely to go with the idea of a traditional "fin" type hull in the 30ft range.

I, personally, liked the looks of a full-keeled hull, but am told, (and common sense makes me inclined to agree) that a full-keeled hull would be both harder to maneuver and would roll front to back at bit more than a finned hull.

A couple other notes: I''ve already got a 14ft sailfish and "some" experience using it. I''ve got a 12 ft dinghy under construction currently. The 30ft boat is going to be made by me, next spring/summer.
Old 06-24-2005

sneuman is on a distinguished road
Best Hull type?

I believe your estimate of the time it will take to build a 30ft sailboat may need some adjustment. I am only a boat tinkerer, but my father was a full-fledged boat builder. He built a 24ft (power) cabin cruiser, and that project took about four years. She was beautiful, solid and seaworthy -- the formative boat of my youth, but she was definitely no rush job. I would seriously doubt that you could get far beyond laying up the hull in the timeframe you propose. And besides, would you want to go to sea in a boat you "threw together"? I wouldn''t.
Old 06-24-2005

Best Hull type?

Well, of course it''ll take longer than I think ;-) Most things do!

Though I''m sure it won''t be built as properly as one built by a professional, if anything, it''ll be overbuilt, so safety won''t be too big an issue. Also, this is being done after some fairly extensive study of other "already in use, tried and true" designs... so I won''t be pulling anything out of thin air.

I''ve always loved making things, though most of my work has been in steel. This project REALLY appeals to me!
Old 06-24-2005

sneuman is on a distinguished road
Best Hull type?

100% support here ... just know it''s going to be an involved project. but very satisfying, i''m sure.