SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Making money with your sailing blog (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/119489-making-money-your-sailing-blog.html)

barefootnavigator 01-27-2014 01:48 PM

Making money with your sailing blog

I'm just curious if anyone here is making any money with their sailing blog. I have never attempted to advertise or sell anything on my blog. I don't have any sponsors although I do have a buy me a beer option. Today I got a notification from word press that my blog is getting a lot of attention and when I started to delve into it my audience is growing exponentially. As far as ranking goes its still a baby but I'm wondering if its worth looking into. So along the lines of cruising budgets and incomes I'm just curious if anyone here is getting paid to blog.
www.artofhookie.org

copacabana 01-27-2014 02:04 PM

Re: Making money with your sailing blog

barefoot, I'm one of the (many) followers of your blog. It's one of the very few I follow. I thoroughly enjoy it and find it well-written and intelligent. Keep it up please! Now that I know you have "buy me a beer' button (I hadn't noticed!), I'll have to do so!

Abrašos!

bljones 01-27-2014 02:06 PM

I have had over 160 000 page views.
Total income from adsense? $17.61.
No Amazon Associates income at all.
Do it because you enjoy doing it, not because it might help fill the kitty.

barefootnavigator 01-27-2014 02:19 PM

Copacabana Thank you for the kind words but seriously no need to buy me a beer. I added that when I was out cruising without a single penny in the kitty, it was hot as hell and really was wishing for a beer. The very next day I was sharing an ice cold one in paradise.

BJ I completely understand what you are saying, I have been blogging for 7 years 4 times a week and never thought about doing it for money. When I got the statistics today it showed my number one search for the year was for Boatyard Pirates my old blog, oops :) that one has hugely more popular but I suspect it had more to do with my lovely ex wife than me.

alctel 01-27-2014 02:32 PM

I think it's always going to be tricky making money from blogs, even if you become popular - I'm not sure exactly how you'd do it.

I've just checked out your blog - I love the design!

Markwesti 01-27-2014 03:06 PM

A friend of mine has a blog The Climb he has had it for awhile . Various ads are on there . I never asked if he makes money at it, you could ask him he answers email. The blog is a crack up it's about bicycles, and being a hopeless weight weene . It's dubdubdub dot the-climb dot net

barefootnavigator 01-27-2014 03:11 PM

Funny you should mention being a weight weenie. I have spent the last week agonizing over a new handlebar because it is 90 grams more than I find acceptable, yep about 3 ounces. I'll go check him out. My bike fits into my lazerette and goes everywhere I do.

PaulinVictoria 01-27-2014 10:14 PM

If you're lucky you might be able to raise your cruising budget to $501 a month :)

barefootnavigator 01-27-2014 10:38 PM

I like how you think Paul but the reality according to Google is that its worth $2.00 a day. Some quick work in penny stocks and I have a grand in one month. I roll that on the Russell 2000 and I have 5k in short order. NASDAQ has some great buys right now and 60 days and 5k is looking like 20k to me. Roll that 20k around S&P for 10 months and I have a cool 250K. Gold is a buyers heaven right now so I go all tangibles and when the market crashes I turn my gold into millions in real estate for pennies on the dollar. I rent those houses out for top dollar on VRBO as luxury vacation rentals and make a killing. Americans have a very short term memory so when the next real estate bubble comes I make millions. I donate it all to my favorite charity buy a small boat and sail away :) Been there done that. If you don't think a dollar is a lot of money you don't understand basic math :)

PaulinVictoria 01-27-2014 10:44 PM

In that case, why d*ck around on a $500 a month budget? Go for a month spending just $440 and in a couple of months you'll be a billionaire surely :)