Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road
Re: Making money with your sailing blog

Its all an illusion my friend. Those that don't know when enough is enough will never have enough

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2014

EdmundPalmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
I like how you think Paul but the reality according to Google is that its worth $2.00 a day. Some quick work in penny stocks and I have a grand in one month. I roll that on the Russell 2000 and I have 5k in short order. NASDAQ has some great buys right now and 60 days and 5k is looking like 20k to me. Roll that 20k around S&P for 10 months and I have a cool 250K. Gold is a buyers heaven right now so I go all tangibles and when the market crashes I turn my gold into millions in real estate for pennies on the dollar. I rent those houses out for top dollar on VRBO as luxury vacation rentals and make a killing. Americans have a very short term memory so when the next real estate bubble comes I make millions. I donate it all to my favorite charity buy a small boat and sail away Been there done that. If you don't think a dollar is a lot of money you don't understand basic math

Well said sir.
Old 01-28-2014
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road

I have no expectations of making money from my boat log but I also have no remorse about running ads on it. Maybe it will pay for its own hosting some day. Or not. I write it because I love doing it, but if it makes a little money on the side, that's cool too.

It's really difficult though. I've made way less than bljones.
Old 01-29-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I wonder if the YouTube channels are making people any money. They often seem like extraordinary effort to publish. Maybe its for love, maybe not. I know some that are clearly designed to ultimately drive you to buy a product they sell, like a DVD set or even go to a retail store.

Somehow, I think there is a model out there where you can drive a few bucks, if you have a following. "Few" may be the operative word.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-29-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

My blog (if I blogged) would bore people to death.

There are so many blogs out there, it's hard not to be drowned out by all the static. We're all basically doing the same thing. It's a writer's style that mostly sets you apart.

Your blog, and BLJones' blog are examples of that. You both have a writing style that draws people in.

"Sequitur" is another blogger that seems popular. His "schtick" seems to be exotic cooking, while world traveling. Smack seems to like it for that, plus the fact that the guy took a Hunter production boat into arduous sailing conditions.

It doesn't appeal to me. I found his writing style to be ponderous and pretentious. It didn't matter that they were achieving amazing things, I simply couldn't stomach his writing. It seemed just more of the "Rich People sail around the world! Film at 11:00!" Whoop-dee-do. Some folks loved it, and that's fine.

Your and Jones' blog appeal to me more.

Jones is the "everyman" and BFN seems to be a "Captain Nemo" type, who is/was brilliant with finance and numbers, but eschews today's shallow society for a monk-like existence on his little boat.
bljones and barefootnavigator like this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255

Last edited by BubbleheadMd; 01-30-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-29-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Calling Jones an "everyman" may be overstating it. His luck runs more like mine, that's why I like his blog. Misery loves company.
bljones likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 01-29-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Yeah I agree. I like Brian's writing style and I like the writing of Barefootnavigator. Both have potential.

As this is BFN 's thread, I'll say he is aiming high with his writing and has a raw talent for words, if a bit self indulgent. When he actually starts going places and the subject matter is different I think the blog could really be special.
Old 01-29-2014

irmedic is on a distinguished road

The way people make money is studying sites like this: blackhatworld.com. It's worth the big read and has an amazing amount of profit making techniques.

For me I use advertising to pay the bills on most sites. Selling a one year ad to a local company for $500 keeps an honest profit. Know your Google Analytics as well and own a few key domain names pointed at your site. ie saillakehavasu.com or similar. You'll get a pile of hits over a $10 investment. It's more about driving the traffic to you and having the content there when they arrive.
barefootnavigator likes this.

Old 01-29-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Never can imagine myself clicking though to an ad whilst I am reading an intersting website, so I have noever though money can be made from ads on my site. Well, not big money anyway.
Plus my site doesnt get the hits, maybe 100 per day.
But i did want to test of the power of the internet and making money off a website so I thought I might put a "donate" button on my site. Yes, a little tacky, no doubt, but i wondered if someone reading the site and liking it may chuck a few dollars in. At least thats direct payment for something thats entertained someone.

Well, either my writing needs to pick up or something cos no one has been splashing me with cash!

I think the wesbtoe that make money are selling something, like a product. Thats why Amazon is doing well, but also a myriad of smaller merchants. There be the difficulty when cruising that its hard to ship stuff. But if that can be worked out then selling something would make more money than click-through advertising... Or donate buttons!

Also, i took 100 magazine quality photos of a small superyacht burning to the waterline and every magazine wanted the photos... But not to pay for them and I was only asking for $40 for the bloody lot!

Mark

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 01-29-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-29-2014

irmedic is on a distinguished road

Here's a more precise how to: A Complete Idiot's Guide to On Page Optimizations for your Website (Newbie Guide)