SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Teak deck caulk (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/118321-teak-deck-caulk.html)

Minnewaska 01-20-2014 08:55 PM

Teak deck caulk

I've always liked Teak Deck Systems caulk for deck caulk repairs. However, I rarely use an entire caulk gun sized tube and have not been able to seal it well for later use. I have used Life Caulk for very small repairs, but don't like it.

Any other suggestions that might come in small quantities?

christian.hess 01-21-2014 12:33 AM

Re: Teak deck caulk

I used black sikaflex and black boat life on my old wooden h28 with teack decks...

sikaflex worked better

before selling my boat I did a complete recaulk of the decks and belt sanded them too to get fresh meat and correct seal....the trick is to bevel sightly the edges and run your wet finger on the caulk after each run...

at least thats what some old woodies taught me in stockton, ca...

RichH 01-21-2014 12:49 AM

To extend the life of an open tube of TDS, I seal the cut open tube with several layers of VINYL tape, cover with plastic wrap and put the tube into a large plastic zip lock bag and suck all the air out of the bag, and then put the whole shebang into the refrigerator. I can get a month or two, sometimes more of storage life in this manner ... right next to my uncleaned and bagged varnish/badger brushes, etc.
For longer term storage I put it in the freezer.

Minnewaska 01-21-2014 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christian.hess (Post 1328481)
I used black sikaflex.......

Thanks,

Sika makes several varieties of Sikaflex. Would you have used the 295-UV? All I can find it in is the same 10.3 oz caulk gun tubes. Have you seen it in smaller tubes?

Minnewaska 01-21-2014 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichH (Post 1328529)
To extend the life of an open tube of TDS, I seal the cut open tube with several layers of VINYL tape, cover with plastic wrap and put the tube into a large plastic zip lock bag and suck all the air out of the bag, and then put the whole shebang into the refrigerator. I can get a month or two, sometimes more of storage life in this manner ... right next to my uncleaned and bagged varnish/badger brushes, etc.
For longer term storage I put it in the freezer.

Short of the refrigerator/freezer, I've done exactly the same thing. Trouble is, I will touch up a few feet of caulking, here and there, at the beginning of the season and then not need it again for months. Sometimes not until the next season. It's such a waste to squeeze out an inch or two of the tube, just to toss the rest.

I wonder if a vacuum sealer would do the trick? I somehow doubt it.

Delta-T 01-21-2014 09:15 AM

Maybe fill bag with nitrogen then vacuum seal and put in ref. I use a long deck screw to cork screw out a dried tip.

christian.hess 01-21-2014 09:16 AM

no i used the cheaper stuff back then....one part

tjbain 01-25-2014 01:11 PM

What about liquid electrical tape to seal the end of a tube

- tjb

RichH 01-25-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 1328753)
Short of the refrigerator/freezer, I've done exactly the same thing. Trouble is, I will touch up a few feet of caulking, here and there, at the beginning of the season and then not need it again for months. Sometimes not until the next season. It's such a waste to squeeze out an inch or two of the tube, just to toss the rest.

I wonder if a vacuum sealer would do the trick? I somehow doubt it.

Nothing lasts forever. Even an 'unopened' tube of TDS only has a shelf life of ONE YEAR.

Minnewaska 01-25-2014 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichH (Post 1343265)
Nothing lasts forever. Even an 'unopened' tube of TDS only has a shelf life of ONE YEAR.

Didn't actually know that, although, never had one lying around that long. I guess that settles it. I will just by the 10 oz tube of TDS and try to get all the repairs done at once and just suck it up, when I may need another mid-season. Just wish them made a smaller, touch up tube.