Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: why so long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
mine,s fifty in
long. i can stand, holding the end up ay the cabin bulkhead or grag only a foot or so and sit astern. onc trim is balanced, on a longish reach or rin, ya hardly hafta touch it to stay on course.

i,m looking into wheel options, too....prolly cable and drum! IF i move it at all

damm'd word fill and micro screen KB!
sounds like mine.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2014

sidney777 is on a distinguished road

Her is pic of wheel type I was talking about. Worm Gear steerers http://www.edsonmarine.com/ecatalogs/T1/p/00007.jpg
And

Last edited by sidney777; 01-25-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2014

i have contacted them about their various set ups. with a worm gear or rack and pinion set up, i could fabricate my own housings. i think setting it up so i could steer from the side would help a lot. i have seen some bigger cruises, with wheel steering, set up that way. if i decide to do wheel steering, at some point, that may be the way to go.
sidney777 likes this.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2014

new, rack and pinion set ups, from edson, start around $1500 and worm screw set ups start around $4200. a bit pricey. they recommend i try consignment shops, based on the original cost of my boat. while parts can get pricey, if you get a used one that needs parts, worm screw set ups are bullet proof. i like the sound of that. perhaps as a future thought. of course....i do have extremely good metal fabricaton skills. i wonder how hard it would be to make one from scratch using basic machine shop equipment?

1971 Cal 27

Old 01-28-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Make the tiller the length you like, buy/make an adjustable tiller extension and you can steer from nearly anywhere in the cockpit. This boat is not really one where wheel steering is going to make life any easier, IMO.

http://www.americanriggingsupply.com...Extensions.pdf

Much better things to spend your money and efforts on than wheel steering at this point.
GMFL likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Make the tiller the length you like, buy/make an adjustable tiller extension and you can steer from nearly anywhere in the cockpit. This boat is not really one where wheel steering is going to make life any easier, IMO.

http://www.americanriggingsupply.com...Extensions.pdf

Much better things to spend your money and efforts on than wheel steering at this point.
oh, i quite agree. thinking about wheel steering is only for future possibilities.

i am going to follow the advice of one of the other posters. i will make or buy a new tiller after i have sailed it. during the first few sails i will try steering from different positions, on the tiller, to determine the best length. then, once i decide that, i will make ( or buy ) a new tiller. i do like the ax haft suggestion.

i am not sure i would even like wheel steering. i have always sailed with tillers. but there is no harm pondering the future while i am on the subject of steering. perhaps, sometime, i will get the chance to sail with someone that does have a wheel and get to experience it. then, i would know if i like it or not. i have read all kinds of different opinions of wheel steering, on boats this size. however, i will never know what i think of it til i try it. i would prefer to try it before i invest time and money in it.

even if i never decide to go for a wheel set up, someone else reading this thread in the future might be able to use information posted here.
GMFL likes this.

1971 Cal 27

Old 01-28-2014
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

When I was looking at Islander 36's, I ended up choosing one with a steering pedestal over a tiller. Looking back, I wish I would have considered the tiller steered boat a bit more. Much more room in the cockpit with the tiller, easier to single hand, cleaner lines.

The pedestal has it's benefits as well I guess but on your Cal 27, I would think it would just take up too much space.

Also, as mentioned, $5k could be spent on a whole lot of other upgrades that would be more beneficial, imo.
Old 01-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
When I was looking at Islander 36's, I ended up choosing one with a steering pedestal over a tiller. Looking back, I wish I would have considered the tiller steered boat a bit more. Much more room in the cockpit with the tiller, easier to single hand, cleaner lines.

The pedestal has it's benefits as well I guess but on your Cal 27, I would think it would just take up too much space.

Also, as mentioned, $5k could be spent on a whole lot of other upgrades that would be more beneficial, imo.
well, actually, space is the issue i have with the tiller.

the cockpit on this cal is pretty tight. if you really crammed people in, you might get 3 to a side. but it would not be comfortable and you wouldn't be able to use crew/passenger weight to an advantage.

i think the long tiller, unmodified, is going to be a PIA with just me and one crew. i have friends and family that might want to go for a sail, too. i think 4, including me, is a reasonable number to aspire for. but the tiller spanning the entire narrow cockpit would make that rather an issue. i would think a wheel, mounted aft, would open up a lot of space rather than taking it up.

i would think a wheel won't take up the entire cockpit. the tiller, at present, does. i am curious; how does the wheel take up more space? i have heard people say that and, i must admit, i don't understand it.

by the way, i'm not asking because i intend to go out and buy one of their systems, right now. i am asking for future reference. of course, if i found a cheap used system.....

1971 Cal 27

Last edited by captain jack; 01-28-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-28-2014
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
well, actually, space is the issue i have with the tiller. a wheel won't take up the entire cockpit. the tiller, at present, does. i am curious; how does the wheel take up more space?
The wheel is fixed, can't be folded up when done sailing. The wheel separates the cockpit into 1/3 - 2/3 sections.

Certainly while sailing the tiller requires one to move around the cockpit but, unless you're constantly tacking, it should be ok right? Surely shortening your tiller will help here.
Old 01-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
The wheel is fixed, can't be folded up when done sailing. The wheel separates the cockpit into 1/3 - 2/3 sections.

Certainly while sailing the tiller requires one to move around the cockpit but, unless you're constantly tacking, it should be ok right? Surely shortening your tiller will help here.
ok. that exlains that.

yes, i am hoping that shortening it does solve the problem. thanks for explaining that for me. i have scratched my head about that, every time i read that in a post, somewhere.

if i were to, someday, go to a wheel, it will be pretty far aft, almost on top of the stern post, and i will set it up to steer while sitting to the side. i have seen that done before. that should alleviate some of that cockpit division problem.

this cockpit is pretty tight and narrow. even if there was no tiller or wheel at all you aren't going to be throwing any big parties in it.

i was more concerned with comfort while sailing than space when not sailing.

funny thing is, the present tiller pivots up but it won't stay up on it's own. the balance is wrong. but i would think a shorter tiller with an extension would not have that problem.

1971 Cal 27