Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road
As long as its fun

As a professional writer I read a lot and am more often than not let down. I just got my hands on As long as its fun by Herb McCormick and have to say it just may be the best written book of the decade. Its a biography on the extraordinary life of Lin and Larry Pardey. If you are planning a cruise or just dreaming about it you owe it to yourself to read this book.
http://logofthe.files.wordpress.com/...1/ser-0891.jpg
titustiger27 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by barefootnavigator; 01-19-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to barefootnavigator For This Useful Post:
titustiger27 (01-19-2014)
Old 01-19-2014
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road
Re: As long as its fun

Speaking of writing.. have you ever read John Gierach? he writes about fly fishing.

I think he writes the most interesting essays... and I wonder why no one else writes like that about... say Mountain Biking or Sailing --- two topics I read lot.

His style is so warm and smooth and just flows like the rivers he drops flies into....

I am at a loss that writers can take their favorite topic and not make it so wonderful that even people who don't do the topic love it.....

Does this make sense to you?
barefootnavigator likes this.

Vector X + Y
Old 01-19-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

It does and I will have to look him up, maybe I can learn something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-19-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

thanks for this one - just ordered the book.

Gary the old, retired writer.
Old 01-19-2014
arrgh!

I buy most of my books through Half.com when they are 75˘ well the books that interest me personally.

I buy new books for the library I work in, not much interest in sailing there.

I just read a YA book: "Wonder," by R. J. Palacio. It is such a wonderful book... the kind that makes you wonder why all books aren't like it.... Or why there isn't good books like that in other areas--- like memoir/travel essays.

It's the great books that has me reading so many okay books.....

Vector X + Y
Old 01-19-2014

John Gierach has been around fly fishing longer than many folks on this forum have been alive. I met him many years ago at one of the nation's largest fishing shows, super nice guy, and great fly tier and caster. One of his best friends, Lefty Kreh, also one of the dean's of fly fishing, is a good friend of mine and we have fished together for more than 40 years. Lefty has authored more than 50 books on fly fishing and outdoor photography.

I was an outdoor writer for more than 35 years, but as the print media began to dry up, I went back to playing music, which is the best job I ever had. When I was a writer, I wrote primarily about fishing, boating, hunting and conservation for more than two dozen publications. Sadly, most of those publications no longer exist. Even the largest of them all, The Washington Post, no longer has an outdoor column in the Weekend Section, which is where my column was published for 16 years.

Gary
bljones likes this.
Old 01-19-2014
arrgh!

Gary,

I wonder about that --- print media drying up --- for guys like John Gierach.. I guess you could call him a Writer's Writer.

And for you as well. A lot of essays become part of collections... or are collected into books, but if there is no newspaper/magazines to print them first.... where does joke find a place to find home?

Vector X + Y
Old 01-19-2014

svShearwater is on a distinguished road

I just finished "As Long as it is Fun". I was really interested to find out the "rest of the story". What happened after Bull Canyon? Their travels with Talesein didn't disappoint.

Great read!

Old 01-19-2014

I know a few writers that made compilations of their short magazine and newspaper columns into books, then self published them. Most didn't break even on the venture, but they have a lot of momentos.

In my case, when I exited the field of outdoor writing a few years ago, I had already transitioned into another fulltime career of musician/singer/entertainer performing mainly at senior events. Initially, I was hoping to do just a couple performances a week, but the entertainment business exploded and I perform 5 to 7 days a week, sometimes twice a day. Unfortunately, that left far less time for sailing. So, like many of the older writers, I'm still working, and in my case, a heavier schedule than most - we're just not writing. Lefty Kreh, who is now 87 years old, still lives out of a suitcase, flying all over the world providing fly casting demonstrations and teaching people how to fly fish. A few weeks ago he told me he has to slow down, might only work 3 to 4 days a week.

I hope to make a repeat trip down the ICW in 2015, and like the last time, I'll be hauling my music gear with me and playing the tiki bars and marinas. My wife says I can retire, but in order to do so she said I have to be dead at least three days first.

Cheers,

Gary
Lou452 likes this.
Old 01-19-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Travel- I'm a die hard salt and fresh water fly fisherman. Went out last week. Local kettle pond is still active. The waders kept us warm but with it so cold here could only tolerate a few hours before our hands stopped working . hate winter. With my home port in r.i. Lefty is a hero. My favorite rod is a Spey which is a bitch to keep on a sailboat but a joy to use off the sugar scoop. ? How did you meet Lefty? Do you think a general fishing thread would have legs?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.