SailNet Community (
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (
-   -   Making money with your sailing blog (

barefootnavigator 01-27-2014 02:48 PM

Making money with your sailing blog
its done now

copacabana 01-27-2014 03:04 PM

Re: Making money with your sailing blog
barefoot, I'm one of the (many) followers of your blog. It's one of the very few I follow. I thoroughly enjoy it and find it well-written and intelligent. Keep it up please! Now that I know you have "buy me a beer' button (I hadn't noticed!), I'll have to do so!

bljones 01-27-2014 03:06 PM

I have had over 160 000 page views.
Total income from adsense? $17.61.
No Amazon Associates income at all.
Do it because you enjoy doing it, not because it might help fill the kitty.

barefootnavigator 01-27-2014 03:19 PM

Copacabana Thank you for the kind words but seriously no need to buy me a beer. I added that when I was out cruising without a single penny in the kitty, it was hot as hell and really was wishing for a beer. The very next day I was sharing an ice cold one in paradise.

BJ I completely understand what you are saying, I have been blogging for 7 years 4 times a week and never thought about doing it for money. When I got the statistics today it showed my number one search for the year was for Boatyard Pirates my old blog, oops :) that one has hugely more popular but I suspect it had more to do with my lovely ex wife than me.

alctel 01-27-2014 03:32 PM

I think it's always going to be tricky making money from blogs, even if you become popular - I'm not sure exactly how you'd do it.

I've just checked out your blog - I love the design!

Markwesti 01-27-2014 04:06 PM

A friend of mine has a blog The Climb he has had it for awhile . Various ads are on there . I never asked if he makes money at it, you could ask him he answers email. The blog is a crack up it's about bicycles, and being a hopeless weight weene . It's dubdubdub dot the-climb dot net

barefootnavigator 01-27-2014 04:11 PM

Funny you should mention being a weight weenie. I have spent the last week agonizing over a new handlebar because it is 90 grams more than I find acceptable, yep about 3 ounces. I'll go check him out. My bike fits into my lazerette and goes everywhere I do.

PaulinVictoria 01-27-2014 11:14 PM

If you're lucky you might be able to raise your cruising budget to $501 a month :)

barefootnavigator 01-27-2014 11:38 PM

I like how you think Paul but the reality according to Google is that its worth $2.00 a day. Some quick work in penny stocks and I have a grand in one month. I roll that on the Russell 2000 and I have 5k in short order. NASDAQ has some great buys right now and 60 days and 5k is looking like 20k to me. Roll that 20k around S&P for 10 months and I have a cool 250K. Gold is a buyers heaven right now so I go all tangibles and when the market crashes I turn my gold into millions in real estate for pennies on the dollar. I rent those houses out for top dollar on VRBO as luxury vacation rentals and make a killing. Americans have a very short term memory so when the next real estate bubble comes I make millions. I donate it all to my favorite charity buy a small boat and sail away :) Been there done that. If you don't think a dollar is a lot of money you don't understand basic math :)

PaulinVictoria 01-27-2014 11:44 PM

In that case, why d*ck around on a $500 a month budget? Go for a month spending just $440 and in a couple of months you'll be a billionaire surely :)