Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2014

pekae_uk is on a distinguished road
Coastal weekender

I'm considering buying a small(ish) boat, which I can use weekends and for shorter passages on the north/East Coast of England. I already have a Bavaria out in the Ionian, but can only get to her 2-3 times a year.
I've looked at Catalina, Hunter and similar, but would appreciate any advice - especially from owners.
Spec I'd like is: 25-30ft (or thereabouts); decent double berth, separate heads, inboard engine. I've generally looked for fin keel, but would be willing to look at twin bilge keel, etc., if someone can convince me that I should! Stability is quite key, as my wife isn't the greatest sailor! One thing I know is a tall order is that I'd like wheel steering - but realise that's probably unrealistic in this size vessel and Budget of circa £12000

All help/opinions gratefully received.

Last edited by pekae_uk; 01-16-2014 at 03:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2014

manatee is on a distinguished road
Re: Coastal weekender

Check out Dylan's site:

Keep Turning Left
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to manatee For This Useful Post:
pekae_uk (01-17-2014)
Old 01-16-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekae_uk View Post
I'm considering buying a small(ish) boat, which I can use weekends and for shorter passages on the north/East Coast of England. I already have a Bavaria out in the Ionian, but can only get to her 2-3 times a year.
I've looked at Catalina, Hunter and similar, but would appreciate any advice - especially from owners.
Spec I'd like is: 25-30ft (or thereabouts); decent double berth, separate heads, inboard engine. I've generally looked for fin keel, but would be willing to look at twin bilge keel, etc., if someone can convince me that I should! Stability is quite key, as my wife isn't the greatest sailor! One thing I know is a tall order is that I'd like wheel steering - but realise that's probably unrealistic in this size vessel and Budget of circa £12000

All help/opinions gratefully received.
Seems it should be totally doable. I think Dylan's keep turning left has a much smaller budget than this. He is a bit of a DIY type but for that money I think you should be able to find something to get you out on the water. There were even at least one Rival 32 or 34's that sold in that price range in the UK. If you do an advanced search on Ebay.uk and choose to show closed auctions it will show you some prices of actually sold boats, I don't know if I would buy on eBay but it gives you some idea of actual selling prices.

The twin keels were pretty much created there in the UK for there huge tidal range (I don't know where they were created but they are popular there for a reason), so they can dry out in a marsh and not flop over. They seem well suited to the local area. I don't know about wheels in the UK as to how popular they are but in that size range I would favor a tiller for the mechanical simplicity of it.

Since you have another boat, I would not worry to much about the performance or even appearance of this one so much, just call it your beater. Kind of like a commuter car just gets you to work cheaply this boat is just to get you out on the water.
The Following User Says Thank You to miatapaul For This Useful Post:
pekae_uk (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014

pekae_uk is on a distinguished road

Thanks Guys.
Manatee - I've been following Dylan's adventures via YouTube for some time - quite like the Katie L, but would probably prefer something a little bigger like a Centaur or similar. I'll take a look, definitely.

Miatapaul - Good tip on the eBay thing - will do a search. I'd not thought of a Rival - will add that to my searches. You're absolutely right about this just being a way of getting on the water! Thanks