Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2014

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: One Last "All is Lost " thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
He stopped trying to fish/eat because a shark snatched his first catch.

He didn't try to keep the LR cover to protect him from the sun.

He let 2 ships sneak up on him (too late for the flares) after waiting for several days just to get in the shipping lane.

Then he burned his liferaft down.
He no longer had any equipment to fish with. It was lost during the shark problem. I thought that was obvious.

I don't remember the LR cover sequence please remind me. I don't know what you mean by LR in any event.

Notice the challenge wasn't that every move he made was perfect from a monday morning quarter back perspective.

The challenge was to show something that happened in the movie that couldn't have happened. People that are tired, hungry and thirsty can make mistakes in fact I think you can count on them making mistakes.

I've already explained the burning down the raft. It may have been the most prudent course to give it his all and take a chance that a big stinky rubber fire would get some attention if he knew he wouldn't survive much longer anyway.

But since no one can come with anything that was impossible I'll extend the challenge to include seamanship choices.

He did a lot of things I would not have felt comfortable doing but none of those activities directly lead to worsening his situation.

What did he do wrong as a seaman, I'll bet I can defend everything he did.

I'm assuming the time frame was maybe the 60's when the radio he had was state of the art. I'm also assuming he had normal gear for his day for that kind of boat not anything cutting edge.

This one I'll probably regret as someone has to come up with something.
smackdaddy and newhaul like this.

Last edited by davidpm; 01-29-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

LR = Liferaft.

As for impossible - my misunderstanding.

Okay - I'll stick with my damage analysis from the container. No freakin' way a boat gets holed like that by the corner of a container - ON THE AFT TOPSIDE - WHILE SAILING - ON A CALM DAY!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-29-2014

06HarleyUltra is on a distinguished road

There are mistakes in the movie, just like in real life. I wonder how a mid aged, tired, thirsty, concussed (possibly), frustrated person would do in real life.

Overall: not bad. Certainly not an award winner IMHO.

Rich
davidpm likes this.
Old 01-29-2014
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Fun thread!

I guess I will rent it and watch now! Just to connect with all the discussion I am reading here. It might be more entertaining than the movie. It can't help but add to it!

down
davidpm likes this.
Old 01-29-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There are mistakes in the movie, just like in real life. I wonder how a mid aged, tired, thirsty, concussed (possibly), frustrated person would do in real life.
Having witnessed this first hand in the battlefield you would be surprised what happens. (5 tours in the middle east)
Generally older more mature individuals adapt well and are able to rationalize risks and fight of fear/panic exceptionally well. (35-50 age group)
I have found that young (18-25) have the hardest time dealing with agonizing life and death issues. Not all, just some. I'd rather have a Army of 30-35 yr olds. Strength and brains.

This is why i had a hard time understanding his mental condition during the film. Ever heard the phrase"fight or flight".

It would have been much better if it hadn't been filmed in a pool and had somebody that made bad decisions rather then curled up in a ball and cried. (essentially) Don't know to many sailors that would behave like him.
Would have been better if he tied an anchor to his foot and jumped overboard with it; at about the 15 minute mark. But then again, that would have interupted my nap.
Old 01-29-2014

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

You know what bugged me the most (besides his complete lack of emotion (squint, stare, frown, shout a bit, repeat...); water-logged water-proof electronics; turning to starboard to bring the above-the-water-line-but still-pouring-buckets-of-water-into-the salon gaping hole below the water line, when a turn to port would have brought the hole further out of the water; taking a sighting through the clouds; etc. etc. etc.)?
What bugged me most was that he used a pen to mark his charts. A pen!

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 01-29-2014

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
What bugged me most was that he used a pen to mark his charts. A pen!
Maybe he wasn't planning on making any more trips.
James757 and TTC like this.
Old 01-30-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Second one down is knurled but with a couple of flattened spots for a wrench.

What else do you have?
Your challenge was a plausible backstory, not any backstory. It's plausible that the Director just didn't care about this detail.

Quote:
By the way I'm not even reaching here.
I'll bet that within an hour I could find some part that 7 out of 10 sailnet experts would say was not being used properly on any boat over 20 years old.
Your challenge was on any event, ie using the wrong tool, not any part. You are reaching.

Quote:
Shease give me something I have to think about.
Ok, then. The verdict is already in from the professionals that reviewed this movie. Zero oscar nominations.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-30-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
He no longer had any equipment to fish with. It was lost during the shark problem. I thought that was obvious.

I don't remember the LR cover sequence please remind me. I don't know what you mean by LR in any event.

Notice the challenge wasn't that every move he made was perfect from a monday morning quarter back perspective.

The challenge was to show something that happened in the movie that couldn't have happened. People that are tired, hungry and thirsty can make mistakes in fact I think you can count on them making mistakes

I've already explained the burning down the raft. It may have been the most prudent course to give it his all and take a chance that a big stinky rubber fire would get some attention if he knew he wouldn't survive much longer anyway.

But since no one can come with anything that was impossible I'll extend the challenge to include seamanship choices.

He did a lot of things I would not have felt comfortable doing but none of those activities directly lead to worsening his situation.

What did he do wrong as a seaman, I'll bet I can defend everything he did.

I'm assuming the time frame was maybe the 60's when the radio he had was state of the art. I'm also assuming he had normal gear for his day for that kind of boat not anything cutting edge.

This one I'll probably regret as someone has to come up with something.
Going on deck to put up the storm jib when it would have been more prudent to deploy the drogue to stabilize the vessel prior to going forward in those seas also he had no jack lines. he clipped his safety line into the lifelines a proper jackline would have kept him on deck.
I would put the timeframe sometime in the last 5 years judging by the nice notebook computer on the Nav station when the vessel was first holed and the west system epoxy emergency repair kit he used to fix the hole
You put forth the challenge

Last edited by newhaul; 01-30-2014 at 03:10 AM.
Old 01-30-2014

upshift is on a distinguished road

You want an impossibility?

Hooking a drogue up to the sea container in a flat sea would never flip it. The physics for that doesn't add up. A real anchor would have given a downward force and could have rotated the container if the math worked out but the drogue would simply float alongside…