Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: why so long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
In "Buehler's Backyard Boatbuilding", George shows how to convert tiller to wheel steering without breaking the bank, and even keeping the tiller. (He also has lots of other DIY stuff you might find interesting/useful. )

Buehler's Backyard Boatbuilding cover

From his website :

Buehler's Backyard Boatbuilding description:

Starting with tools: "... the true craftsman is a rare bird; no more in tune with the Cosmos than you, just more patient..." to instructions for the proper use of alcohol at the launch, this book guides you step by step through the process of building a real sea-going cruising boat. Written from the novel point of view of keeping costs down and having fun, this is, if you'll pardon me, the BEST "how-to" book since "Volkswagen Repair For The Complete Idiot." There's 160 pages of drawings and photos, and even complete plans ranging from a 28' cutter to a 55' displacement power boat.

Print & mail or fax, or e-mail the following info: Please note; These things are NOT refundable without prior agreement!

Name: __________________________________________________ __________________________

Address: __________________________________________________ _________________________

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

"BUEHLER’S BACKYARD BOATBUILDING" $25.95______(FREE with all Building Plans. Add $6.00 Priority US postage, $11.00 Canada Air Priority, $13.00 western Europe air, and $22.00 elsewhere. If "elsewhere" is less than $22 we'll refund the difference. For example, Italy is $11 for Global Priority, but Slovenia next door doesn't accept US Global so postage there is $22)

George Buehler Yacht Design
P.O. Box 966,
Freeland, WA 98249

Telephone & fax (360) 331-5866
email: design@georgebuehler.com

#include ${std-disclaimer}

just started looking through his site. it's a delightful, well written site and he has a really good philosophy about life. well worth checking out.

he has some nice looking designs. i notice that the boats i have seen so far don't have a tiny toe rail, like most modern sailboats. they have low....we'd call them knee rails in the construction business. kind of old timey. i like that and wonder why it's not still done on modern sailboats.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by captain jack; 01-19-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2014

manatee is on a distinguished road

His bulwarks and handrails are functional, not cosmetic like you see on today's boats -- they'll keep you aboard if you get hit by green water while working on the deck. He's in the Pacific Northwest and inspired by his familiarity and respect for the working boats of that region. The way he writes makes me think he'd be a fun guy to share a pitcher with -- there are some good stories in his book, usually with a point to explain why he designs as he does.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-19-2014

Quote:
His bulwarks and handrails are functional, not cosmetic like you see on today's boats -- they'll keep you aboard if you get hit by green water while working on the deck. He's in the Pacific Northwest and inspired by his familiarity and respect for the working boats of that region. The way he writes makes me think he'd be a fun guy to share a pitcher with -- there are some good stories in his book, usually with a point to explain why he designs as he does.
i like that. i don't suppose it would be possible to add bulwarks to a production FG boat.

1971 Cal 27

Old 01-19-2014

delite is on a distinguished road

Tiller handle on our Catalina 27 is about 36-40 inches. I imagine this one is so long because the PO did a lot of singlehanded sailing and wanted the protection of being further forward perhaps behind a dodger.
Old 01-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by delite View Post
Tiller handle on our Catalina 27 is about 36-40 inches. I imagine this one is so long because the PO did a lot of singlehanded sailing and wanted the protection of being further forward perhaps behind a dodger.
pretty sure the tiller is the stock length but, i also imagine that is the reason it was designed with such a long tiller. 36-40" would be much better.

by the way, no dodger possible with the pop top on this cal, i think. at least, i don't see a practical way that would work.

1971 Cal 27

Old 01-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
i like that. i don't suppose it would be possible to add bulwarks to a production FG boat.
You might -- he has at least 3 different ways of making them. You would need clear access to the outboard interior of the hull, to locate mounting points and install healthy backing plates. Much depends upon your hull construction.

It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 01-19-2014

Quote:
You might -- he has at least 3 different ways of making them. You would need clear access to the outboard interior of the hull, to locate mounting points and install healthy backing plates. Much depends upon your hull construction.
cool. i will have to buy his book. sounds like it's well worth the money.

1971 Cal 27

Old 01-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
cool. i will have to buy his book. sounds like it's well worth the money.
You won't regret it. He has a lot of ideas for customizing and personalizing your boat to suit you, and how *you* use the boat.

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 01-19-2014

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

mine,s fifty in
long. i can stand, holding the end up ay the cabin bulkhead or grag only a foot or so and sit astern. onc trim is balanced, on a longish reach or rin, ya hardly hafta touch it to stay on course.

i,m looking into wheel options, too....prolly cable and drum! IF i move it at all

damm'd word fill and micro screen KB!
Old 01-19-2014

he actually gives some free steering suggestions, on his site, that i think are very good and very useful. it's got me thinking. if i end up adding wheel steering, i have an idea how to do it, fairly inexpensively, now, without a lot of additional weight. great link! thanks.

1971 Cal 27

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.