Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2014
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road
Re: why so long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
kind of does, doesn't it?

interesting principle. never heard of it but i suspect it's true in most businesses. is that 'peter' as in 'peters out'?

I think that is the implied sense... but I am not sure if that is how it started

Vector X + Y
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post
I think that is the implied sense... but I am not sure if that is how it started
and, here, i was just kidding

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-29-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Another example of 'use it or lose it. ' If too short becomes the norm,consider a steering box from small auto (I've done several larger vessels with larger truck steering box) Can go to long shaft and wheel or sprocket and chain/cable to wheel. Emergency tiller is a problem. I can't figure why you would need to change to wheel on anything less than 30ish feet
Old 01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Another example of 'use it or lose it. ' If too short becomes the norm,consider a steering box from small auto (I've done several larger vessels with larger truck steering box) Can go to long shaft and wheel or sprocket and chain/cable to wheel.
yeah. i had considered that. it would add weight, though. hopefully shortening the tiller will do the trick.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
I can't figure why you would need to change to wheel on anything less than 30ish feet
a number of people in many different posts in different threads on different sites have said that. i am not sure how 30 feet is a serious cut off point. so, if you had a 29' boat, it would be too small for a wheel? what about 29.5'?

seriously, though, i have heard that a lot. and, i won't go to wheel if shortening the tiller works. but everyone likes a different thing. i have seen ( and saved a pic of ) a cal 27 T2 with a wheel. same basic hull as mine. obviously someone thought it an improvement.

1971 Cal 27

Last edited by captain jack; 01-29-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-29-2014
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
and, here, i was just kidding
The first time I heard of it.. I heard it described it as

"Man's ability to rise to his own incompetence"

I learned this during the sexist 70's

Vector X + Y
Old 01-29-2014

manatee is on a distinguished road

As long as you don't do anything you can't undo, you should be OK.

''The Peter Principle is a management theory which suggests that organizations risk filling management roles with people who are incompetent if they promote those who are performing well at their current role, rather than those who have proven abilities at the intended role. It is named after Laurence J. Peter who co-authored the 1969 humorous book 'The Peter Principle: Why Things Always Go Wrong' with Raymond Hull. They suggest that people will tend to be promoted until they reach their 'position of incompetence'."

Could you use a tiller mounting bolt that allows you to adjust the friction/pressure between rudderhead & tiller so that the tiller stays up where you put it?

Re: wheel steering --- I know, in the future, if, maybe --- this is just brainstorming -- instead of at the rear of the cockpit, blocking the rudderhead, and making emergency-tiller installation difficult or impossible, would it be better for the boat if the wheel were mounted at the forward end of the cockpit? With small wheels mounted either side of the companionway & properly geared/pulleyed, your weight would have less negative effect on the boat, you maximize cockpit space, and keep transom, lazarette & rudderhead accessible.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
The Following User Says Thank You to manatee For This Useful Post:
titustiger27 (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post
The first time I heard of it.. I heard it described it as

"Man's ability to rise to his own incompetence"

I learned this during the sexist 70's

hmmmmmmmmmmm now i believe i have heard that before

1971 Cal 27

Old 01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
As long as you don't do anything you can't undo, you should be OK.

''The Peter Principle is a management theory which suggests that organizations risk filling management roles with people who are incompetent if they promote those who are performing well at their current role, rather than those who have proven abilities at the intended role. It is named after Laurence J. Peter who co-authored the 1969 humorous book 'The Peter Principle: Why Things Always Go Wrong' with Raymond Hull. They suggest that people will tend to be promoted until they reach their 'position of incompetence'."

Could you use a tiller mounting bolt that allows you to adjust the friction/pressure between rudderhead & tiller so that the tiller stays up where you put it?
there are plenty of ways to achieve that end result. i do intend to do something like that, too. it's good to be able to leave the helm, for a few minutes, if you have to.

Quote:

Re: wheel steering --- I know, in the future, if, maybe --- this is just brainstorming -- instead of at the rear of the cockpit, blocking the rudderhead, and making emergency-tiller installation difficult or impossible, would it be better for the boat if the wheel were mounted at the forward end of the cockpit? With small wheels mounted either side of the companionway & properly geared/pulleyed, your weight would have less negative effect on the boat, you maximize cockpit space, and keep transom, lazarette & rudderhead accessible.
that's an interesting idea but it does have a few drawbacks. it would add a good bit of complexity. simplicity is always best. but it would also put the wheels in the way every time someone had to go forward. but it's an interesting idea.

1971 Cal 27

Old 01-29-2014

in the possible futue, i would use a chain cable system. that's the easiest to fabricate. there are a lot of different sprockets and chain sizes available for motorcycle style chain, as it is used in many industrial applications. i could fabricate the entire system. you can always find a fairly priced used wheel on ebay. i'd mount the wheel to stern, probably with the whell on the forward side of the pedestal. then i could sit to the side and steer, not much differently then if i had a tiller. it would be simple and i could do the whole thnig above the cockpit sole; making a housing to cover the workings of it. i could even weld a fitting for an emergency push/pull tiller to the top of the quadrant.

edson says that, with proper mainenance, the cable and chain type of steering is reliable. of course, i could always design and fabricate a worm screw type or use light auto steering parts to do rack and pinion.

but, in the end, i might never go the wheel route. although, i will admit, the added room is tempting.

1971 Cal 27

Last edited by captain jack; 01-29-2014 at 10:08 PM.