Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2014

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Re: One Last "All is Lost " thread

When the DVD shows up in the five dollar bin at Walmart I'll buy it just so I can play the drinking game with my sailor buddies. There have been other movies with little dialog that are so much superior to this movie, most of Cast-Away (Tom Hanks) and Soldier with Captain Ron (Kurt Russell). Its time for Redford to sail into the sunset.
Old 01-31-2014

Steve523 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=weinie;1318650]Sail magazine just summed it up best:

"The most anticipated sailing film of the past year, of course, was a major feature, All is Lost, starring Robert Redford as an unnamed solo sailor who loses his Cal39 in the Indian Ocean. Unfortunately, the film's creators made no effort to make it at all realistic and any sailor watching it is apt to feel insulted and annoyed.

I agree, and I kept trying to figure out why the hell he would not heave to, and no trysail, no sea anchor out, just hoist the storm jib and let it run? No real effort to provision early on for abandoning the vessel. I kept asking myself why the heck is he not doing this, why not that. Lost all his water to a vent cap!?? I would have had that thing buried in duct tape and a 20 foot painter on the handle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2014

TTC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybyknight View Post
What I would like to know is:
"Did they really deep six that Cal 39?"
Yes.

Three Cal 39s.

The credits name three Cal 39s that were bought in Southern California and have themselves to the art. The credits say, "Rest in peace," for the three boats.
Old 02-03-2014

kuriti is on a distinguished road

Just saw the movie yesterday. I was also frustrated watching it. I guess if you stretch your mind that a completely irresponsible sailor made it from America to the middle of the Indian Ocean with fair wind and following seas, wherein only then began a cascade of terrible situations and decisions, then sure it's plausible. Had he been off the coast of Catalina I would be fine with the "old boat/rusty sailor" excuse.

It doesn't make sense simply because the film makers were lazy. Somebody check me, but i thought i saw that he tied the bowline wrong in the first scene. He went in the hole instead of coming out. That kind of thing i can forgive, but not the sum total. It is the same issue with the recent Kon Tiki film. I re-read the book after watching the film. It is still exhilarating what actually happened. Why crap it up with ridiculous scenarios.

I like Redford, but his acting in this was wooden. If acting is behaving in a way that convinces us that he is really another person in a given situation, then he fails. Anyone who wakes up 1000 miles from nowhere with water gushing in their boat is going to freak the f#$% out, period. You would have thought a flying fish landed on the deck and he was getting up to kick it overboard. Unless his mysterious past was spending a decade in a Buddhist monastery, then his reaction was uncommon. If his calmness comes from his vast experience and inherent resourcefulness then he would have never been so unprepared. Maybe his stoicism comes from consistently finding himself in shitty situations he created and this film just shows how it ended.

Last thing I haven't seen anyone mention. He abandoned ship with no supplies, ostensibly because he expected it to sink imminently, while tied to said ship. I was trying to suspend disbelief assuming they would just cut and the ship would be gone and we would pretend it wasn't attached in the previous scene. Then, low and behold, there is the ship in the morning, just like he planned? If it had gone down in the night, it would have pulled him down with it. If not, why abandon ship?

just mental laziness on the film makers part.
Old 02-04-2014

neverknow is on a distinguished road

Not only does this movie not deserve any awards they should be ashamed for making it. I mean the guy doesn't even ever put on a life vest. Even city people who have never been on a boat knows that should have been the first thing the guy should have done.
Minnewaska and Magnolia like this.
Old 02-10-2014

mhill0531 is on a distinguished road

There are some compelling things about the movie I guess, but I found myself going crazy as the character in what should have been titled "The Knucklehead and the Sea" went from one really goofy decision/mistake to the next. I know I yelled "what are you doing?" at the TV like 20 times if I did it once. And it was really hard to suspend disbelief.

I just don't see the sailor who is confident/knowledgeable enough in their experience and ability to solo into the middle of the IO being simultaneously so goofy. The whole scenario felt like he wasn't a real sailor, but got drugged and deposited on a sailboat in the middle of the IO, as half the movie seemed like he was surprised at yet one more aspect of sailing and the ocean in general.

It was fun to watch once, but if I watched it again I'd be making notes and all the inconsistencies just to clown it on message boards. He wasn't snubbed for an Oscar nod, the movie simply isn't worth one.
Minnewaska and rivorsaylor like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to mhill0531 For This Useful Post:
jgeissinger (02-11-2014)
Old 02-10-2014

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

I haven't seen the movie yet and I'll wait for the DVD which is coming out soon. Once the price drops to 5 bucks I'll get it and put it next to the Dead Calm DVD. It can't be any worse than that one?
Old 02-10-2014

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhill0531 View Post
got drugged and deposited on a sailboat in the middle of the IO.
That was in the prequel, Redford Got Lost.
Old 02-10-2014

HEXE is on a distinguished road

all i lost was 3.99 and 2 hours.
I realy enjoyed this movie... it provided me with plenty of audience participation...
yes i was yelling at the tv many times....
NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO SHAVE !!!!!!!.....
found myself humming johhny cash ring of fire at the end.....

my only hope is that the boat got refitted and is sailing happilly someplace.. but i guess that hope was lost too.
blowinstink likes this.
Old 02-10-2014

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

AS a pilot i'm always frustrated watching movies about flying. The directors never get it right. Many times it takes me right out of the movie. Finally, with the movie Flight, they got a lot of the tech stuff right. But Flight isn't a movie about flying. And "All is Lost" isn't a movie about sailing. That many didn't enjoy Redford's wordless performance neatly explains why most of us should never go to Sundance. It's what my friends and i call an artsy movie. Where the imperiled character shaves to do something normal one last time before he dies ,honestly, who's gonna get that other than an artsy film critic?

it's a movie that defies conventions and stereotype. As one friend put it, sailors are gonna be disappointed because it's not a movie about sailing, it's a movie about sinking. Those who like everything spelled out with a tidy ending are going to feel very cheated.

As for the technical omissions, even run of the mill action movies have our heros climbing out of cars wrecked at high speeds. You know, the kinda crash that sends anyone in them to an ER or morgue. Yet we enjoy those movies. We suspend belief. Relative to that, this movie was just fine.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.