Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2014

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing "big boats"

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
I think the word "scared" of a big boat is a bit misconstrued. It's not so much fear, I would think, as it is being not naive about what can potentially go wrong.
For me I am scared of the cost and have fear of getting the marina bills.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2014

Shockwave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
Might want to consider rigging the reef through there grommet, around the boom and back up to the grommet. Looks like fun.
Old 02-11-2014
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I don't think it is a good comparison, as bad as comparing a bus with a Porsche on the interstate highway.

You could compare on the interstate a small family car with a big limo but that is not fair also because the limo is not more difficult to drive or handle, at least on the interstate, while a bigger boat can (or not, depending of size and type of boat).

I believe that for most regarding big boats the main issues and questions are:

How big can I sail solo or with my wife comfortably?

How will the size of a big boat affect maintenance and marina costs?

How that size will affect the ability to put in and out the boat from marinas and ports alone or just with a bit of help from my wive?

How much that big size will affect availability of marina and port spaces on the cruising grounds I will sail?

How much I will gain in speed regarding a less expensive to maintain and easier to maneuver (at the marina) boat?

How much space and carrying load do I really need for the type of sailing and life-style (use of the boat) I have or want?

Regards

Paulo
Sure there are many factors to consider. And the monetary considerations are with us in almost anything we do in life.... buying a car, a home, a boat, etc.

Of course the main use of the boat is the primary question.

If it will be used as a weekend coastal cruiser, that is quite different from a liveaboard / blue water / long range vessel.

That is what my wife and I do with our boat, thus the maxim: buy as big as you can afford.

If we could afford it, we would have a Perini Navi faster than you can say 'sold'.

But, just to throw a debating point into the mix, I have found that a smaller boat is less forgiving, i.e., they react much quicker to wind changes than a larger vessel. So, if I am below making something to eat, or whatever, and the wind goes from 15 to 30 + knots, our CT 56 handles that even while flying all the sheets.

IF that happened onboard a smaller sloop, it would be a much more urgent situation to handle ASAP, with potential disaster hanging in the balance.

So, there are more positive reasons to have a bigger boat, than a smaller one, once your wallet is a lower priority than the ocean is.
Old 02-11-2014

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
Might want to consider rigging the reef through there grommet, around the boom and back up to the grommet. Looks like fun.
Yes, yes, I know

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Old 02-11-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg
I've always thought a good 'marker' for determining boat size relative to one's personal strength, is the ability to furl a headsail by hand. I'm of the opinion that I should be able to furl the jib in 'normal' conditions without having to resort to the use of a winch... If I cannot, it means either that the furler itself is undersized, or the furling line leads are not sufficiently fair, or I've waited too long to reef, or I'm simply not strong enough to be sailing that particular boat... Having to take a furling line to a winch - particularly a powered one - can be a very risky practice, as so clearly demonstrated recently by Stanley Paris when he destroyed one of his furlers aboard KIWI SPIRIT...
I don't get that one. I never sailed on any 40ft boat (or bigger) where it was possible to reef an headsail on strong winds downwind without a help from a winch. It has nothing to do with the furler but wind wind power on the sail, the size of the sail and with the impossibility to take the wind out of it (upwind it's easy).

Regards

Paulo
Well, perhaps it's just me...:-)

In any amount of fresh breeze, a always try to bear off when reefing or furling, and maybe try to get the headsail in the shadow of the main, if possible... I generally find heading down, instead of heading up, to be far easier, and kinder to the sail... Again, with with a good furler, fair leads and a ratchet turning block, I should have no trouble on a 40 footer in moderate conditions...

One other "cutoff point" I forgot to mention, for me... I would never, ever want to own a sailboat that required a 50 amp shorepower cord... After as many years as I have running motor yachts and sportfishermen, I am SO done with those freakin' things... :-)
Old 02-11-2014
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

In any amount of fresh breeze, a always try to bear off when reefing or furling, and maybe try to get the headsail in the shadow of the main, if possible... I generally find heading down, instead of heading up, to be far easier, and kinder to the sail... Again, with with a good furler, fair leads and a ratchet turning block, I should have no trouble on a 40 footer in moderate conditions...

