Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2014

Rick486 is on a distinguished road
Re: "Boat" vs. "Yacht"?

If one muster ponder this question, then for sure he is not a yachtsman.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2014

Andrew65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella's crew View Post
FWIW
In my mind when I think of her, "My wonderful yacht", to wife and friends, "You talking about that %$#@%$ Boat again, it's winter."

Ain't it the truth, ain't it the truth! Lol!
Old 01-27-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

The guy in the jacket and hat is over the top. But the grotty yottie is very prevelant. Scumy dressed in rags now retired men feel they look right with long greasy hair in a pony tail, ass out of their shorts and a tshirt the ripped jeans generations chucked out a decade ago.

You may have retired but does all self discipline go out the door? Why do I have to smell the unwashed former executive pretending to be something he's not?

If they dress like that what must the wifes put up with when they get down to their undies?

Mark
BubbleheadMd, jimgo and Dave_E like this.
Old 01-27-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Gee Mark that's pretty harsh. Maybe the guy just came off passage or replacing the duckbill valve in his head or ripping an engine down. Agree with you phonies are phoney but everyone carries a heavy load time to time. Could see myself characterized like that if it's a work day on the boat.Think being dirty is gross but maybe the guy is depressed or has "issues".
Admittingly the mater says I clean up nice before we do three -zies at the club. and I love a nice shower.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Last edited by outbound; 01-27-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
If they dress like that what must the wifes put up with when they get down to their undies?
Just hang this from your junk:

Problem solved.

And remember...it's not "Yachts and Hoes"

MarkofSeaLife and Minnesail like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-28-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-28-2014

BentSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Damn it man! I was enjoying a nice lamington with my coffee and you've gone and ruined my appetite.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Old 01-28-2014

H and E is on a distinguished road

Most of my long time friends are non-boaters. I tell them I have a small sailboat and they ask how long-I say 25', they say that's big. Where I grew up (power boating) a Yacht was 100' or better. Who cares as long as you enjoy it.
Old 01-28-2014

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by H and E View Post
...Who cares as long as you enjoy it.
We have a winner !

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 01-28-2014

norahs arc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Bene, I've always been curious, how do you get to that forward berth?
I'm not sure, but I think he takes the subway.
The boat does have one doesn't it?
jimgo likes this.
Old 01-28-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

My buddy Jerry owns a 100 footer. Each cabin on the boat has it's own complete air conditioning and heating system. It has a crane to lift the dinghy into the water with, a toy room in the stern for dive gear and water toys, a hydraulic hide and seek TV, marble counter tops and burns hundreds of gallons per hour.. He can spend more in a weekend on fuel then our boat is probably worth. It also has three bars & a wine cellar. The entire boat has close circuit tv monitoring and a remote control pod for docking. He is having it painted this winter to the tune of 350k+.....

Jerry calls it a "boat" but then again Jerry is not a pretentious guy despite the large amounts of money he's made. If you met him in a bar the Timex on his wrist and the 1998 car in the parking lot would give no indication of his net worth.

He runs the boat him self and his wife cooks, no captain and no crew when off cruising just family & friends.. He handles this boat with ease and in 15 years has never even scratched it. Only at the slip do they have paid crew to maintain the BOAT. Heck his slip in Florida cost him SEVEN FIGURES for this BOAT....

We own a boat and will never own a "yacht". Sorry but it just sounds so arrogant and insecure like a middle aged guy with a small "D" and a red Corvette....

Perhaps it is because I have worked for owners who refer to their toys as yachts, and also worked for the owners who call them boats, that I have formed this opinion.

I have always preferred the owners who call them boats and in general find them considerably more down to Earth, well grounded and less arrogant/ignorant/rude/demeaning/demanding etc. etc..... Have there been owners who call them yachts that don't meet this, yes, but they are about 1 in 20 in my experience.

I once interviewed with an owner of a sport fishing boat, this is what they are called, and he kept referring to it as his sport fishing yacht, a real stomach turning name, and he really suffered from small-d syndrome.

He made me an offer and I turned it down. He was shocked that I was not interested in kissing his yachtie a$$.. A week later I was working on an even nicer sport fishing boat, that not only fished better but it had an owner who was as down to Earth as they come. He was even wealthier than the yacht guy but one would never know it and he called his sport fishing boat a boat. The guy would bring us iced coffee every day he came to the boat and treated his crew as humans.. The d-bag on the yacht/sport fishing boat expected his crew to file his toe nails and never once thought of his employees as even human, they were servants. He went through about six or seven crew in three months.. Go figure...

When a boat owner calls me to request work and they start saying things like "I need some electrical work done to my yacht." it is amazing how many weeks booked out I become. I usually add three or four weeks to my existing back log for yacht owners because it is these yacht owners who alaways seem to be the cheapest guys on the planet. Perhaps if they had only bought a boat they could afford to have it fixed... BTDT with too many yacht owners to continue the head bonk......... They are usually the last people who will get a call back from me even if my schedule allowed for it..... Yes, I am stereo typing, but this is based on my own direct experiences.... Sorry if that offends but most people I have dealt with who feel the need to use the word yacht well....

I also dislike calling our yacht club what it is, so we usually just call it PYC or the club. We even refer to it as the "boat club" to the dismay of some of the "yachties" in our club.... Our 7 year old even knows not to call it the "Y" word."

Sorry but I find the word yacht has a level of self important, self absorbed arrogance to it and owners who use it are not generally folks I have much in common with.... Again, this opinion I have formed has been created by working for and dealing with two owner sets; boat owners and yacht owners bring on the boat owners!!!

We own a sailboat or a boat not a sail yacht, sailing yacht or a yacht because I don't want to be associated or lumped into the bucket with what I have personally experienced over the years rom yacht owners.......

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-28-2014 at 03:01 PM.