Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Dinghy question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I'd strongly suggest mocking that nester in cardboard first, and seeing whether you really want to live with it... That is still gonna be a HUGE box on the deck of a 23-footer...

I went south one winter with a nesting Spindrift on my 30-footer... I quickly realized it was not a good solution for me.
still better than a 8x4 box on deck.. and I -hate- inflatables. I like rowing, I am currently building a Wherry from CLC, so I do not want to get stuck with an ugly inflatable powered by an outboard

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
still better than a 8x4 box on deck.. and I -hate- inflatables. I like rowing, I am currently building a Wherry from CLC, so I do not want to get stuck with an ugly inflatable powered by an outboard
A rigid dinghy is rarely a box (though some prams approach one), the bow tapers. A take-apart hard dinghy is closer to a box because the stern half is fairly box shaped. My Dyer Dhow Midget comes to a point and the curve matches the bow curve of my Pearson 28-2 pretty well. I get about 18" wide side decks along either side of the dinghy.

In looking more closely at it I don't think that the nesting dinghy would fit that much better on my boat than the full one. The lighter pieces would make it easier to lower into the water solo. I'm not sure how annoying it would be to manage the two halves in the water and assemble them in the water though. Overall the tradeoff doesn't seem worth it.

I love kayaking and would love to carry a good kayak on my boat, but that is a tough job on a 25' LWL/28.5' LOD boat, especially when I already have a 7'10" dinghy up front.

I haven't used a RIB, but I have owned a number of inflatables. I don't like them as much, but keep one around for trips with more passengers. The Dyer Dhow Midget will fit 3, but works poorly with more than 2. It flies along with 1 person.
Old 01-21-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

All the negative comments about inflatables I have rowed mine in 20+ KT winds and didn't really have any more issues that the guy anchored by me with his hard dink for a small sailboat it made more sense than a hard dink for deck storage also towing cost me a half knot speed hard or inflatable and looking around the marina 90% of the tenders I see are inflatables. As far as getting onboard haven't had any issues deflate and roll as I bring onboard or use the spinnaker topping lift and spin pole as a hoist seems to work great for me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-21-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
All the negative comments about inflatables I have rowed mine in 20+ KT winds and didn't really have any more issues that the guy anchored by me with his hard dink for a small sailboat it made more sense than a hard dink for deck storage also towing cost me a half knot speed hard or inflatable and looking around the marina 90% of the tenders I see are inflatables. As far as getting onboard haven't had any issues deflate and roll as I bring onboard or use the spinnaker topping lift and spin pole as a hoist seems to work great for me
There is no doubt inflatables are more popular. I started out with one myself, and used it until I started on my long cruise, and started anchoring out a lot. Two months later, I dumped it for my Whaler and never looked back.

They both have good points and bad, but you couldn't give me an inflatable at this point in my boating career. It just doesn't fit with what I do, and how I use one. Maybe when I am older and need something that is lighter, I might go back.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 01-21-2014

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Try rowing an inflatable with another person, a dog and gear aboard. You will not move very well in a 20kt wind unless going downwind.

That being said, I have a RIB and am going to an inflatable floor/keel Avon. The RIB is getting old and the full inflatable can be stowed much easier than a RIB. A big advantage of an inflatable(RIB or full) is the increased stability and ease of boarding for our dog. I would love to keep a hard sailing dinghy but for long term cruising it just is not practical for us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 01-21-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
I still think with a boat the size of yours, just focus on something that tows well, instead of trying to bring it back aboard... I know others might disagree, and although I like the IDEA of a nester, in reality it turned out to be a real PITA, at least for me...

You're gonna love CLC's Annapolis Wherry, definitely my second favorite of the boats that litter my yard... mine got banged up a bit after going walkabout in Sandy, but I eventually found it and brought her back home...

What a sweet rowing machine... Only reason for ever owning something like a 78' Deerfoot, would be so I could bring one of these along :-)

Old 01-21-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I used to have an Alden Ocean Shell when I was younger. Talk about a rowing machine.

I loved that boat, but I think I capsized it the first few times I was on it.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 01-21-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Our primary tenders when we don't have guests have been couple of 9 foot plastic kayaks
Since you say "a couple" I'm assuming you keep these on deck and don't tow them?

I've heard kayaks don't tow well, but I'd kind of like to try.
Old 01-21-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Since you say "a couple" I'm assuming you keep these on deck and don't tow them?

I've heard kayaks don't tow well, but I'd kind of like to try.
Yes, we carry them on deck. While we have towed them, they do seem to randomly flip over now and then (and THAT'S slow!!!)

Gerhauer makes some inexpensive racks that mount to the lower stanchion to store a kayak outside the lifelines.. works well on some boats and keeps the decks clear.

Since we have added a furler and make fewer trips forward we keep ours amidships, between our inboard shrouds and the lifelines. (a red one is visible in our avatar)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I used to have an Alden Ocean Shell when I was younger. Talk about a rowing machine.

I loved that boat, but I think I capsized it the first few times I was on it.
Yup, first time I ever rowed from a sliding seat, was in an Alden...

I will always be proud to have been one of Arthur Martin's earliest customers, and always looked forward to running into him at the boat shows, what a wonderful gentleman he was... I once visited them at their home in Kittery, shortly after they had moved there. They had the first indoor single lane swimming lap pool I had ever seen, he was a man always ahead of his time :-)