Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2014

manatee is on a distinguished road
Att'n: travlineasy -- Salty's Bar & Grill in Marathon fire

Did you ever play here?

Monroe County Sheriff's Office - Florida Keys: Fire burns restaurant, damages marina
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Att'n: travlineasy -- Salty's Bar & Grill in Marathon fire

WOW! Salty's was a neat place. That will be a great loss to the locals and tourist/cruisers alike. I did hear, however, that a huge sum of money was recently invested into restoring Dockside Bar and Grill, which close while I was there last season because of structural problems. I was told the place was pretty much leveled and rebuilt from the pilings up.

Gary
Old 01-18-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

From the article...

Quote:
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission was on hand in the waters offshore of the marina as they kept an eye on boats which had broken free of their moorings. Two boats were destroyed in the fire. A car in the parking lot of the restaurant also burned.
The timing there is not believable. Maybe someone untied the boats and pushed them clear of the fire? Otherwise, maybe it was the same person that set the fire causing other mischief?

Regards,
Brad
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
Old 01-18-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough

Was quite an intense fire with a lot of burning embers falling on the boats at the Marathon Marina all the way across Rt US1. One palm tree at Marathon Marina did start to burn. My wife and I were awakened just after 3AM by a quite large but muted 'whumpf'; went out and immediately saw flames shooting quite high into the air as obviously the whole building was fully involved. Many boats at Marathon Marina blew '5 blasts' to awaken the rest of the sleeping boaters.
Salty's had a huge thatched roof made from palm fronds over it, and although was made 'fire resistant' it obviously wasnt 'fire proof'; the embers from the roof thatch blew downwind for well over 30+ minutes onto the Marathon Marina. It was still smoldering as of tonight at 6PM; but, thats quite normal for up to 48 hours for such a large and intense fire.
Blackened fish anyone?