Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2005

Vastbinder is on a distinguished road
Marine Grade Plywood?

Has sailing tech changed so much in the last 60 years or were these just crappy boats to begin with?

Personally, I always thought the Gypsy design was kinda cute if slow... but I''ve been extensively lectured on the evils of full-keel boats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2005

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Marine Grade Plywood?

"Has sailing tech changed so much in the last 60 years or were these just crappy boats to begin with?"

At some level the answer is ''yes'' to both of these. Hull forms and rigs and evolved dramatically in ways that improve seaworthiness, ease of handling, motion comfort, and performance. BUT beyond that, these were really poor designs for their day.

The better D.I.Y. designs of that era came from magazines like ''Rudder'' and ''Field and Stream''. These magazines published designs ranging in quality from amazingly good to pretty bizarre. Many of the designs in these magazines came from the boards of designers of the caliber of Atkins, Crocker, John Hanna, Winslow Warner, Fredrick Geiger, Clinton Crane, Starling Burgess, and L.F.Herreshoff.

But most of the designs on the Svensen site are ''public domain'' designs that were prepared by unknown designers. The price of drawings are cheap compared to the hard costs of building a boat. It really makes sense to pick a good design even if you have to pay for it.

That said there are a bunch of good designs out there for free or nearly free it is just a matter of sorting them out.

Jeff
Old 07-13-2005

Vastbinder is on a distinguished road
Marine Grade Plywood?

Well, for whatever it''s worth, I think I have selected a first design. The one I intend to build this summer is the "Breeze Baby" from the svenson''s site.

It''s likely a crappy little boat... in fact, it''s little more than a rowboat with a sail. However, it appears to be very simple, has more seating and offers a dryer ride than my sailfish and even if it doesn''t last 10 years, it might be a good way to "get my feet wet" so to speak... without it being a large project.

I figure that if I start out with a small, simple project like this one, then over the winter and next spring, perhaps I''ll have a better notion of what I''m looking at with a bigger project.