Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2014

azguy is on a distinguished road
One Last "All is Lost " thread

From the NY Post:

Robert Redford was snubbed by the Oscars on Thursday, and he then bashed the distributors of his film, “All Is Lost,” saying, “We had no campaign.”

Redford was put into a nightmare p.r. situation on Thursday when the same day he’d been overlooked by the Oscars in the best actor category, he had to address the media at the annual opening press conference of his Sundance Film Festival.

Appearing at the Egyptian Theater in Park City, Utah, a moderator asked Redford about his exclusion from the Oscar nominations as the very first question. But while he said, “I’m not disturbed by it,” Redford couldn’t help but take a swipe at the film’s indie distributors, Lionsgate and Roadside Attractions. “Let me speak frankly about how I feel about it,” Redford said, before adding, “In our case, we suffered from little to no distribution… I don’t know why… they didn’t want to spend the money or they were afraid… were just incapable, I don’t know.” “It would have been wonderful to be nominated of course,” he said at the Sundance press conference. “It is a business and we couldn’t conform to that… I was happy to be able to do this film because it was independent and it stood the chance of having a wider distribution had they stepped up.”

He summed up, “So that’s what’s on my mind… the rest of it is not my business… it’s somebody else’s business. I’m fine.” And he also mused, “Hollywood is what it is. It’s a business…

There’s a lot of campaigning… it can be very political,” but, “I’m not disturbed by it or upset by it.” The film has made $6.1 million at the box office since its release in October, and is currently playing in 67 theaters. Redford had been considered to be an Oscar frontrunner. He was at the Golden Globes awards Sunday night as a nominee.
Old 01-17-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Re: One Last "All is Lost " thread

Not wanting to spend many hourse reading the long thread... Is the film worth seeing in the theaters? Or wait until it's out on Netflix?

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2014

davidpm is on a distinguished road

I liked it for what it was.
It showed how a really tough competent guy who seems to have his act together and didn't let stuff get to him gradually got beat down by something much bigger than him until he was completely helpless and depending on pure luck.

The issue many sailors take with it is that most of his decisions could easily and rightly be second guessed.

That being said the terror of being in a ship in a storm that was in real trouble was displayed about as well as it could have been.

There was little drama like we are used to.
No Crying, praying. No young pretty female counter point for him to spar with no young person or pet for him to talk to.

The movie was pretty much defined by what it left out.
All that was left was a tough guy just going about his business of trying to survive in a really tough situation and loosing inch by inch until he had nothing left.

Last edited by davidpm; 01-17-2014 at 06:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to davidpm For This Useful Post:
jwing (04-14-2014)
Old 01-17-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Thanks David.

Regards,
Brad

(I know someone who won't see a Robert Redford movie because Robert Redford was once in a movie with Jane Fonda.)
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 01-17-2014

weinie is on a distinguished road

Sail magazine just summed it up best:

"The most anticipated sailing film of the past year, of course, was a major feature, All is Lost, starring Robert Redford as an unnamed solo sailor who loses his Cal39 in the Indian Ocean. Unfortunately, the film's creators made no effort to make it at all realistic and any sailor watching it is apt to feel insulted and annoyed.

Redford's performance was hailed as Oscar-worthy, but all I saw was a man who looked confused and aggravated for an hour and a half. I had the exact same expression on my face the entire time I was watching him."
L124C likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to weinie For This Useful Post:
jwing (04-14-2014)
Old 01-17-2014

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

With the cold ,the snow,and the ice : it would be a big seller if they would play the movie around here! Just to see soft water with a sail boat would sell me!....Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 01-17-2014

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

We just watched it (the credits are rolling as I type).
I agree wholeheartedly with Sail Magazine's review.
There were far too many technical errors. They made it impossible to suspend disbelief.
The film made Dead Calm look like a documentary.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingwelshman For This Useful Post:
jwing (04-14-2014)
Old 01-18-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Not wanting to spend many hourse reading the long thread... Is the film worth seeing in the theaters? Or wait until it's out on Netflix?

Regards,
Brad
I enjoyed it. I expected the issues with reality. Heck it is a movie so by nature it will be unrealistic. I would not have been happy if I paid $10 (or $40 for a family) as I would have been the only one who could have sat through it in my family. I downloaded a screener copy so I got my moneys worth. I would wait till it is out on Netflix.

I did not think he looked at all confused. I think he is just kind of unflappable, and seemed resigned to his fate. If the actor was 20 and acted like that I would have found it completely unbelievable.
davidpm and Lucky dog 2 like this.
Old 01-18-2014

copacabana is on a distinguished road

I think that "startled" look that Redford has can be put down to too much Botox...

I just saw it (thanks Thepiratebay!) and I thought it was entertaining, though not a great film by any means. I can't see it being nominated for many awards.
Old 01-18-2014

jppp is on a distinguished road

Netflix
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.