Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2014

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: One Last "All is Lost " thread

The show wasn't as breathlessly fast passed as our typical Matrix movie that is for sure.
I give the director props for trying something different. I'll never beat a guy up for trying some thing different even if it doesn't end up being extraordinary.

As far as the criticisms go most of them are based on modern technology.
The movie doesn't as far as I remember set a date.

If you imagined that it happened in the 60's, 70's or 80's then the lack of new electronics would be expected. Also the guy was old, you could also imagine that he decided to recreate a voyage he did in his youth, again without modern electronics.

His shaving rather than preparing for the storm I interpreted as his being so experience he knew exactly how long the storm would take to get to him and he said to hell with it, he would shave first and still have time to take care of the boat.

As far as learning how to use the sexton in 5 minutes I interpreted that has his knowing how to use it but years ago and he just looked at the directions for a few minutes to remind himself of the basics.

I wouldn't recommend getting off the boat to board the container but who of us hasn't done something a little reckless and gotten away with it.

He definitely knew how to sail. He knew how to do emergency fiberglass repair. He knew how to climb the mast. He had some basic electrical skills.

He almost never lost his head, he was physically strong, he was resourceful and calculating.

What the director was exploring was that someone could get into a situation that despite having average or probably above average skills, judgement, luck, strength and determination can ultimately be beyond their ability to conquer.

We all love Bond 007 and Luke Sky Walker, Vin Diesel et al. Who doesn't have an inner 16 year old that wants to talk tough, shoot bad guys one minute and shag several beautiful women the next while never breaking a sweat or messing up our hair.

That kind of movie has been done a thousand times and is almost guaranteed to be a "good" move, it is a winning formula.

So maybe the real reason this movie is getting panned is because we don't like the message that an old guy probably a lot tougher and smarter than us can have some bad crap happen and despite his best effort fail.

Just like every time we hear about some boat that sinks or gets in trouble our first instinct is to figure that it would never happen to us because we would do X.

So no this is not a feel good movie but it does make you think that despite ones best efforts sometimes they are just not enough.

Not a popular message to hear but true non-the-less.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2014

mattt is on a distinguished road

I find the criticisms of this film really frustrating and short sighted. The film takes place on a sailboat. But the film is not about sailing. It's a really good movie if you can wrap your head around that.
Steady Hand likes this.
Old 01-19-2014
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Not wanting to spend many hourse reading the long thread... Is the film worth seeing in the theaters? Or wait until it's out on Netflix?

Regards,
Brad
I would recommend you see it in a movie theater. The big screen is such a treat. There are a lot of things we don't do so well in America these days. Cinema we still do very well - probably better than ever. Yes this isn't a complete drama. It is a quirky character study with a single setting, a single actor and very limited dialogue. That said, I found it totally engrossing.

Are you surprised SN'ers think the sailor's actions were inexplicable??? Have you read Sailnet recently!!! No one is spared.

Actually, I found it refreshing that the sailor did not do everything exactly as one might be instructed or as the "wisdom" of the forums might dictate. Logic is something we construct to attempt to impose order on life. Life doesn't proceed in a rational orderly fashion. To expect it to be so on a singlehanded passage on a small sailboat -- in crisis -- is silly.

As a character study, as a chance to watch and consider how another sailor might act in a crisis and just as a chance to watch Redford act, I thought it was completely worthwhile and entertaining.

Old 01-19-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
I think that "startled" look that Redford has can be put down to too much Botox...

I just saw it (thanks Thepiratebay!) and I thought it was entertaining, though not a great film by any means. I can't see it being nominated for many awards.
So dis your copy have Arabic sub titles? I was glad it only had a few lines!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2014

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

I did not enjoy the movie almost from the beginning.

I get that the film isn’t a documentary or training film about sailing.

What I didn’t like was that there were so many errors in technical detail that it brought me out of the film. These errors could easily have been omitted by using a knowledgeable technical advisor and would not have diminished the plot in any way – in fact might have enhanced it.

Some of the actions taken by ‘Our Man’ defied belief or understanding. One scene that pulled me out of the ‘reality’ of the piece was when, with a flooded cabin (water up to his knees) our protagonist decided to take a nap rather than pump it out. I wasn’t able to take the rest of the film seriously after that.

I like Robert Redford. He is an American icon; a true ‘movie star’ who has had some excellent and entertaining roles in his career. In this film, however, his portrayal of stoicism and inflappability came across as confused and overwhelmed. My wife and I speculated that his character might have been suffering from Alzheimer’s or dementia and did not comprehend the gravity of his situation. In the two scenes in which ‘Our Man’ actually expressed emotion - holding his head in anguish and frustration; screaming out a profanity in anguish and frustration – Redford’s ‘acting’ was contrived and not believable.

In answer to those who suggest that those who did not like this movie didn’t because it was not of the typical Hollywood ‘Blockbuster’, shoot-em-up; car chase; gratuitous sex ilk I say this: that is a specious argument.

In my opinion movies should entertain and induce some kind of emotional response.

For me this film failed to entertain and the only emotion it drew from me was dissatisfaction.
smackdaddy and benesailor like this.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 01-19-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Robert Redford in this movie was far from oscar worthy. I'm glad he wasn't nominated; it would have diminished the credit of the academy.
Old 01-19-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We have a small non-profit independent film theater two blocks from the house. We see many films most have never heard of and enjoy them. As a general rule, we've found those that liked this film, enjoyed it modestly and more for the art of a film with no narrative. Some, in my opinion, just like Redford, no matter what. I wasn't aware of the opposite Fonda factor, although, I do hate Fonda. I've not found a single person who loved the film and more than half I know disliked it at some level.

I expected to find sailing errors, but the gross lack of attention to the technical aspects of sailing was confounding. An ASA101 grad would have made a better consultant and reduced the distraction of errors, which went far beyond those necessary to accommodate film shots.

Yes, it was hard to find in theaters. However, if I was a distributor that had to pony up the risky investment, I would have balked after seeing it too.

Netflix at best. You're life won't be missing anything, if you skipped it altogether. The Oscars got this one right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-19-2014

rbrasi is on a distinguished road
Seriuosly, bene? Are you aware that kim freaking basinger has an oscar for acting? Kubrick never won for directing and you think nominating redford would compromise the oscars' integrity? Ha!
As a side note, the objective of art is to draw thought. By that measure, this film succeeded on SN!
Steady Hand likes this.
Old 01-19-2014

Gregrosine is on a distinguished road

great summary. I'm not going to nitpick sailing issues
Old 01-19-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Seriuosly, bene? Are you aware that kim freaking basinger has an oscar for acting? Kubrick never won for directing and you think nominating redford would compromise the oscars' integrity? Ha!
As a side note, the objective of art is to draw thought. By that measure, this film succeeded on SN!
I have to agree with you; some years they haven't been known to have the best "picks". Keep in mind it's the competition that they are up against that year.

Still...... Redford still didn't put up the best performance. As a whole the movie sucked.