Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2014
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Re: How do you rate your marina/mooring ?

My marina sucks. It is outrageously expensive - $34 per foot per year.

Men roam the docks who don't shave every day, own ugly boats and smell like fish.

The place fairly swarms with harbor staff at all hours, seven days a week.

It is not unusual to see a moose carcass being dressed out hanging from the crane on the dock.

You'd hate it here, really.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to vega1860 For This Useful Post:
Markwesti (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

I'm in Redondo Beach, CA. As a liveaboard they tack on $200 to the ~$425/mo. It varies about $5 depending on electrical use. The docks are old and splintery, people in the harbor accidentally discharge their waste tanks frequently, or their oil, or their fuel, in the water.
Yet, there is somewhat secure parking until someone drives through the 2x4 gate on the weekend. And you need a key to use the restroom/shower facilities which is nice. It's close to restaurants with negligible noise.
The real problem is when a neighbor on a boat throws a BBQ and party on a Monday night at 11pm with drunk guests, or the guy who sleeps the covered bed of his pickup truck and uses the showers twice a day even though he's probably got a 20ft fishing boat that allows him the access into the marina
The Following User Says Thank You to Philzy3985 For This Useful Post:
Markwesti (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
You still want me to move my boat, Mark? Right now I pay $9 per foot for a monthly bill of $212. I'm in the middle of nowhere, five miles up a channel from open water. Amenities are sparse, but the showers are hot and clean. The nearest restaurant is a dive bar called the Chowder Barge. Decent soup and ice cold beer, but I have to drive to get anywhere...I was thinking about moving to Mark's marina as it is centrally located to anything you could possible want.
We are neighbors slip 158, you gotta love the rent but your correct as we have nothing nearby, the California cafe next door and the chowder barge (short drive) there are a few marinas in the area that have stores but not supermarkets. I was in Alamitos Bay in the 90's and that was a beautiful place now its a toilet until they finish the rebuild. Downtown Long Beach is a Ok place but the tourists and traffic is a bitch. Which marina is Mark in?

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

Old 01-28-2014

timtim is on a distinguished road

I like the friends I've made at my home away from home at Bath Marina in Bath NC.
I got a discounted rate for paying the year up front. Average regular monthly rate is
about $250.00 includes water and electric. Has four rooms in motel that are discounted to tenants of slips. Nice restrooms with showers for slip tenants. Docks are older and will need repair from time to time, but are set up nicely for easy docking. Quiet most of the time. Restaurants close by and across the street. I have no plans on leaving anytime soon. Sails up in about ten minutes from dock.
Old 01-28-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

I was at a marina this summer that used these for dock cleats:

They seem pretty shoddy to me. The owner of the boat I was on said they abraded the dock lines pretty bad.

Is it common to use welded pipe instead of proper cleats?
Old 01-28-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

We keep the Womboat on a mooring in a river just off upper Sydney Harbour. Five minutes to open harbour, an hour to open ocean. We have a favourite anchorage only twenty minutes away, many others from half an hour to an hour and a half. Costs AUD600pa plus another couple of hundred for inspection of mooring once a year. We don't live on board but regularly spend ten plus days a month. We can park 20 feet from dinghy storage, short row to boat.

Thing I like about moorings is that usually you get good air flow and air con is not really needed. While I like the convenience of being able to step off the boat and walk to toilets and shower, for mine it doesn't outweigh the isolation (comparative) of a mooring in even a relatively crowded field.

Full time liveaboard/cruising ? I reckon we'll mainly anchor out and pull into a marina maybe once a month. We do like to eat out and a marina certainly makes loading the supplies a damn sight easier.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 01-28-2014

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

We love our marina and won't disclose the name because then it will be discovered

The owner lives on the property and he and the staff walk the covered sail and powerboat docks everyday. If you forget to bring home food that will spoil they'll retrieve it for you (and eat it free of charge). There is a "Liar's Corner" next to the office under a covered dock where free goodies are laid out each day - it can be bags of pretzels, tomatoes from someones garden, whatever. If you need a ride locally, the owner will take you himself. Block and cube ice is on the honor system ($3 block or 16# bag). The owner is a boater who lives aboard during winter months in FL so he "gets" it. Kids wander the docks catching crabs and the marina has occasional pot luck dinners to which everyone is invited. Slip holders pool money for fireworks or someone just buys a bunch and fires them off the sand spit nearby (not fun having hot ash land on the boat though). Rules are basic - pay your bill and have fun, quiet after 11 or so. Keep the dog on a leash. The marina cat will visit your boat and snuggle up with you in your bunk if the hatches are open - and you have no say in the matter.

Cost for us is $145/mo + $5 for electric. IMO, it's one of the world's great marinas - not the fanciest, but the best.

Faster and timtim like this.
Old 01-28-2014

CharlzO is on a distinguished road

Man, I need more options lol. I'm looking at $1352 for the season where I'm aiming to go. State Park Marina, with electric and facilities, etc. Maybe after the first year of getting the boat settled in, I'll be able to find more options. Most of the others are another hour up the lake though, so it's the price I'll be paying for being a little closer, I guess.

Old 01-29-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
Man, I need more options lol. I'm looking at $1352 for the season where I'm aiming to go. State Park Marina, with electric and facilities, etc. Maybe after the first year of getting the boat settled in, I'll be able to find more options. Most of the others are another hour up the lake though, so it's the price I'll be paying for being a little closer, I guess.
I pay $2700 a season, HOWEVER a season here is 12 months. Sorry I had to give you a little dig...
ericb760 likes this.

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

Old 01-29-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Here on Long Island Sound, most sailboats are on moorings. Some rented from commercial operators, some part of yacht club fleets. I belong to a yacht club and dues are about $1500/year. That includes launch service, clubhouse with kitchen for member use, free ice, use of commercial gas BBQ grills, dinghy storage, social activities, etc. I am responsible for providing and maintaining my mooring. A slip in the local Brewers marina would be several times that. The yacht club is one of the reasons I decided to not move when I retired.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.