Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2005

jreddington is on a distinguished road
Any one else nervous

I''m trying to contact them regarding wrong item shipped. Voice mail boxes full with sales saying "please don''t leave any more messages". No response to e-mail.

Also just noticed today that the listing has dissapeared for their 800 number from the address at the bottom of their web site. Although I see the number is also on the top right in front of the red boat.

Not a good sign.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2005
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Any one else nervous

Among the other changes at Sailnet, their email service is kaput -- very quietly I might add. Not that the loss is that big of a deal, but it was convenient to use that email account for correspondence from this board. I did inquire not that long ago because the button for accessing email accounts suddenly disappeared, althogh you could still get there through the "My Account" page. Not any more. That page no longer has an icon for email period.

I used to do a lot of business with Sailnet but haven''t in the last year or so. Everything was put on back order even if the website said they had it in stock. The lousy service has made me go elsewhere, Defender primarily.
Old 07-18-2005

RAFoster is on a distinguished road
Any one else nervous

I have been attmpting to raise Sailnet customer service or sales for two weeks. I have had similar results as some of the other folks who have posted. I even tried to contact folks in Charleston to find out if they heard about whether Sailnet''s ship is sinking. Nothing yet. Like everyone else, phones are not answered, voice mail is full, emails are ignored. I have orders that have not arrived, prior to which incorrect orders were sent. I will not retutrn these until I hear from Sailnet in fear that I will loose more money. I suggest everyone stop ordering from Sailnet until they resurface AND appologize for this unconscionable act. I guess there is always West Marine or Defender.

Good luck all...
Old 07-18-2005

mkm5515 is on a distinguished road
Any one else nervous

I have been a Sailnet Member for several years now.
Having received an EMail about the clearance sale, I placed a $300 order a week ago.
My CC has been partially charged (including the full $35 shipping amount), but several items are missing from the order status page and no tracking # has been provided.
As with the other comments in this thread I have called and EMailed several times to no avail.
Sad to see what was once a fine organization come unglued like this.

Also nervous...

Mark Mulrooney
Houston, TX
HC38T ''Arcadia''
Old 07-19-2005

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Any one else nervous

I´d like to make a suggestion to both those of you with pending orders who are getting poor Sailnet customer service (or none at all...) and/or those who wonder what´s going on and would like a better sense for whether or not to place future orders.

There are several Chambers of Commerce and a SC state consumer protection agency that could be contacted, any one of which would accept a query or a query and follow-up with Sailnet. The local Business Chamber in their area (I´m without much connnectivity right now while in a small Spanish cyberhut, so you´ll have to dig it up yourselves) has an active website and would be an especially suitable place to inquire. If only a few of you replying in this thread were to contact them, via email or better yet phone, I´m guessing you could either coach a Sailnet owner to respond to one of these threads OR you could pass along the email reply you receive.

Good luck to those of you left hanging. FWIW I experienced some of these same problems years ago and so they may not alone suggest that Sailnet is going under...but it surely does sound shaky at the moment and not the place to put orders.

Jack
WHOOSH, lying Ria de Arousa, Galacia, Spain
Old 07-19-2005

jreddington is on a distinguished road
Any one else nervous

I have already put in a dispute with my credit card company for items sent to me in error. Note that this procedure requires you to first attempt to correct the problem with the vendor so in any letter or document for your dispute clearly state that you have attempted to contact the vendor by e-mail or message attempts at their phone number and that you have received no response.

I would recommend that anyone who hasn''t received items or have been having problems with an order for more than a week or two to get this procedure rolling immediately.
Old 07-19-2005

Vastbinder is on a distinguished road
Any one else nervous

Sad to say, I''ve seen this pattern played out many times before in the armouring community. The behavior described is "to the letter" what happens to many an armourer''s internet business right before they disappear for good... usually leaving many upset customers in their wake.

They usually never show up again.

