Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2014

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
Re: One Last "All is Lost " thread

Finally had a chance to watch the movie. It was about as technically accurate as any movie I've seen lately. I always have to turn part of my brain off, which I did with this one before hitting play, having just heard Our Man say that he isn't a sailor and obviously neither is the director. After all, it wasn't intended to be an instructional video.

All in all I enjoyed the movie and plan on watching it again with my non sailing friends, I'm pretty sure they'll enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2014
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road

Interesting to read everyone's reactions to the film. I expected to makebit about 15min and ended up watching to completion. The film is not about sailing and is damn sure not about seamanship. It would have improved a lot by avoiding many of the flaws mentioned but lives up to the rules it makes along the way. It is very much about a man at crisis point and aims to address a variety of past films . though it is by no means on the same level as FitzCaraldo it has more to do with that sort of internal battle "to be or not to be" than an epic directly related to sailing . anyway It was grabbing for something rather difficult to attain. The crew took too many shortcuts on the way (especially his magical restoration to strength at the end on sighting the boat bottom. But Redford did some spectacular physical acting and sustained the thing for most of its length himself. if we lived in a era less dominated by sycophants in the film bizz its possible the director and producers might have addressed the worst of these issues but....then again they wasted how much on Burton and Liz in Cleo and that sucked from day one.....I think Redford saw something essential something reminiscent of Camute etc Anyway a seafaring yarn it is not Conrad or Courageous it is not but nothing ventured....nothing gained.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrimm View Post
Anyone care to theorize why when his boat rolled it went calmly and smoothly over until completely inverted then stayed there a long, calm time before more or less gently rolling back upright?
Yep.. Choose either (a) there a limit to what their rotating stage was capable of or (b) there's a limit to what a 77-year-old actor was willing to put himself through.. after all, it isn't "supposed" to be a movie about sailing.

Quote:
Then there's the dismasting and him cutting the rig free. There was only 1 line still holding the mast to the boat and he just simply cut it with his knife? No other rigging whatsoever still attached? No stay or shrouds? No running rigging?
I noticed that too. Highly convenient really, not having to use a rusty set of bolt cutters.

Quote:
Also when he was first holed and his ship was flooding did he not have any electric bilge pump(s)? No engine? No bucket?
That one's easy.. it seems we're brought in at the point where the electric pump has clogged up with bilge debris and allowed the water level to short out his electrics. Could you short out SLA batteries that way? Not sure, but that's another story.

On the subject of errors like that... maybe someone can check it if they're bored, but I vaguely remember the opening scene going something like this:
1. He wakes to see the container poking into the hull on a glassy sea with no wind.
2. He lowers the main(?) and tethers the container with his magical sea anchor...
3. He sails(*) off tacking a couple of times with enough breeze to heel the boat several degrees - enough to alternately get the above-waterline hole clear of the water and next tack put it back under. What would that take on a Cal 39? +5 knots??
4. He sails up to the container again to find the wind has magically died again and there's hardly a ripple on the water..

Compared with the 'technical defects' in "Gravity" (which (a) this movie is up against in the ratings and (b) is "not about space") which were mostly to do with orbital mechanics beyond the realm of most mortals, the 'technical defects' are both glaringly obvious and absolutely unnecessary. IMHO, compared to this, "ABBA" was a great sailing movie - also "not about sailing"..

EDIT: * = From pics available on the web it would seem he is 'sailing' quite happily to windward with NO sails up at all - which explains how he's able to achieve this. If true, I guess that makes him the most talented yachtsman on the planet and technically summarises the whole film..

(with apologies for the image size - I could find none smaller)
dbrimm likes this.

Last edited by Classic30; 03-03-2014 at 02:06 AM. Reason: More info to hand
Old 03-02-2014
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

I finally saw this movie. I thought it as was a good film. Not an instructional video. Not a movie about doing all the right things. Just a convincing story about Our Man's struggle and accepting fate. I wished he had an EPIRB, but it would have made for a much shorter flick.
Old 03-02-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
I wished he had an EPIRB, but it would have made for a much shorter flick.
Maybe... but what if the batteries were flat? Or it fizzed out like his radio? No, I think having an EPIRB would have made it a better flick. Or a marginally more believable one at any rate..

But then I still can't believe he didn't have any Orange Smoke flares in the liferaft - since that would have been a better choice in daylight than the Hand-held Red he used: actually, I found that part of the movie quite instructive, not having seen any demonstration before now of how difficult it is to see a red flare against a setting sun.

Last edited by Classic30; 03-02-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-02-2014
s/v Tiger Lily

What if he had a hot air balloon?
Old 03-03-2014
s/v Tiger Lily

Okay, Classic, I see your pic now ... I concede that is a little suspect.
Old 03-03-2014
clueless

dieselboy is on a distinguished road

I have been trying to watch this move so much so i have been doing it installments. it just makes me so mad that so little research went in to it. RR did the best job he could with such poor writers. There are so many poor and just plain bad decisions, things that few if any of us would do " like shave instead of prep your boat for a storm, sail around in a circle while your boat is holed etc" . It just insults my intelligence. When a 10 year old little girl looks up at me and asked why this guy is so stupid... That said it all right there..
RR did a good job but.. All is truly lost in this flick.
Old 03-05-2014

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

The wife and I just got done watching the movie. I agree with most... It was.... Terrible. Sorry, that was NO Oscar performance. Glad I didn't pay for it in a theater!
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 03-05-2014
Once known as Hartley18

FWIW here's a recent interview with the director - which I must admit, like the movie, makes no sense at all to me:

All Is Lost director JC Chandor on Robert Redford, the challenges of a wordless film and the fight for survival - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Perhaps it's what some people call "art"??

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.