Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2014

manatee is on a distinguished road
Re: why so long?

Jack,

Try using the front of a bike for an example: handlebars are your 'T' on top of rudderpost, fork & front wheel are your rudder, attach steering cables at handgrips.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
no. it wouldn't. no harder than adding a tiller extension to a shorter tiller. but, if the boat needs a long tiller for leverage, that would end up being a useless modification. you'd always have to have it extended.
Just to clarify my idea: This would be a ridgid extension. It wouldn't have a joint at the end of the tiller like a hiking stick. The extension could be installed for conditions that require more leverage. And removed when not needed.

Old 02-03-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
Jack,

Try using the front of a bike for an example: handlebars are your 'T' on top of rudderpost, fork & front wheel are your rudder, attach steering cables at handgrips.
ja! das stimmt! that's exactly what i am getting at. so, what do you think?

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by captain jack; 02-03-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Just to clarify my idea: This would be a ridgid extension. It wouldn't have a joint at the end of the tiller like a hiking stick. The extension could be installed for conditions that require more leverage. And removed when not needed.

yeah. my sailing dinghy used to sort of be that way. it had a smaller tube inside of a bigger tube, for the tiller. you could move the inside tube in or out, as long as you twisted while pushing or pulling, to get more or less tiller. i don't think the PO intended it that way. i just think they wanted a longer tiller and i 'discovered' you could do that with their solution to get one.

1971 Cal 27

Old 02-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
ja! das stimmt! that's exactly what i am getting at. so, what do you think?
Should work. Some thoughts: How much distance between pillar and rudder? (Worried about a tripping hazard some dark night.) Change drum diameter inside pillar to change "gear ratio" --> how many turns of wheel for full rudder displacement. Turnbuckles to adjust tension? Any real-life examples? Maybe make a model to work out kinks? For my part, I think I would miss the feel of the conversation between water and rudder that the tiller gives.

It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 02-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
Should work. Some thoughts: How much distance between pillar and rudder? (Worried about a tripping hazard some dark night.) Change drum diameter inside pillar to change "gear ratio" --> how many turns of wheel for full rudder displacement. Turnbuckles to adjust tension? Any real-life examples? Maybe make a model to work out kinks? For my part, I think I would miss the feel of the conversation between water and rudder that the tiller gives.
i am still planning on trying a shorter tiller before i go the wheel route but it really would make a lot better space in the cockpit.

not a lot of space between the rudder post and pedestal. i want it as close to the rudder post as functionally possible, since i won't be standing behind it to steer. i would probably have tension adjusters on the ends of the T.

1971 Cal 27

Last edited by captain jack; 02-03-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-03-2014

another method i have been considering would be a chain drive method. no cables.

there would be a sprocket on the rudder post. in the pedistal would be a vertical shaft. at the bottom, a sprocket. at it's top, a bevel gear or mitre gear. the wheel shaft would have a bevel or mitre gear to mesh with the one on the vertical shaft and a chain would link the pedestal sprocket with the rudder post sprocket. you would have to have an adjustable idler sprocket between the rudder post and pedestal to maintain proper tension. you would have to have 2 bearings for each shaft.

the components would need greased from time to time.

in either system, i'd be looking for 1.5 turns lock to lock.

1971 Cal 27

Old 02-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
i am still planning on trying a shorter tiller before i go the wheel route but it really would make a lot better space in the cockpit.

not a lot of space between the rudder post and pedestal. i want it as close to the rudder post as functionally possible, since i won't be standing behind it to steer. i would probably have tension adjusters on the ends of the T.
One good thing about the tiller and a fully-stocked cockpit,- you shouldn't be doing anything hasty. It could even be fun playing musical chairs. When the weather goes dodgy, you'll send the passengers below and have all the room you need.

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 02-03-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

IIRC, you still haven't sailed this boat yet. I'd suggest sailing her first before modifying the tiller length. You need to see how the helm is balanced. You might need the long tiller for leverage.

I know people who get sore shoulders from fighting weather helm with their tiller.

You can't assume that other boats of similar length should have a similar tiller - all boat sail differently. Even sister ships of the same design could sail differently due to different sail age/shape, rudder design and/or custom modifications, mast rake, boat pitch, etc. You need to learn about these things first, and the only way to know for sure is to sail her first.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 02-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
IIRC, you still haven't sailed this boat yet. I'd suggest sailing her first before modifying the tiller length. You need to see how the helm is balanced. You might need the long tiller for leverage.

I know people who get sore shoulders from fighting weather helm with their tiller.

You can't assume that other boats of similar length should have a similar tiller - all boat sail differently. Even sister ships of the same design could sail differently due to different sail age/shape, rudder design and/or custom modifications, mast rake, boat pitch, etc. You need to learn about these things first, and the only way to know for sure is to sail her first.
what i was going to do was to sail the boat and steer with my hand at different points on the tiller. first, decide how short is too short. then, decide how long is comfortable. then, i will make a new tiller based on my findings.

as you say, it's no good just wacking off random lengths, without some idea of what i am doing.

1971 Cal 27