Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
Re: One Last "All is Lost " thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
I was only making joke, I remember the bubbles when he was retrieving his shaving kit haha!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
I have seen several people on here that missed that part is all but you are right the thing that caused all his problems was stupidity and lack of attention to detail. Here's a thing I have always heard and I agree with you never abandon hip until you have to "STEP UP" into your life raft. His shaving kit was another of those good things people missed it had a signal mirror in the kit. Before thestorm he was using it to shave with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2014

mike21070 is on a distinguished road

I just watched it myself, also avoiding all of these threads so as not to spoil it.

My habit after watching a movie is to go to Wikipedia and read all about it. I was surprised to read how well it was received by critics and scored pretty high on its reviews. I'm just a noob, so a lot of the technical stuff went past me, but I could not get over the fact that he never once reached for a life vest....especially when jumping onto the container. I think the other aspect that bothered me was I didn't see any emotional outburst, save for the one word on the life raft. I kept saying to myself as I watched it "Really? He's not going to yell because of what just happened?"

When his boat was hit initially, he just kind of casually looks over the water pouring into the boat.....hmmm, well that's something you don't see every day. I also thought that while he was in the water with the life raft aflame, he should probably hold on to see if it actually attracts attention before sinking...

It was good, but I won't watch it again. Many thanks to the Pirate Bay...

Kudos to Redford for doing his own stunts, though.

Mike
Old 02-24-2014

mike21070 is on a distinguished road

I just copied this from the ending credits of the movie:

"All is Lost was shot on three 1978 Cal 39 sailboats purchased from their owners in Southern California. These three boats generously gave themselves up for art: Tahoe, Tenacious, and Orion. They took their final sail in the Pacific Ocean and performed beautifully in the film as Our Man’s boat, the Virginia Jean. Rest in peace."

I think it's pretty cool that he gave a shout-out to the boats themselves. I wonder how the owners feel knowing their boat was used and sunk for the film.
Old 02-24-2014

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike21070 View Post
I just copied this from the ending credits of the movie:

"All is Lost was shot on three 1978 Cal 39 sailboats purchased from their owners in Southern California. These three boats generously gave themselves up for art: Tahoe, Tenacious, and Orion. They took their final sail in the Pacific Ocean and performed beautifully in the film as Our Manís boat, the Virginia Jean. Rest in peace."

I think it's pretty cool that he gave a shout-out to the boats themselves. I wonder how the owners feel knowing their boat was used and sunk for the film.
What a terrible and senseless waste of three fine boats.
Old 02-24-2014

Jak is on a distinguished road

Horrible movie... Seriously.. "My boat is full of water, think I'll climb in the hammock and take a nap". Had he done two simple things... grab a bucket and bail out the boat, and thrown and ugly but serviceable fiberglass patch on the hull he would have been fine. I can not think of anyone that would have gone to sleep before those two things were done.
Redford seemed like a feeble confused old man throughout the movie... made me feel sad, like he needed a big hug or something

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-24-2014

Smier is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post
Horrible movie... Redford seemed like a feeble confused old man throughout the movie... made me feel sad, like he needed a big hug or something
I agree. My wife and I finally got to see it last night. We both hated it. I think this is what I hated the most about the movie. Redford's character reminded me of my 75 yr old father in law. Some one described his acting as wooden, but it really reminded me of an old guy who's starting to deal with early dementia or maybe even Alzheimer's... His emotionless reactions to crisis were exactly how my FIL wanders thru life sometimes with just a blank stare that makes you wonder if he's all there. I had such high hopes for the film, waited months to finally see it. If I hadn't paid $4.99 to stream it in HD, I probably would have turned it off.
Old 02-27-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

It's finally made it's way over here and I watched it on the plane yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I have seen several people on here that missed that part is all but you are right the thing that caused all his problems was stupidity and lack of attention to detail.
Thoroughly agree. Since Robert Redford is a highly respected and capable actor, from the opening until the very end, the level of stupidity demonstrated in all seriousness by his character was truly extraordinary and I worry about the message that the lack of an EPIRB (on boat or raft), failure to wear a life-jacket at any point and embarrassing attempt to radio a Mayday might send to anyone in the audience who was rather new to sailing.

You could argue that he was exhausted and so not thinking clearly at any point in the film, but having to go up the mast to re-attach the antenna which somehow miraculously unscrewed itself around the same time as the container strike was astounding to me. Perhaps it should have been called "How Not To Sail A Boat".

At least Captain Ron was funny..

Last edited by Classic30; 02-27-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-28-2014

dbrimm is on a distinguished road

Anyone care to theorize why when his boat rolled it went calmly and smoothly over until completely inverted then stayed there a long, calm time before more or less gently rolling back upright?

My first though was "oh **** he lost his keel" but that didn't seem to be the case and I have a hard time imagining the boat staying inverted like that with the keel still attached. I've been in a few knockdowns and in one partial roll over and it was anything but slow, smooth and calm.. and when the boat came back up it did it rather violently.

Then there's the dismasting and him cutting the rig free. There was only 1 line still holding the mast to the boat and he just simply cut it with his knife? No other rigging whatsoever still attached? No stay or shrouds? No running rigging?

Also when he was first holed and his ship was flooding did he not have any electric bilge pump(s)? No engine? No bucket?
Old 02-28-2014

Chas H is on a distinguished road

I was hoping to learn something about sailing watching this movie. What a disappointment. Instead I remembered some bonehead things I've done when over tired; things I would "never" do on a sunny morning after a good nights sleep. I once sailed into five feet of water with a five foot draft that I clearly saw marked on my paper chart. I was tired and wanted to tie up in a small marina. I didn't have to tie up or drop the hook until it was time to kedge off. I once anchored at dusk in a small cove with a rocky bottom and a lee shore. I did sleep soundly. I'm sure an angel stood on the anchor all night.

"All Is Lost" was a disappointing movie. I didn't want to put myself in Redford's Topsiders either. It was uncomfortable enough being on the same boat with him.

A great movie that is technically accurate for the most part and has some wonderful sailing footage of early 20th century fishing schooners is the 1937 production of "Captains Courageous" starring Spencer Tracy (who won an Academy Award for "Best Actor"), Lionel Barrymore, and Mickey Rooney. I'd sail with capt'n Disko Troop anytime.
-CH
Old 03-01-2014

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

" It was uncomfortable enough being on the same boat with him."

That has to be the most accurate, the best summation, the epic statement concerning how I and most others who have commented thought/felt/experienced about this movie.