Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2014

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: One Last "All is Lost " thread

I think post #5 sums the film and Redford's performance up perfectly. I also wonder how the OP is in any way "sailing related".
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2014

cranki is on a distinguished road

The movie was not made for sailors so they felt they could leave out things like EPIRBS and life jackets and heaving to, etc. etc. It was made for a general audience and for that the pace was way too slow. They would have been better off making this movie for us sailors because, other than what the RR name will bring there is no audience for this film.

I thought it sucked on many levels and Redford's performance was nothing special.

Caveat: I saw it on a plane ride and it ddi not do a great job holding my attention. I watched Captain Philips next, on the same plane ride and saw Tom Hanks deliver the best performance I have seen from him maybe ever.
Old 03-26-2014

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
LR = Liferaft.

As for impossible - my misunderstanding.

Okay - I'll stick with my damage analysis from the container. No freakin' way a boat gets holed like that by the corner of a container - ON THE AFT TOPSIDE - WHILE SAILING - ON A CALM DAY!
As David said, unlikely, definitely not impossible. Our Man asleep below, boat strikes moving container (driven by wind and current, as well as pitching due to motion of the ocean), even at a large, obtuse angle it's goint to punch a hole.
Old 03-26-2014

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidude View Post
Someone asked if they really deepsixed the Cal39. The answer is no. I recently toured the Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank, while on vacation in California. Imagine my surprise when the studio tour brought us right by the boat featured in the movie, which was quite safely and properly perched on Brownell stands.
It might have been used in some shots, but they actuall bought THREE Cal 39's here in So Cal, and took them down to Baja. None of those three came back.

(Excuse me if this thread has been considered dead, I just saw the movie last night, and had purposely avoided all of these threads until I had seen it for myself).
Old 03-27-2014

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
As David said, unlikely, definitely not impossible. Our Man asleep below, boat strikes moving container (driven by wind and current, as well as pitching due to motion of the ocean), even at a large, obtuse angle it's goint to punch a hole.
While I'd agree the way they portrayed it was impossible, the premise that a container could punch a hole in a hull is not. So, far from the most egregious oversight of the film.
On the other hand - A 70 year old man climbing back aboard after being swept over? - Ain't gonna happen!
BTW...Since he was dumb enough to tether himself to the lifeline, he would have never made it to 70. Darwin would have intervened long ago.

The boat rolls with the companion way hatch open (another Darwin award nomination) and gets back on her feet with little water below? Not gonna happen.
Either have him do the right thing and close the companion way in seas that could roll a boat, or let him be a dumb ass and pay the price (he'd have to bring out his mop again... or maybe he would shave first!) I could go on...

I'll give film makers some room for artistic license. However, this was just sloppy film making IMO.

Last edited by L124C; 03-27-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-27-2014

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

James Gund of "American Theater Magazine" writes: "True story: I fell asleep during the production, and when I woke up was so convinced that I was still dreaming, I got up onstage and walked around. The odd thing is the show is such an ugly mess that no one seemed to notice or care."

OOPS nevermind this is from a Bob Goulet SNL skit.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 04-14-2014

jnew is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas H View Post
A great movie that is technically accurate for the most part and has some wonderful sailing footage of early 20th century fishing schooners is the 1937 production of "Captains Courageous" starring Spencer Tracy (who won an Academy Award for "Best Actor"), Lionel Barrymore, and Mickey Rooney. I'd sail with capt'n Disko Troop anytime.
-CH[/SIZE][/FONT]
"If Walt Cushman beats me inta hahbah, I'll hang myself with an eel!"
Old 04-14-2014

Chas H is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnew View Post
"If Walt Cushman beats me inta hahbah, I'll hang myself with an eel!"
"Oh what a terrible man, oh what a terrible man!"
Old 05-20-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Louis CK certainly hated it:

Quote:
Celebrity catfight alert? Louis CK recently sat down with NPR—and, in an amusing tidbit of the interview picked up on by Vanity Fair, the comedian revealed that he was not a fan of Robert Redford's sailing drama, All Is Lost. You see, CK has a yacht, just like Redford's character in the movie and, well, "you shouldn't see movies about something you know about because I'm very into the boating and I know how to navigate," CK explains. "But this guy in that movie, he made so many stupid choices. So every 10 seconds I was just yelling at the screen."

He continues: "You know, there was a million things he could've done to ensure his safety that he didn't. Like, he's trying to figure out how to use a flare gun. I'm like who doesn't know how to use a flare gun who's in the ocean? You're in the open ocean and you're sleeping? He didn't have his water anchor out. A million things that he did that were stupid and it just made me mad." As for boating, though, CK explains that he loves it because "I love to learn. ... I have this 42-foot boat that can sleep six people and it can go anywhere almost in the world. I love that I used to stand next to a boat and go I have no idea how to do that. And now I do, from trying it."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-20-2014

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Louis CK certainly hated it:
Well, that's sort of a comical critique. Louis C.K. is hilariously funny, but he really can't hold himself out as some ocean going passage making expert.

Apparently he does own a boat, though.

Photo: Louis C.K.'s Yacht Gets Stuck In The Mud: Gothamist
smackdaddy likes this.