Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2005

waltward is on a distinguished road
We are still here

We are still here, and with the message that appears on the home page, perhaps we should take the positive outlook, and carry on with our chit chat as we have for the last few years.

I am herein asking for a role call to see who all are still here.

Walt Ward
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2005

dman is on a distinguished road
We are still here

I`m still here arguing.
Old 08-25-2005

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point
We are still here

I''m still here...listening...and taking it all in, except the nasty attitudes.

bobbi
Old 08-25-2005

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
We are still here

Still here.

And for those who would like to know, I''ll be spending more time dreaming about sailing than doing it for the rest of the New England season.

Seems I discovered why a strong, skeg hung, rudder is such a nice feature while cruising. In all my years of sailing, I guess I was lucky that I never hit anything on the water.

Last weekend, sailing through Fishers Island Sound, just past the Race into Long Island Sound, in heavy fog, doing about 6.5kts, I struck a 30 foot by 2 foot "tree" that had been washed out to sea after the tornado that hit Long Island the week before. My rudder, a large balanced spade on a 4" solid aluminum rudder stock, was bent back, up into my hull. The result was that I had to sail back to my home port using sail trim as my primary steerage. I was able to do small steering corrections under power enabling me to dock the boat.

The rudder now has a bent post, and was opened up all along the leading edge. Ouch. At an estimate of $10,000 - $12,000 for a new custom rudder (only about 20 copies of my hull were built 30 years ago) and about 2 months time, I am now an armchair sailor until next season.

Rick
Old 08-25-2005

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
We are still here

On the other hand, you should be thankful tht you only lost a rudder and did not sink the boat. All too often, skegs provide a false sense of security. The small profile and working area within the skeg means that it is very hard to get properly laminated glass in the skeg. As a result skegs are often not as strong as they might seem.

The confined work area results in the skegs being built in one of two ways, either as a separately fabricated element that is then glassed onto the hull or as an integral part of the hull (which is by far the most common), either of which have strength limitations.

Built as a separate element, it is hard to get a proper structural connection between the skeg and the hull. If damaged the skeg would be largely sacrificial but if the connection fails, also would transmit much of the load to the substantially reduced in strength rudder post typical of a skeg hung rudder, (meaning that even with a skeg fashioned independent of the hull you might be replacing a skeg and a rudder.)

The intergral skeg is by far a harder solution to build well. Not only is it hard to properly laminate within the skeg cavity but the skeg generally needs supplimental internal framing to distribute the loads that would be applied to the hull in the kind of impact that you are describing. Few manufacturers include the kind of transverse framing and sealer membrane that would be necessary for the skeg to withstand that kind of impact. As is more often the case,and as it was with a boat that I looked at some years ago for someone buying as salvage from an insurance company, that kind of impact causes the aft end of the skeg to sheer upward through the hull, slicing the skin and allowing the boat to sink, while still bending the rudder post as well.

Properly constructed the top of the skeg should be glassed solidly closed, with a thickened glass area extending out into the hull beyond the area of the fillet of the skeg, and there should be a generous athwartship frame or bulkhead at the aft end of the skeg.

In any event, I am genuinely glad to hear that no one was hurt and, although saddened to hear that your sailing season had been shortened, glad to hear that at least your boat was not lost all together.

Regards,
Jeff
Old 08-25-2005

newuser is on a distinguished road
We are still here

Rick

For sure Jeff has said it better than some of us could, but we are all sorry to hear about your rudder, and at the same time happy that the boat did not go down. Which brings up another point, you displayed a fine bit of seamanship getting the boat back in her slip. You get my stand up, snappy salute. Many folks who have been sailing for quite a while would not have been able to do that.

Dam -- 10 or 12 grand for a rudder! Hope you are getting more than one quote. I think I could find some old bucket, with a rudder, that would get me around these Great Lakes, for that much. However; the guy that is going to build the rudder, I am sure, has to drive to work every day. With the cost of gasoline going up the way it is the cost of the rudder might even go up.

I hope all works out well for you and your boat is ready to launch early in the spring.

Walt
Old 08-25-2005

waltward is on a distinguished road
We are still here

I just looked, this thread has been viewed 86 times. That means either five of us keep coming back to see what is going on, or a whole lot of people are not reporting in.

Walt
Old 08-26-2005

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
We are still here

I''m still here. Last spring I bought a C&C 35 Landfall on the Chesapeake, and have a lot to learn about her systems, navigation, boat handling (singlehanded), and, being a long-time racer, I want to start getting her into some casual beer can racing. This forum has been a great resource for all sorts of information, and it''s a shame some people gave up on it so quickly.

This forum has a good format, divided into subject areas where you can go for specific information. On some forums, all the posts are lumped together, and you have to scroll through all of them to see if there''s anything you might be interested in.

If you guys want to, we can rejuvenate this forum as long as it''s on the server. Sailors are hungry for useful information and interesting chat. If we get some good discussions started, I don''t doubt that others will pick up the ball and run with it.
Old 08-28-2005

Billpjr is on a distinguished road
We are still here

I pop in every now and then...the content is too biased toward racing boats for me to pipe in often.

Silmaril, good luck with your rudder repair. Marina repair yards are full of boats with skeg hung bent rudders...all it takes to damage most skeg mounted or spade rudders is a mild grounding. Call any modern sailboat mfg and ask how many rudder tubes they sell...it is a mini aftermarket business.

Sailormon6...Designs like this are the trade off for getting from point A to B faster. Build the skeg strong enough not to break and it likely causes major damage to the hull with possible sinking...it''s another tradeoff. If you want to go cruising offshore beyond a 2 week vacation, remember there may not be a repair yard or tow vessel around to assist. Spare rudder systems are mandatory gear on boats like this if you want to be safe.
Old 08-29-2005

reporter is on a distinguished road
We are still here

SailNet customers,

I''m a newspaper reporter with The Post and Courier in Charleston, South Carolina. SailNet, which is headquartered here, filed for bankruptcy in late July and the government is now selling off its remaining assets. I am writing about the process, but I''m interested in what is happening to those of you who have been charged and have not yet received the ordered goods or a refund.

Please contact me at kstock@postandcourier.com if you care to comment.

- Kyle Stock
Business Reporter
The Post and Courier
www.charleston.net