One other "cutoff point" I forgot to mention, for me... I would never, ever want to own a sailboat that required a 50 amp shorepower cord... After as many years as I have running motor yachts and sportfishermen, I am SO done with those freakin' things... :-)
And we completely LOVE the 50 amps since we live onboard. Imagine trying to heat an all electric boat in Boston during the winter without at least 50 amps!

When we had a 35 amp boat, we had to constantly balance our electric usage... gee, do we want the microwave, or the water heater, or the refrigerators / battery charger, or the washer / dryer, or the space heaters, or ......... get's quite old.

But, some people lament the use of cars instead of horses. And, some pure sailors are embarrassed to have a motor on their vessel. Some even claim a woman onboard is bad luck! Some won't rely on GPS devices. I could list the many lines in the sand which people draw for themselves, but for us, we enjoy the hot water, TVs, microwave, washer & dryer, plenty of heat, refrigerator & freezer, computers, etc., all running concurrently if we choose to. That is the American middle class way of life, and we are pleased to enjoy it.

Choose as you will.
Old 02-12-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
And we completely LOVE the 50 amps since we live onboard. Imagine trying to heat an all electric boat in Boston during the winter without at least 50 amps!

When we had a 35 amp boat, we had to constantly balance our electric usage... gee, do we want the microwave, or the water heater, or the refrigerators / battery charger, or the washer / dryer, or the space heaters, or ......... get's quite old.

But, some people lament the use of cars instead of horses. And, some pure sailors are embarrassed to have a motor on their vessel. Some even claim a woman onboard is bad luck! Some won't rely on GPS devices. I could list the many lines in the sand which people draw for themselves, but for us, we enjoy the hot water, TVs, microwave, washer & dryer, plenty of heat, refrigerator & freezer, computers, etc., all running concurrently if we choose to. That is the American middle class way of life, and we are pleased to enjoy it.

Choose as you will.
Well, the same thing can be accomplished with 2 30 amp cords, of course. One line dedicated to heat/AC, the other to the rest of the ship's service. That would be my choice, saves one the trouble of wrestling with a 50 amp cord, when a single 30 will do...

Twin 30 amp lines is a much more flexible setup, in my opinion... Plus, one can use both to double the length of one's shore cord if necessary, should one ever venture beyond marinas with power outlets within easy reach, and "the American middle class way of life" ... :-)

Old 02-12-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Two 30 amp cords here. However, not wisely split between systems by the PO. Practically, they must both be connected. However, some things will work with only one.

More ridiculous is that the stock boat gets only one 30 amp cord. Everyone commissions either a 50 amp upgrade or a second 30 amp.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-12-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

+1 on two 30amp. Trouble I have is can't run AC for long if off shore power without running a genset. Not much of an issue as I hate AC and engine noise. Wife gotten use to idea of running for ~1h just before sleep to get rid of humidity then turn off. Other than that no issues and when on shore power can run everything in the boat without issue.

?Doug- which washer/dryer do you have. We're plumbed for one and had a dedicated space designed into the build. I've been looking at the splendide figuring they're put in RVs and other setting so long term will be serviceable.

sorry for the highjack-hope it will be brief.
Old 02-12-2014

Shockwave is on a distinguished road

You're not the only one, we make sail shy to the main for dousing kites or rolling the jib. I'll typically hand roll a few feet of the jib (1,100 sq ft) to avoid pulling a Paris. And, if you only use one or two wraps an lightly pull when the winch is spinning you'll know immediately if anything is hung. I would never wrap 6 parts around a winch, stick it in a feeder and stomp the button. Bad things can and will happen. It's not about strength, it's about being smart with the available power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post