Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2005

paulmcquillan is on a distinguished road
Would SA or other well funded org host us?

Added this to another thread, but it''s probably better here as a new discussion.

Jeff, you should email the editor at SA... an even bigger community is a strong advantage.

This came up in one of the other forums about the long term viability of the Sailjazz model vs having Sailing Anarchy host these message boards and owner email lists.
-----
Yes, actually I do. Sailjazz has no visible business model for long term funding, while the SA crowd is bouncing between 80,000 and 100,000 DAILY visitors. Their advertisers are already paying $$ for that reach, so adding this traffic is easy. I KNOW how much it costs for big-time bandwidth, and good intentions will not keep this running.
Paul

On Jul 20, 2005, at 9:27 AM, Walt Leutwyler wrote:

Paul,
The good folks at SailJazz, Sam Boyle and Cheryl Boyle, have a Newport list already in place no need to create something new. Do you have some concerns about SailJazz? In an e-mail to me yesterday Cheryl wrote "I understand folks are concerned if SAILjazz is here for the duration and I am saying yes!"

Walt_/)
On Jul 20, 2005, at 10:36 AM, Howard wrote:

fyi: Sailnet is about to sink into history...so most of the Beneteau list
subscribers are switching over to sailjazz because the founders ran Sailnet until they were taken over by their investors.
Hopefully Sailjazz will do better than Sailnet... Sam & Cheryl Boyle have
probably learned their "dot com" lessons....
The Sailjazz email forums are identical to Sailnet...really no surprise to
anyone.

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:00:31 -0700, you wrote:

You folks should see this Begin forwarded message:

Subject: World''s largest sailing website WANTS to host our email lists

These guys show up as THE sailing website with the largest volume of traffic. They heard about the good owners lists and message boardshere, and Sailing Anarchy is thinking about offering to host all these lists & message boards (in SEPARATE forums from the wild and wooly racing boards).

I''ve been very impressed over the years with their access at the very top of the sport.... where else do you find Robert Perry talking about his design work and while playing guitar that night at in a bar in China. Many, many posts from the TP52''s, Pyewacket, Sidney-Hobart crews and lots of others.
Paul

From the SA front page
-----
We have heard from a number of sources that SailNet is or is about to close their doors. We tried to get in touch with them, but got nothing but voice mail hell - in fact the sales voicemail said don''t leave a message - not exactly a ringing endorsement for business. Here is what was sent to us today:

Someone who lives close to Sailnet has posted a series of pictures showing that the Sailnet sign has been taken down, the parking lot is empty, and the building is locked up, with a closed sign in the door. He went once at 9 am, and then when he returned a little later, there was a Mercedes parked near the door, but despite pounding on the door, there was no response. He asked around at a few other buildings nearby, and was told it''s been mostly deserted there.

Ouch. Things don''t sound any better over at their forum (which we have never visited but hear is pretty good). If anybody can verify, please do. Btw, we''d be happy to take over the message boards as a distinct entity here at SA. If anybody knows about them, get in touch with The Ed
7/20/05

------
SA Kicks...
From an advertiser: Over 30% of my traffic comes from your site, while your least favorite competitor delivers under 2%. I''ll be back.

No surprise to us - the SA community is an active one that spends money and isn''t afraid to do so with advertisers who support this site. We have become the #1 most visited sailing site because of you eaders who are down with the SA scene. Thanks y''all.
7/7/05
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2005

Update:

On Jul 20, 2005, at 12:37 PM, Sailing Anarchy wrote:

thanks - tell ''em we''re looking at making sure our infrastructure is set up for this. the c&c guys have asked us if we''ll do this too.

scot
Old 07-21-2005

GordMay is on a distinguished road

This has been, and may continue to be, a unique and wonderful forum to share information, and debate boat-related issues.
Unfortunately like all commercial enterprises, the Sailnet forum exists at the mercy of the marketplace, and may just suddenly disappear.
If the rumors of Sailnet’s imminent or extant demise are true, we can expect the forum to simply disappear without warning - perhaps at month-end (billing period).

I don’t expect that the CruisersForum will necessarily fill the needs of this membership, nor replace the Sailnet board, but it may provide a meeting place to stay in touch with developments - and to “tag up” with each other. I will endeavour to maintain a clearing-house of information at http://cruisersforu.com
Specifically at the thread: http://cruisersforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2059
Titled: ”SAILNET Message Board”
Under the “Blue Water Cruising” divider, at the heading “Books, References, Links & Website’ Announcements”

Here’s hoping the rumors are false, and the Sailnet Message Boards remain up & active.
If not, check in at the CruisersForum

Best regards,
Gord May
Old 07-21-2005

From the news links at Sailing Anarchy
Paul
----
The Biz

Dead

We understand that Sailnet is indeed dead, having closed their doors last week, and are not answering phones/e-mails. As to what specifically happened, we do not know but apparently new management came from the mail order business and knew little about the sailing world. Rumors are flying of course, but it sounds like big money was lost by the investors, and apparently the bank has taken a position on the property and the inventory. Some of the employee''s are trying to acquire the Air Force Sails. .Bummer for sure and we''ll keep you posted..

7/20/05