Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2014

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Re: "Boat" vs. "Yacht"?

Quote:
You mean, a 150ft sailboat is a boat if the owner can afford it?
Yup. And I suspect that if you own a 150' sailboat, you're looking at the 170' sailboat next to you in Monaco and planning on selling it for your next 180' purchase. That's how those guys are wired.

But remember, if you own a 30' $15,000 sailboat, then you're a "rich, elitist yachtsman". But if you own a 50' $150,000 motor home, then you're "a proud American".
(no offense to motor home owners, there just seems to be a bias against those who chose to spend time on the water).
Old 01-26-2014

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Within the U.S., the term 'Yacht' is only presumptuous to the non-sailing public and sailors who are not familiar with the proper definition of yacht, which simply is 'pleasure craft' rather than a commercial vessel. Size is not a factor at all in the U.S. definition of the term. But because many non-sailors associate the term yacht with wealth and grandeur many of us are somewhat self-conscious about bandying the term around lightly. Still and all, proper radio etiquette would normally include identification, and the proper formal identification for a pleasure vessel includes " this is the yacht 'so-and-so" "call number 'so-and-so' " to distinguish the type of vessel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2014

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

If you put a six pack of Bud into a trashed out oyster boat, it becomes a yacht.
Thermophile likes this.
Old 01-26-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Agree with Jeff but more and more folks are saying s/v or m/v these days on the radio around here. The bride and I sign our greeting cards and emails s/v as well when appropriate. Sounds better then "oil screw"
Old 01-26-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Hard to get around the manufacturer name of 'U.S Yacht 25' for my boat!

So for fun here is how I see it:

Boat is the name on tax forms
Yacht to my non boating friends
Sailboat to my boating friends
Old 01-26-2014

Markwesti is on a distinguished road

Look it up in the Sailor's Sketch Book by Bruce Bingham .
Old 01-26-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Within the U.S., the term 'Yacht' is only presumptuous to the non-sailing public and sailors who are not familiar with the proper definition of yacht, which simply is 'pleasure craft' rather than a commercial vessel. Size is not a factor at all in the U.S. definition of the term. But because many non-sailors associate the term yacht with wealth and grandeur many of us are somewhat self-conscious about bandying the term around lightly. Still and all, proper radio etiquette would normally include identification, and the proper formal identification for a pleasure vessel includes " this is the yacht 'so-and-so" "call number 'so-and-so' " to distinguish the type of vessel.
Jeff, we have no control on what words mean or how the meaning change and the meaning of words change with time. If the majority of English speakers (sailors or not) start to call yacht only to big boats than to call yacht to a small boat will becomes pretentious (not saying that is what is happening in US but it is certainly what is happening on most European countries).

Two examples of words that changed meaning:

Corinthian, a word used many times regarding sailing to mean amateur in the good sense of the word (the one who loves but it not a professional) meant on its original sense (related with the inhabitants of Corinth) licentious and libertine.

The word : exquisite, in French (exquis), having had that meaning in Portuguese long ago means today only odd, weird.

esquisito - DicionŠrio PortuguÍs-InglÍs WordReference.com

You can have the best of intentions saying to a Portuguese lady that is cooking is "esquisito" but I can tell you for sure she is going not to like the comment.

regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-26-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
But remember, if you own a 30' $15,000 sailboat, then you're a "rich, elitist yachtsman".
and by that definition, you (all of us) shouldn't have a problem paying the associated taxes, right?

I talk about my boat with people I work with and they refer to it as a yacht. Maybe because I can actually stay on it for days/weeks at a time. When I think of a yacht, I'm thinking of those big shiny ones showcased in the magazines (40'+)

Either way, it get's me out on the water and away from the stresses of day-to-day nonsense.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 01-26-2014

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Agree with Jeff but more and more folks are saying s/v or m/v these days on the radio around here. The bride and I sign our greeting cards and emails s/v as well when appropriate. Sounds better then "oil screw"
Yep, I'm hearing that more and more these days, it does make sense when trying to be clear in indentification
Lou452 likes this.

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 01-26-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

How's this: If it's financed, it's a yacht. If you paid cash, it's a boat.

On the radio I self-identify as "sailing vessel." I figure it will assist with visual identification.
Sabreman likes this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)