Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road
Re: One Last "All is Lost " thread

Post with spoilers!

Saw it last night with the Admiral. I really liked the movie. I agree with the previous posters that noticed that Our Man is flawed, but has a fascinating back story. This story is not a story for sailors as much as it is about Our Man. What brought him here? How can he survive this? How much more can he take? WHAT WOULD I DO?? His opening monologue sets the table perfectly.

I also think that this is the reason why there are no wide shots in the movie, except for those shot from below. The focus must remain on the character. Panoramic ocean views and shots of the boat under sail would be a distraction.

With his lack of skill and preparation, the character was obviously way over his head in taking on the trip. I also agree that he HAD to take on the trip unprepared, but why? Was he running away? Was he getting too old to go later?

I found myself constantly wondering what his profession could have been, to be so unflappable at all times. Was he a surgeon or successful businessman? The director did a great job of demonstrating the value of not panicking, when many of us would have been freaking out.

This may be a strange take on the movie, but I think the director deliberately humanized the character by leaving in the mistakes. This is obvious from the very first scene- he is sleeping in his vee berth when the container strikes the boat! He also doesn't have a signal mirror or a bucket. OBVIOUSLY, these issues would have been addressed in pre-production.

His weaknesses are offset by his two greatest traits- his ability to stay calm in the face of disaster, and his will to survive. Case in point- calmly shaving down below, instead of prepping for the storm. He has been through the wars of life before. This is how he survived before. This is how he will survive this disaster.

Again, I do not think this is a great sailing movie. It certainly isn't as good as Deep Water or many of the other sailing movies mentioned on this board. But it is a great character study, and was certainly worthy of some great discussion here.
Steady Hand likes this.
Old 01-22-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

I said it in another thread - fixing some of the blatant errors would have made the film much better without taking anything away from the character and his story arc.

For example, how in the hell does the boat GET IMPALED ON A CONTAINER ON THE AFT STARBOARD BEAM while the boat is under sail? Then you've got the shaving, the laziness in keeping the water out of the boat, on and on. It just made no sense.

It's worth watching - but only on Netflix for free.
rivorsaylor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-22-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2014

It must have been the shoes!
Old 01-22-2014

remetau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I said it in another thread - fixing some of the blatant errors would have made the film much better without taking anything away from the character and his story arc.

For example, how in the hell does the boat GET IMPALED ON A CONTAINER ON THE AFT STARBOARD BEAM while the boat is under sail? Then you've got the shaving, the laziness in keeping the water out of the boat, on and on. It just made no sense.

While he was sleeping, a mammoth container ship that had wander out of the shipping lanes aggressively altered course to miss this abandoned sailing vessel after attempting to reach said vessel on VHF. The force of such a course alteration caused a container to fly off the ship at such a great speed that it pursued the sailing vessel until an inevitable collision occurred.
smackdaddy likes this.

Old 01-22-2014

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

I think this would be a great movie to play the drinking game. Buy the DVD, invite your sailing buddies over, play the movie for 10 minutes, hit pause and the one with the less number of errors spotted in that 10 minute period has to chug a beer.

I can also see this movie showing up on "Mystery Science Theater 3000" in a few years.
flyingwelshman likes this.

Last edited by Captainmeme; 01-23-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-22-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I found myself constantly wondering what his profession could have been, to be so unflappable at all times. Was he a surgeon or successful businessman? The director did a great job of demonstrating the value of not panicking, when many of us would have been freaking out.
He was a Mortician.
Old 01-23-2014

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

1. Shaving.
It is a rational response to a very stressful condition to perform a routine chore to give oneself a chance to think. During the trip when our transmission got stuck and we couldn't start the engine the delivery captain decided to break for lunch. It gave us all a chance to think and come up with a solution which we did.

2. Laziness in keeping water out.
I interpreted that as exhaustion not laziness. He had been working very hard for a long time and just had to sleep, he passed out.

3. Starboard beam impact.
It didn't look like the boat was traveling very fast. If he was crossing the stream for example and the container could be traveling at a knot or two in one direction while his boat could be going in a different direction and impact.

Yes it is highly unlikely that the collision point would be there just as it is highly unlikely that he would hit anything at all.

Hanks catamaran getting hit by a wave and forcing it backwards enough to damage two rudders instead of just breaking a set screw is probably even more unlikely.

I think that was the whole point of the movie.
Unlikely things happened to a tough capable guy with a lot of experience to the point where his life was at risk.

Every time I've been in a situation that was dicey it could easily be argued that in every case everything that happened was very unlikely.

It is just in my case, so far, the sequence of unlikely events didn't exceed my ability to handle them, YET.

The point of the movie IMHO is that even capable level headed experienced guys are subject to the forces of chance. We don't always make it.
Steady Hand likes this.
Old 01-23-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Oh, okay, fine...I loved it.
davidpm likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-24-2014

You gotta love it, or hate it for 5 years when the next movie with a sailboat in it comes out.
Old 01-24-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCandC View Post
You gotta love it, or hate it for 5 years when the next movie with a sailboat in it comes out.
Nonsense. I will just keep replaying Capt Ron.

Anyone know if they ever sold a soundtrack to the movie?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.