Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2014
1988 Catalina 22

dixiedawg is on a distinguished road
tool of choice for hunting soft spots/rot

Odd, I've just spent an hour googling this simple question and I still don't have a definitive answer. A hammer of some kind, I assume, but WHAT kind?

I know I have an upcoming repair to do, and I want to try to determine the extent of the rot before I start cutting things open.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: tool of choice for hunting soft spots/rot

A moisture meter might help. That's what we had to find the soft spot on our deck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 01-15-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

your foot

Old 01-15-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road

Every survey I've ever witnessed used a rubber mallet to tap suspicious decking. There is a definite change in pitch when it hits a soft spot. Your foot, as mentioned, works pretty well too.
Old 01-16-2014

celenoglu is on a distinguished road

I use a steel hammer normally used for straightenning crashed car bodies. This gives a much better sound than plastic or rubber hammers. All you have to do is apply minimium hitting force.
Old 01-16-2014

sailvayu is on a distinguished road

Surveyors use a hard plastic hammer. A metal hammer may damage the gel coat. A rubber mallet is too soft. Surveyors are picky about their hammers and each one is a personal choice. I use the handle of a screw driver as I can tap rapidly with it finding smaller voids.
christian.hess likes this.

Old 01-16-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
Surveyors use a hard plastic hammer. A metal hammer may damage the gel coat. A rubber mallet is too soft. Surveyors are picky about their hammers and each one is a personal choice. I use the handle of a screw driver as I can tap rapidly with it finding smaller voids.
Amen.. I use a small shoe makers brass hammer with finely radiused edges for doing below waterline soundings. Above deck I use a phenolic hammer, or brass one side / plastic other side so as not to damage cosmetic gelcoat or LPU paints... Once you find a hammer you like you stick with it....

That said a moisture meter can be used to identify areas that need more sounding, if you know how to use one, and can also track changes/migration in core moisture over time....
christian.hess likes this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-16-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

for the hull its different the end of a screw driver has always been my fave...just tap tap tap and loo(smooth) over with your hand

on the decks honestly I dont get it...its called a soft spot for a reason....you walk around the decks moving and putting more weight on one leg then the other, move around if you see or feel any movement mark the spot

then go below decks and look at cabinetry, and bulkheads or hardware if you have any indication of a leak...mark spot, go up again on deck and dance around...

if you have delamination you will hear cabinetry and bulkheads squeak when walking directly over it...if you have detabbed bulkheads youll feel movement like the deck hitting the top of the bulkheads, etc...

if all you have is a soft spot mid deck where no hardware or bulkheads or cabinetry is under or around it then its an easy real easy fix... if there is stuff under a simple task can become quite major

Im doing this as we speak on my islander 36

there is a forward bulkhead that rotted, so every time I walk over it it reminds me FIX ME!

new ply, re tab, glass and some varnish and thats that

the deck is solid it whats under that failed

on small places where its soft and you know its a cored deck and hopefully ply there are many ways simple and detailed on how to fix it

cheers and good luck

Old 01-16-2014
1988 Catalina 22

FWIW, this is the cockpit floor (sole?) of my brand-new-to-me Catalina 22. Port stern corner. It's been cracked since owner-before-last, probably three years at the very least, PO thought it was no big deal and never touched it. Incredibly, it does not flex or sound rotten at all, to my untrained ear. It is wood cored though, and about an ounce of coffee-colored liquid oozed from it after a freeze last week.

Old 01-16-2014
1988 Catalina 22

[IMG][/IMG]