Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2014

TJC45 is on a distinguished road
Re: One Last "All is Lost " thread

They used 3 Cal 39's. All three were pretty much used up in the movie. One was holed for the exterior sailing shots. That boat was actually sailed daily in and out of a marinas while used in production. Another was used for interior shots, many flooded. the third was used for the rolling sequences. because CGI was used only to produce storm effects, the film's makers rolled a real boat to create the scenes.

I haven't found anything that tells of the fate of the boats, but sounds like they were pretty much done in by the movie's production.

That said, the film's producers own the boats and could be contacted to see if there is anything left worth buying if one was interested.

Interestingly, years ago, on the original Hawaii Five O McGarret's cars attracted a fan club. That Jack Lord, who played McGarret had an affinity for Mercurys played a part.

The original Hawaii Five o car, a 1968 Mercury Park Lane, was destroyed on camera in a collision and fire in about season four or five. 20 plus years later some guy tracked the car down to a warehouse in Hawaii spent a long time sorting out ownership Bought the car, which wasn't destroyed, restored it and uses it as a show car.

My way of saying, anyone who wants a cheaper Cal 39, make a phone call, ya never know!

Last edited by TJC45; 02-10-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Hey, I finally have something positive to say about this movie. We rented Bad Grandpa this past weekend. Shut if off half way in. I would watch All is Lost again, before finishing it.

However, AIL still stunk.
Smier likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-10-2014

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
That many didn't enjoy Redford's wordless performance neatly explains why most of us should never go to Sundance.
That old chestnut that states: "It's a great movie! If you didn't like it it's because you didn't understand it." doesn't always (often) hold water. Most of the time, including this time, the movie is crap plain and simple.

The whole 'suspension of disbelief' concept is critical to the effectiveness and popularity of a film. Why would movies about robots and spaceships, dwarves and wizards etc. have such mass appeal otherwise?

Most audiences know the impossibility of surviving car wrecks, plane crashes, alien invasions, zombie apocalypses etc. but we allow ourselves to buy into them because the plot, the acting, the cinematography, the music, etc. make us want to.

In the case of All Is Lost we weren't caught up in or distracted by the acting, the plot, the grandeur, the music etc. so we focused on the mundane realities of those things with which we are familiar. And we found them unrealistic.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and sometimes a bad movie is a bad movie.
neverknow likes this.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 02-10-2014

weinie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
They used 3 Cal 39's. All three were pretty much used up in the movie. One was holed for the exterior sailing shots. That boat was actually sailed daily in and out of a marinas while used in production. Another was used for interior shots, many flooded. the third was used for the rolling sequences. because CGI was used only to produce storm effects, the film's makers rolled a real boat to create the scenes.

I haven't found anything that tells of the fate of the boats, but shounds like they were pretty much done in by the movie's production.

That said, the film's producers own the boats and could be contacted to see if there is anything left worth buying if one was interested.

Interestingly, years ago, on the original Hawaii Five O Mc garret's cars attracted a fan club. That Jack Lord, who played McGarret had an affinity for Mercurys played a part.

The original Hawaii Five o car, a 1968 Mercury Park Lane, was destroyed on camera in a collision and fire in about season four or five. @0 plus years latter some guy tracked the car down to a warehouse in Hawaii spent a long time sorting out ownership Bought the car, which wasn't destroyed, restored it and uses it as a show car.

My way of saying, anyone who wants a cheaper Cal 39, make a phone call, ya never know!
If no one bought the Captain Ron boat, certainly no one is buying this one.
Old 02-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
That old chestnut that states: "It's a great movie! If you didn't like it it's because you didn't understand it." doesn't always (often) hold water. Most of the time, including this time, the movie is crap plain and simple.

The whole 'suspension of disbelief' concept is critical to the effectiveness and popularity of a film. Why would movies about robots and spaceships, dwarves and wizards etc. have such mass appeal otherwise?

Most audiences know the impossibility of surviving car wrecks, plane crashes, alien invasions, zombie apocalypses etc. but we allow ourselves to buy into them because the plot, the acting, the cinematography, the music, etc. make us want to.