I wouldn''t order a single thing off SailNet until they shape up and resume communication... and even then I''d wait awhile. This smells alot like a vanishing act.
Old 07-20-2005

mje5p is on a distinguished road
Any one else nervous

Had a problem with sailnet a few months ago... Billed twice, after cancelling one order. Got almost no response until one day someone on the phone eluded to the fact that the business had changed hands and the problem was almost immediately taken care of. I haven''t heard of anything new happening, it would be ashame b/c it looks like it started to turn around.
Old 07-20-2005

paulmcquillan is on a distinguished road
Any one else nervous

All of us should email the editor at SA...

This came up in one of the other forums about the long term viability of the Sailjazz model vs. having Sailing Anarchy host these forums and owners lists.
-----
Yes, actually I do. Sailjazz has no visible business model for long term funding, while the SA crowd is bouncing between 80,000 and 100,000 DAILY visitors. Their advertisers are already paying $$ for that reach, so adding this traffic is easy. I KNOW how much it costs for big-time bandwidth, and good intentions will not keep this running.
Paul

On Jul 20, 2005, at 9:27 AM, Walt Leutwyler wrote:

Paul,
The good folks at SailJazz, Sam Boyle and Cheryl Boyle, have a Newport list already in place no need to create something new. Do you have some concerns about SailJazz? In an e-mail to me yesterday Cheryl wrote "I understand folks are concerned if SAILjazz is here for the duration and I am saying yes!"

Walt_/)
On Jul 20, 2005, at 10:36 AM, Howard wrote:

fyi: Sailnet is about to sink into history...so most of the Beneteau list
subscribers are switching over to sailjazz because the founders ran Sailnet until they were taken over by their investors.
Hopefully Sailjazz will do better than Sailnet... Sam & Cheryl Boyle have
probably learned their "dot com" lessons....
The Sailjazz email forums are identical to Sailnet...really no surprise to
anyone.

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:00:31 -0700:

Subject: World''s largest sailing website WANTS to host our email lists

These guys show up as THE sailing website with the largest volume of traffic. They heard about the good owners lists and message boardshere, and Sailing Anarchy is thinking about offering to host all these lists & message boards (in SEPARATE forums from the wild and wooly racing boards).

I''ve been very impressed over the years with their access at the very top of the sport.... where else do you find Robert Perry talking about his design work and while playing guitar that night at in a bar in China. Many, many posts from the TP52''s, Pyewacket, Sidney-Hobart crews and lots of others.
Paul

From the SA front page
-----
We have heard from a number of sources that SailNet is or is about to close their doors. We tried to get in touch with them, but got nothing but voice mail hell - in fact the sales voicemail said don''t leave a message - not exactly a ringing endorsement for business. Here is what was sent to us today:

Someone who lives close to Sailnet has posted a series of pictures showing that the Sailnet sign has been taken down, the parking lot is empty, and the building is locked up, with a closed sign in the door. He went once at 9 am, and then when he returned a little later, there was a Mercedes parked near the door, but despite pounding on the door, there was no response. He asked around at a few other buildings nearby, and was told it''s been mostly deserted there.

Ouch. Things don''t sound any better over at their forum (which we have never visited but hear is pretty good). If anybody can verify, please do. Btw, we''d be happy to take over the message boards as a distinct entity here at SA. If anybody knows about them, get in touch with The Ed
7/20/05

------
SA Kicks...
From an advertiser: Over 30% of my traffic comes from your site, while your least favorite competitor delivers under 2%. I''ll be back.

No surprise to us - the SA community is an active one that spends money and isn''t afraid to do so with advertisers who support this site. We have become the #1 most visited sailing site because of you eaders who are down with the SA scene. Thanks y''all.
7/7/05
Old 07-21-2005

drynoc is on a distinguished road
Any one else nervous

For those interested in another informative, polite board, try sailboatowners.com. They have a lot of forums there and seem to be pretty busy.