Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2014

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Making money with your sailing blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
No licencing issues for Brothers in Arms?
that is not on my blog

it is on youtube....

I can embed it here and embed it on my blog,

you can embed it but not host it

google has a deal with all the major music owners

so google now owns the film

it is in the 20,000 word google contract many of you guys have signed

I have a friend who is a corporate lawyer

she read the google contract - she said that I had given them permission to come into my house and take my babies

she was only half joking

the music on my proper films has come from bands I know personally or from places where you buy tracks for about $20 a time - for a license of up to 50,000 downloads or copies with a video - and I can assure you I will never reach those numbers on sailing films

Google are still making a handsom profit on the trucking films I made five years ago

D

the thread, in my case, should really be called "losing money with your sailing blog"
barefootnavigator likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dylanwinter1; 01-30-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanwinter1 View Post
....we all make our own beds
Exactly as it should be. I choose to do something I find rewarding and satisfying, but not nearly as passionate as other things in my life. It also pays the bills that allow me to indulge some passions.

Interestingly, there is another angle. There is a big difference between going to the pub for a few pints with your friends and taking a client there. Heretofore, introducing a customer into something you enjoy, altered the experience.

I think the internet has changed that. The client is a ghost compared to traditional models. Easier to keep at arms length and, therefore, easier to introduce into your passion. However, that may also be why is pays less. No pain (with a client), no gain, in a way, I suppose.

It will be very interesting to see where this goes. Google is banking on a big sea change!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Exactly as it should be. I choose to do something I find rewarding and satisfying, but not nearly as passionate as other things in my life. It also pays the bills that allow me to indulge some passions.

Interestingly, there is another angle. There is a big difference between going to the pub for a few pints with your friends and taking a client there. Heretofore, introducing a customer into something you enjoy, altered the experience.

I think the internet has changed that. The client is a ghost compared to traditional models. Easier to keep at arms length and, therefore, easier to introduce into your passion. However, that may also be why is pays less. No pain (with a client), no gain, in a way, I suppose.

It will be very interesting to see where this goes. Google is banking on a big sea change!

as a hack the new media has brought me far closer to the people who read my words, listen to yak and look at the images

I know more or less who they are, where they live, youtube tells me how old they are and most interestingly when in a film they give up and look at somethings else

however, in the past I worked for the BBC or newspapers they paid me for my work and they interfaced with the consumers of the copy

google just takes it because it owns the means of distribution

I am not complaining - just explaining

the world is the way it is

d

Last edited by dylanwinter1; 01-30-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-30-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

!

I don't quite understand what you wrote here. I'm a bit lost, can you explain what you mean? .
Old 01-30-2014
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post

Having done that myself for several years now, I can answer with an unqualified yes. Based on my experience it is quite clear that it is possible to make a nice living using the internet. With current and near-future technology I think one might earn above average income even while at sea given reliable fast internet service.
We “my wife and I” look forward to the next post form Lealea. We, like most, have a dream of casting off one day, in fact we hope to leave in the fall of 2018. My wife, has carved out a niche’ in the software industry, which will be worked into the sailing lifestyle. We will need 2 to 4 hours a day of good internet service for her to keep this income. I, on the other hand, I will design a truck driver Web based safety training website and do on-site company speaking to cover D.O.T rules and regulations. I also hope to speak at trade shows. I will complete the toast-Masters speaker program this comming year. I will also have a small book on driver safety and inspections. As a transportation safety training consultant, I have made some really sweet money. I will spend the next phase of my 10 year plan making this business work from the boat. We are now 50 and hope to untie at 55. We hope to sail for 10 years. “SOUTH”
Thanks again, its folks like you that have given us the courage to do this.
P.S tell the admiral we would love to see more of her cooking on you-tube.
Cheers, Lt
Old 01-30-2014
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

As many have shared, it's certainly possible to make money with a sailing blog, but it likely won't happen overnight and it likely won't happen without effort. I've got a handful of web ventures going that create "passive" income.

My sailing blog, SailFarLiveFree.com, ranks third in income but takes the majority of my efforts. It also happens to bring me a lot of enjoyment, which I can't quite put a price on.

My advice:

1. Don't consider making money online as passive income - it takes persistence, dedication and effort. If you're passive about it, then don't expect an income!

2. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket - diversify! (For example use a mixture of SEO/Google rankings, advertising, Adsense, Amazon, social media, other affiliates, sponsorship, etc. so that if one goes south you're not sunk.)

3. Quality content is king. If it isn't well-written and you weren't inspired to write it, it probably isn't adding value to your blog/website. Quality content seems to produce good traffic...eventually.
vega1860 and joethecobbler like this.

Old 01-30-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
I don't quite understand what you wrote here. I'm a bit lost, can you explain what you mean? .
It was a contrast to my previous post, where I used the adage "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life"

The contrast was the analogy that you may love going to the pub, but once you put a customer in the equation, it may not be the same experience. As another, I love sailing. If I had to show up because customers were expecting me to take them sailing, it would be very different.

Internet blogs, etc, are taking the customer intimacy, which is emotionally draining work, out of the equation. You're not expected at a particular time, you have the anonymity of the internet to type, it doesn't matter if you're presentable today or in a good mood, or tired. The customer may not know. As a result, it would seem being less financially rewarding makes sense.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-31-2014
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanwinter1 View Post
and I agreed to write 1000 words for a $100
Most people have no idea how much work it is to write a thousand words of coherent text. I doubt I would take a job that paid so little. I do it simply because I enjoy writing.
MikeOReilly likes this.

Old 01-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
Most people have no idea how much work it is to write a thousand words of coherent text. I doubt I would take a job that paid so little. I do it simply because I enjoy writing.
coherent.... coherent....

who said it has to be coherent

damn

Old 01-31-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

I was thinking the same thing. I can bust out a 1000 words in 10 minutes but I doubt I have e ever written anything coherent. Its not me its my A.D.D.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.