In the case of All Is Lost we weren't caught up in or distracted by the acting, the plot, the grandeur, the music etc. so we focused on the mundane realities of those things with which we are familiar. And we found them unrealistic.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and sometimes a bad movie is a bad movie.
What you mean to say is that you weren't caught up by the acting. Which is a shame cause Redford did one hell of a job! But i get it, the movie wasn't what you expected. You expected to see a sailing movie and instead you got a movie about man verses adversity. A movie that purposely let the camera sit on Redford as he performed mundane realities, like eating for instance, juxtaposed against the danger of his situation. A movie that uses none of the cliche devices we'd expect in a movie like this. And finally, a movie that uses a sailboat a mere plot conveyance.

So i can't agree with you that it was a bad movie.

I understand why you are not happy. Lionsgate, the film's distributor agreed and cut it off at the knees with a limited showing. Probably cost Redford a best actor nom. But business is business. The good news is "Ride Along" is still playing at theaters, making big money with all the familiar "suspension of belief" devices proving that Hollywood knows what sells. Something for everybody!
davidpm, br3nt and Steady Hand like this.
Old 02-10-2014

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So i can't agree with you that it was a bad movie.
Well, 'one man's meat is another man's poison' as they say.

You are right, I was not taken by Redford's acting. I found it wooden and lacking any semblance of subtlety or nuance. His two forays into emoting consisted of over-the-top and unrealistic hamming. The majority of the film had 'Our Man' looking confused and overwhelmed. A great actor could make the act of shaving, eating or any other mundane activity interesting. Not so Redford in this film.

I believe that the distributors of the film made the right choice in cutting their losses and not promoting the film more than they did. They probably did Redford a favour by not exposing this embarrassment to a wider audience.

Your attempt to elevate this film by speculating on and demeaning the type of entertainment enjoyed by others does nothing to bolster your argument or sway anyone to your opinion.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 02-10-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

As I've said in one of these threads, we have an indie film theater within walking distance. We attend all the time and consider ourselves fans of the approach. Almost everyone I know locally, disliked this film. There were a couple that admittedly just can't dislike Redford or found a film without words to be different enough to maintain their attention. None thought it was a particularly well done piece and neither did the distributor nor the Academy. in fact, it close in our theather in about a week, which is unusual. Trivializing one's critique as expecting a sailing movie is unjust. Other than my wife and I, none others are sailors nor expected a sailing movie. The trailers made that quite clear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-10-2014
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
As I've said in one of these threads, we have an indie film theater within walking distance. We attend all the time and consider ourselves fans of the approach. Almost everyone I know locally, disliked this film. There were a couple that admittedly just can't dislike Redford or found a film without words to be different enough to maintain their attention. None thought it was a particularly well done piece and neither did the distributor nor the Academy. in fact, it close in our theather in about a week, which is unusual. Trivializing one's critique as expecting a sailing movie is unjust. Other than my wife and I, none others are sailors nor expected a sailing movie. The trailers made that quite clear.
Maybe the most entertaining movie I saw last year.
davidpm likes this.
Old 02-11-2014

Yet the movie received major critical acclaim, with something like 87% of reviewers giving it a positive review. Good enough to earn it 4.5 stars out of five.

That said, I agree that a movie such as this can be frustrating to watch because it is not conventional. Which is the proper context of my reference to the other film. Which is nothing but conventional. ( not a put down)

We all watch movies, or read books, or attend concerts, or participate in sporting events to be entertained. Entertainment is a highly personal pursuit. Some things ring the bell and others are a complete miss. But to call any movie bad simply because you, personally, didn't like it is off the mark. it's like me saying Soccer sucks because I can't watch it for more than five minutes without nodding out. So, more like, not my thing.

Anybody want to talk about "Cloud Atlas?" LOL!!!!!!
Steady Hand likes this.
Old 02-11-2014

I suppose we should all stick to our opinion, as one has never been changed in the history of the internet, and discontinuing trying to tell those with the opposing view why they feel the way they do.
Squidd and TJC45 like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.