SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Any one else nervous (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/11838-any-one-else-nervous.html)

waltward 07-06-2005 07:58 PM

Any one else nervous

I have to say, I am a bit nervous when I see the mid-season "Clearance Sale" here on Sailnet. I would guess everyone else here got the e-mail promotion for the clearance, that I just received. It makes me wonder just how far they want to sell down. The instructions in the e-mail for sure do not talk about the possibility of having to wait for restocking, for an item to be shipped. When it is gone it is gone.

Am I unduly concerned? Any thoughts?

Walt Ward

DavidMaples 07-08-2005 10:49 AM

Any one else nervous

I am quite nervous!
I just ordered a bunch of parts June 30th to be brought down with visitors to my Yacht in the Netherland Antilles and they have shipped the butt connectors but nothing else. My guests are leaving soon and Sailnet does not answer their phones or emails and their voicemail boxes are "full".
BTW - they charged my card for $90 or 25 butt connectors and double booked my order.

They are acting like they are either out of business or about to be out of business.

Any ideas on how to cancel my remaining order?

waltward 07-08-2005 08:35 PM

Any one else nervous

David

Sorry to hear about your order problems. The best thing might be to see if you can stop payment through your credit card, although I would guess it is too late for that. It seems to me that Sam & Cheryl were the epoxy that held this thing together. When they left you could feel the place start to quake. What scares me is the prospect of loosing these Message Boards, if SailNet does close up shop. Where do we go then? Withdrawal will be a bitch, we might have to go through a twelve step program. I have gone over to Sailjazz by e-mail and asked Sam & Cheyl if they will pick up the ball if the air goes out of this one. Let''s just hope for the best, I would hate to see this thing go down. I wish someone from SailNet would come in here and let us know what is going on, the way that Sam used to do.

Walt Ward

GordMay 07-09-2005 01:37 AM

Any one else nervous

This “Sailnet” board is one of the very best forums around - and I wouldn’t want to see anything happen to change that.
In the event that anything “untoward” should happen here, I can recommend “The Cruisers Forum” at:
www.cruisersforum.com
Let’s hope this excellent board remains the excellent forum we all benefit from, enjoy! Support "Sailnet.
Regards,
Gord

WHOOSH 07-09-2005 02:00 AM

Any one else nervous

Gordo, do you know something we don´t...?

Jack

GordMay 07-09-2005 04:11 AM

Any one else nervous

Jack:
That’s a pretty open-ended question to ask an egomaniac, like myself ... :)
I don’t, however. have any inside information on “Sailnet” nor the board. I was merely responding to the “possibility” projected in the previous post. Sorry if I alarmed anyone.
Gord

waltward 07-09-2005 06:49 AM

Any one else nervous

Gord

I agree with you wholeheartedly on everything you said about this forum. I have been to the Cruisers Forum a few times in the past and agree that it might be the next logical choice. I have always kept coming back here because the Sailnet boards are so simple, and it works. For instance, I just went over to Cruisers, I counted the number of message categories, they have 44, compared with the 12 we have here.

I started this whole thing. I hope I was wrong and we find out SailNet is just having a normal, run of the mill sale, like most businesses do. And; that I have to apologize.
However with David''s report on his recent experience, we have to wonder. If anyone out here has had recent good experience ordering and dealing with SailNet on problems, it would help us if we could hear about it.

Walt Ward

Jonathan316 07-09-2005 09:07 PM

Any one else nervous

Sounds like "business as usual" for Sailnet. This nice forum aside -- which they tried hard to bury when they redesigned the web site last year -- they don''t answer phone calls, they do not answer emails, and generally just don''t care.

In the past 2 years I have sent them 9 email messages, each asking to purchase one product or service or another. Not one reply -- but 4 copies of their email sale announcement.

Sad but true is that the forum is the only saving grace for what could be a good operation.

erdagte 07-10-2005 11:02 AM

Any one else nervous

Like David, I too have been the victim of the "SailNet Double Order" bug.
I tried to call but there was no answer and the voicemail is full. So I sent an e-mail to customer service hoping they will cancel one of the two orders. If not, well I guess two copies of Calder''s book is better than none.
TEE

waltward 07-10-2005 07:21 PM

Any one else nervous

Who knows what is going on here at SailNet. One of the sad things, if all of this goes down, is all of the stuff in the archives. There is welth of knowlage just in the Article archives alone, and then another wealth of knowlage in the Message Board archives.

In an effort to be prepared, I sent a e-mail to Sam & Cheryl over at SailJazz. I am going to try to copy my note to them, and Cheryl''s reply below.

Sam & Cheryl

Do you have any plans of doing a message board?

I am afraid things are starting to come apart at Sailnet. The message board system that you set up there has provided a lot of sailors with a place to go for information relating to our own problems, or to just spend time reading a lot of interesting questions and the answers from one sailor offering to help another. I have no doubt that a few friendships have been formed as a result of the message boards. Through the years I have not been able to buy enough product from Sailnet to be suportive, only a couple of very small purchases, however, I have enjoyed being a Sail Perks member to help support the message boards. If you do decide to get into a message board program, I for one will be happy to become a "Sail Jazz" member in an effort to support it.

You guys are doing a nice job with Articles, that is one thing that has already gone to pot over at SailNet. Your Email Forums seem to be some what like your old Email Lists at the other place. All you need now is the message board to be complete.

If you do get into a message board -- PLEASE -- use the same format that exists at Sailnet! It is simple and it works. It is the best one, and the least confusing message board format on the internet.

Thank You For Your Time

Walt Ward
Boyne City, Mi. ------ North end of Lake Michigan
---------------------------------------------

Walt,

As a matter of fact we do intend on launching a message board. I can not promise it will be exactly the same, but I''m sure it will be as simple to use. Our first dock talk is in the cue to be launched next week and the message board will be next.

Yes, our email forums are the same product as the other place :-) because we liked it so much. However, we''ve made some improvements. We added an easier interface for joining the list plus categorized the list to make browsing and selecting easier on the user. Plus we took out the @ on the address and replaced it with # to make it more difficult for scammers to pick them up. Protecting our list as much as possible has always been a priority for Sam and me.

Thanks for your email -- we appreciate your support.

Regards,
Cheryl