Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: why so long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
The longer tiller gets the helmsman's weight out of the stern more amidships, and provides maximum mechanical advantage. The only downside of a shorter tiller would/could be the effort to control it when the boat loads up the helm. Not sure if the C27 has a properly balanced rudder - if it does then a shorter stick won't be any trouble at all.
you just pointed out all of my concerns. i will have to see if i can find a good pic that would allow me to see just where the pivot point is, on the rudder. it turns easily enough, when not moving but, that proves nothing at all. but leverage is my real concern.

the cockpit is small. so, i am less concerned with my body weight than i am with being able to sit in it, comfortable. you might be able to cram 4 people in it, comfortably, if two weren't worried about sitting on the windward side.

Quote:
Really don't think going to a wheel is the answer here.. the boat's a bit small for that and your limited budget would be far better used for just about anything else. Also, on a boat of that size it puts the weight of the helmsman AND the steering system well aft where it does most harm.
well, that's why a wheel would be something for consideration after a season of sailing. added weight in the stern is always an issue with a wheel. plus, it's worse for single handed sailing.

and, at this point, i don't need to spend any more money or add any more work, to what i already will need to invest.

in addition, i have always sailed with a tiller. i like them. i'm used to them. plus they look all old timey salty.

seriously, though, a wheel would only be the course of last resort. however, having seen a T2 with a wheel, i feel better that, if i do have to go that route, it obviously works for these boats.

depending on the mechanical advantage of the wheel, the helmsman wouldn't have to stand behind it. he ( meaning me ) could sit to the side and in front and steer with one hand. but i do think the tiller would be best.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2014

manatee is on a distinguished road

Have access to trees? Look for an oak, ash, elm or hickory branch with a likely shape & cut it now while the sap is not running, let it be seasoning 'til you're ready to shape & fit it. If nothing else, you could use it for an emergency tiller.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
Have access to trees? Look for an oak, ash, elm or hickory branch with a likely shape & cut it now while the sap is not running, let it be seasoning 'til you're ready to shape & fit it. If nothing else, you could use it for an emergency tiller.
that's a good idea. i could see if i can find one that is already in the general shape i need. perhaps it's a good time to take a hike.

1971 Cal 27

Old 01-18-2014
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road

1) There is a Monty Python skit where there are five guys in a lifeboat

"How long is it?"
"Kind of personal don't you think?"

that is what I though of when I saw the thread title

2) Mentioned already that a long tiller gets you to the center of the boat (closer to the mast)..

I wonder if there isn't a leverage benefit of a longer tiller. Didn't Archimedes say: "Give me a long tiller and a place to sit and I will steer your world"

Edit:Neither here nor there... I wonder why when you do a google image search for boats...some you find mostly sailing pictures and others you find mostly in a boat slip (what I found with your boat).. Not sure what that says about a given boat, but I guess if I was searching a boat I wanted to buy and half the pictures were of capsized boats... I would change my mind
captain jack likes this.

Vector X + Y

Last edited by titustiger27; 01-18-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-18-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

It seems like it shouldn't be much of and engineering problem to make a tiller that has an extension that would make the tiller longer (for a longer lever arm) when needed.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 01-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney777 View Post
Here is pic of Hickory axe handle. 3ft long. One end is flat & fits between tiller to bolt on.
Handle is curved a bit similar to a store bought tiller. Not a joke. Or a wheel can be fit on a shaft coming up from tiller fitting. If you don't like the $10 Hickory I'll send you the $10.
True Temperģ - 36 inch Hickory Single Bit Axe Handle People's lives depend on it not breaking.
that would actually make a nice looking tiller. $10 beats a hundred. it would take some spacers to fit the tiller bracket but that's a solid idea.

i had considered a shaft hooked straight down on the fitting. but it would sit pretty far to stern. of course, the wheel could be mounted on the front of the post, instead of the rear. i'd still have to figure out gears to go from the wheel to the shaft. i am sure that something else, totally unrelated, might have such gears which could be canabilized; perhaps the rear end from some sort of go cart.

1971 Cal 27

Old 01-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post
1) There is a Monty Python skit where there are five guys in a lifeboat

"How long is it?"
"Kind of personal don't you think?"

that is what I though of when I saw the thread title

2) Mentioned already that a long tiller gets you to the center of the boat (closer to the mast)..

I wonder if there isn't a leverage benefit of a longer tiller. Didn't Archimedes say: "Give me a long tiller and a place to sit and I will steer your world"

Edit:Neither here nor there... I wonder why when you do a google image search for boats...some you find mostly sailing pictures and others you find mostly in a boat slip (what I found with your boat).. Not sure what that says about a given boat, but I guess if I was searching a boat I wanted to buy and half the pictures were of capsized boats... I would change my mind
a longer tiller does have a leverage advantage. during archimedes time, when rudders were not balanced as many are now, that was very important. if my rudder is balanced, it wouldn't be that important.

i would hazzard a guess that the reason you mostly see pics of these, older, cal 27s in the slip is that most of those pics come from sales ads. most ads don't contain nice pics of the boats sailing.

1971 Cal 27

Old 01-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
It seems like it shouldn't be much of and engineering problem to make a tiller that has an extension that would make the tiller longer (for a longer lever arm) when needed.
no. it wouldn't. no harder than adding a tiller extension to a shorter tiller. but, if the boat needs a long tiller for leverage, that would end up being a useless modification. you'd always have to have it extended.

1971 Cal 27

Old 01-18-2014
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
snip

i would hazzard a guess that the reason you mostly see pics of these, older, cal 27s in the slip is that most of those pics come from sales ads. most ads don't contain nice pics of the boats sailing.
I think you are right about the ads --- but the wrong ads. Most of the ads you come across in a google search are used boats.

Funny story. The last time I was out in my boat in 2013, I capsized. I had already decided to move up a size (12 ft to 15 ft), but the capsizing removed any doubt.

I had been waiting for a friend to go with me, so I put up the sails and took a couple pictures (the only pictures I took of the boat rigged on the water)... and the camera (with sd card) is on the bottom Lake Colby... so when I listed the boat on Craigslist I only had pictures from my front yard.

Vector X + Y
Old 01-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post
I think you are right about the ads --- but the wrong ads. Most of the ads you come across in a google search are used boats.

Funny story. The last time I was out in my boat in 2013, I capsized. I had already decided to move up a size (12 ft to 15 ft), but the capsizing removed any doubt.

I had been waiting for a friend to go with me, so I put up the sails and took a couple pictures (the only pictures I took of the boat rigged on the water)... and the camera (with sd card) is on the bottom Lake Colby... so when I listed the boat on Craigslist I only had pictures from my front yard.
wow. that's kind of tragic, really.

yeah. i was referring to used boat ads. there aren't a lot of these out there. you tend to see sailing pics of boats that are either unique or belong to a large 'fleet' of boats. for instance, there are tons of pictures of lasers sailing. and you can find pictures of the Bluenose sailing.

1971 Cal 27

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.