Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Re: Dinghy question

I have a small Achilles (LS-2) inflatable with a 2HP Yamaha 2-stroke. Tows well and the engine is only 22 lbs so easy to move back and forth. Actually rows OK. If necessary, I can put the inflated dinghy on the foredeck. Works for me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
It depends! Ha!

We have both a Dyer and Avons. I row both. I enjoy the time it takes me to get to out to the mooring. It isn't a lot of work to row a dinghy. Sometimes it is rough and I have to tack into the wind or plan my crab angle to make it. There are times when I enjoy drifting with the wind if it is working for me.

Your question is which one? The Avon! Hands down! The convenience of having a rubber dink wins! The added difficulty of rowing a soft dinghy doesn't amount to that much. It is valuable upper body exercise. The Avon is more stable. It can be dragged up on shore with ease. It comes aboard easily. It can be deflated and stowed. It doesn't "bang" into the boat. It will handle a 2hp obm easily if rowing is a problem.

Get both!

Down
Yup, pretty much my thoughts, too... But if he's just gonna be cruising coastally around Maine, towing a small rigid dink will work, as well...

To the OP, whatever you do, please don't even THINK about putting davits on such a sweet boat... :-)

Faster likes this.
Old 01-21-2014

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road

Bill,

Congratulations on your P-35, I've had one since 2001 (1980 hull #481). While I don't cruise with a dog I have friends who do, and I can tell you when you have dog duty you do not want to be rowing twice a day. If you decide to row then as other posters have noted a hard dinghy is the way to go because inflatables do not row very well.

Since I imagine you'll have a stern swim ladder an inflatable will allow you to step on the tubes and get into your boat without having to deploy the swim ladder every time you go aboard. I typically use the ladder only when guests are coming aboard or if we are going to be going up and down it a lot (and of course for swimming.) Last year I replaced my old inflatable with a new PVC inflatable from Coastal Inflatables in NH. I went with the aluminum deck and so far so good.

Our sailing is limited to coastal cruising, and we tow our inflatable when we bring it with us. We have a motor caddy that allows us to pull the outboard off the dinghy and store it on a wood block on the stern rail. Taking the motor off is kind of a pain, but a lot less work than bringing the entire dinghy on deck. We recently went from a 6 hp to a 9.9 hp. The 6 was a lot easier to handle and our wood block is too small for the 9.9 so now we put the 9.9 in a cockpit locker.

If you get a proper bridal to tow the dinghy you should never have issues about getting the painter caught in the prop. (Especially with where the prop is on P35).

Our boat is kept on a mooring and for me the most important thing is how quickly I can get out to the boat. I'm on the boat multiple times a week, so if I can save 5, 10 or 15 minutes every time I make a trip, it makes a big difference for me.

Good luck with new boat!
Pearson P-35 #481
Old 01-21-2014

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Bill, if you decide to go the route of hard dinghy I have a nice Cape Dory 10 for sale that would go perfect with that classic Pearson. Rows and sails like a dream. It comes with oars and a sailing rig. it also has a motor mount on the transom for a small OB. Presently located in Belgrade but I can get it to Portland if you are interested.

Group9 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 01-21-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Chesapeake light craft sells the kit to built a nesting pram. As my boat is only 23 feet long, the idea of getting an 8 foot pram that unbolts into a 4x4 box in a few minutes is very very tempting

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 01-21-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

You can probably find a nice used dinghy on Craigslist for less than a CLC kit will cost you new. It is hard to find nesting dinghies used, but rigid dinghies (like my Dyer Dhow and a friend's Ranger Minto) are quite common.

I really like my Dyer Dhow Midget. It is stable and rows very well with 1 or 2 people. It sails pretty well and motors well with a 2hp motor. It fits on the foredeck of my Pearson 28-2 without blocking the anchor locker and while providing decent access to the foredeck. It tows nicely too. I am happy towing much of the time, but consider on-boat storage a requirement in case the weather turns nasty. We use the spinnaker halyard and a 4:1 tackle to make lifting it onto the foredeck pretty easy.
Old 01-21-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
Chesapeake light craft sells the kit to built a nesting pram. As my boat is only 23 feet long, the idea of getting an 8 foot pram that unbolts into a 4x4 box in a few minutes is very very tempting
I'd strongly suggest mocking that nester in cardboard first, and seeing whether you really want to live with it... That is still gonna be a HUGE box on the deck of a 23-footer...

I went south one winter with a nesting Spindrift on my 30-footer... I quickly realized it was not a good solution for me.
Old 01-21-2014

caberg is on a distinguished road

We really like our Watertender 9.4. We've had 4 good-sized adults in it, but usually it is just wife, son, me and supplies. Very stable, rows well, tows well, and is relatively cheap. We bought ours on CL for $300 with oars. WEST MARINE WaterTender 9.4 Rowing Dinghy at West Marine

If you do plan to row, get a nice set of oars. CAVINESS Aluminum Oar at West Marine
Old 01-21-2014

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

I have a mercury air floor inflatable and love it ; Rows well, motors well, tows well, stores well,and can ride on deck. fast set up, comes compleat. very stable....Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 01-21-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Been down all these roads...

For general use and 'quiet', an inflatable wins, esp if you've a small outboard. Hopefully there's no need for a large engine so that you can plane (makes it a heavier job to deal with the engine)

Hard dinghies for rowing and the option of a sailing kit.

Our primary tenders when we don't have guests have been couple of 9 foot plastic kayaks. Good for shore ties, exercise, exploration, we kept a roll-up Zodiac below until we had visitors. We upgraded to a small 7.5 foot aluminum RIB this fall, so we'll be towing and stowing on deck again as appropriate, but will continue to carry the kayaks.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)