Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: The Loss of The Alpha 42 "Be Good Too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Agreed. I'd like to see a list of boats turned away from any rally.
Well, we know that Hank has turned an applicant away from the NARC in the past, due to his concern over safety issues...

Hmmm, I'm searching my memory, here, trying to recall which other rally it was that the guy subsequently turned to, and who had no problem accepting his check...

:-))

Last edited by JonEisberg; 01-20-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2014

capt vimes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
There is nothing wrong with piercing bow hulls and they are not used in monohulls more widely because they create problems with the anchor set up. On a multihull they only have advantages if well designed.

But the same way that a torpedo keel, that in what regards lowering the CG only brings advantages, does not make sense to be fitted on an heavy fat boat, a wave piercing bow does not make much sense to be applied in a cat with a huge windage, brought not only by the cabin height but also by the height of the two hulls. In that sense I find both you and svHyLyte are right into considering that they are more for the image and publicity than for effectiveness and are in contradiction with the global design of the boat.

Regards

Paulo
But you know quite well that modern designs for monos go away from this piercing hulls for other reasons than anchor handling...

Rambler 100 is - by your own words - the fastest maxi there is and her bow is simply there for not diving to hard and deep into waves - adding bouyancy... Gives rise to the question why the new vor65 have those hammerhead bows - eh?
I now do not have much knowledge or interest in multis, but piercing bows are just a modest design fashion in my view because i cannot see the merits of it, if you are not racing in certain 'controlled' conditions...
Old 01-20-2014

The Smokester is on a distinguished road

Charlie Diane says in his article: "...with no sails up the starboard engine ruled, and the boat just turned to port; with sails up and drawing, in whatever configuration, the bent rudder ruled and the boat would only turn to starboard."

Does anyone think it could have been feasible to have sailed with the main on a starboard tack (with its tendency to turn to starboard) and feathering the starboard engine to compensate and thereby travel in a somewhat straight line?
Old 01-20-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
Charlie Diane says in his article: "...with no sails up the starboard engine ruled, and the boat just turned to port; with sails up and drawing, in whatever configuration, the bent rudder ruled and the boat would only turn to starboard."

Does anyone think it could have been feasible to have sailed with the main on a starboard tack (with its tendency to turn to starboard) and feathering the starboard engine to compensate and thereby travel in a somewhat straight line?
I think there are probably lots of things that "could have been done" if jury rigging was the ONLY option available. But most all of them were likely far more risky than rescue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I think there are probably lots of things that "could have been done" if jury rigging was the ONLY option available. But most all of them were likely far more risky than rescue.
Except, perhaps, when viewed from the perspective of the CG helo crew, or the Navy flight deck crew... :-)

We've come to view these operations as so routine, it's easy to forget the extreme jeopardy these people can be placed in... Just 10 days ago, after all, a Navy helo went down during a training exercise off Virginia Beach, killing 3 of its 5 crew...

Interesting take from another forum... Ken J is a retired US Navy captain, whose own daughter now serves as one of the few female captains in the Navy, can't say as I fault him at all for feeling this way:

if there was ever a case for the owner picking up the rescue bill, this is it.
Faster and Dog8It like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to JonEisberg For This Useful Post:
Dog8It (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Except, perhaps, when viewed from the perspective of the CG helo crew, or the Navy flight deck crew... :-)

We've come to view these operations as so routine, it's easy to forget the extreme jeopardy these people can be placed in... Just 10 days ago, after all, a Navy helo went down during a training exercise off Virginia Beach, killing 3 of its 5 crew...

Interesting take from another forum... Ken J is a retired US Navy captain, whose own daughter now serves as one of the few female captains in the Navy, can't say as I fault him at all for feeling this way:

if there was ever a case for the owner picking up the rescue bill, this is it.
Agreed. When I was talking about risk, I meant from the POV of those on the boat. This one doesn't look so good from all the other POVs.

Old 01-21-2014
Last Man Standing

Here's Charlie's take on the WPBs...

Quote:
No, I don't think the bows made any difference. I don't think a "conventional" plumb bow would have decreased the wave's impact, nor would it have enough additional buoyancy to lift the boat over the wave. More waterline length would make a difference, but then you're talking an entirely different boat.

Old 01-21-2014

billyruffn will become famous soon enough

In the context of the North Atlantic in January -- when I look at this photo one word springs to mind: DOCKWISE
Attached Thumbnails
The Loss of The Alpha 42 "Be Good Too"-image.jpg  
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 01-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post

That boat will eventually wash up somewhere and be recovered to someone's advantage.
I tend to doubt that, at least certainly not on this side of the pond... In the summer, maybe, but I'd be very surprised if it ever fetched up anywhere in North America at this time of the year...

Abandoning a boat 300 miles E of Virgina is not quite the same as doing so off Key Largo... Remember this guy, 'caught out' by the Polar Vortex? Sad story, looks like 1 more is added to the list of our nation's 60,000 homeless veterans...

Miami-bound sailboat found off Palm Beach after Keys sailor rescued in a storm - Florida Keys - MiamiHerald.com

Old 01-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
In the context of the North Atlantic in January -- when I look at this photo one word springs to mind: DOCKWISE
Unfortunately, Dockwise doesn't provide shuttle service in midwinter... :-)

When I look at that thing, and see those pics of snowdrifts on the docks at Liberty Landing, one word springs to mind:

BAHAMAS...

29 islands and 661 cays spread out over 180,000 square miles should be sufficient to keep any cruiser satisfied for a few months... Particularly, those sailng with only 3' 7" of draft...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 01-21-2014 at 12:14 PM.