Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree175Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2014
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

I rigged a 100 amp auto wreckers $35 alternator for Welding. Since then .I have built everything from self steering, to wood stoves, to anchor winches, from scratch, in my cockpit, while at anchor. Easy skill to learn.

I could waste a lot of cruising time making my paint job a mirror finish , so you could see your face in it from across the harbour.For who's benefit? Certainly not mine!
I could polish my stainless until it looked mass manufactured and freshly electro polished. For who's benefit? Certainly not mine.
The marina queen crowd try to jealously sabotage your freedom, by imposing their judgements, based on their priorities, on you. Having done so little time in the real world , they have no comprehension of practical and functional. Cosmetics and stylishness is all they have to judge a boat and it's gear by. They simply don't have the hands on cruising experience to understand the concept of "function" on a boat. Cruising on a low budget means not being suckered into their "trendiness and yachtieness" priorities .That is what makes boating so expensive for them and their victims. That is why they so rarely leave their marinas. Follow their priorities, and you too can spend horrendous amounts of money, as a slave to other people's priorities, and never leave the marina.
519sail likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
The marina queen crowd try to jealously sabotage your freedom, by imposing their judgements, based on their priorities, on you. Having done so little time in the real world , they have no comprehension of practical and functional. Cosmetics and stylishness is all they have to judge a boat and it's gear by. They simply don't have the hands on cruising experience to understand the concept of "function" on a boat.
Damn, it must suck to go through life feeling so relentlessly persecuted by anyone, and everyone, who just might happen to own a boat that shines...
Old 08-27-2014
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

No, the worst part is seeing others get suckered out of their cruising dreams, by being sold the line that it absolutely MUST shine, or they will die for sure.
Old 08-27-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
No, the worst part is seeing others get suckered out of their cruising dreams, by being sold the line that it absolutely MUST shine, or they will die for sure.
Well, here's a news flash for you:

Anyone who falls for such crap, was never going anywhere to begin with...

:-)
Old 08-27-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

unfortunately a lot do...

just like those that are told thay they need the must have cruise gear or you will die

peruse craigslist for many of these GEAR sales youd be surprised how damn repetitve these gear sails are

never used drogue
never use parachute anchor, never used this blah blah blah blah

people get suckered into many things

including threads and forums! oh no!
Group9 and Brent Swain like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I surely appreciate the spit and polish of meticulously maintained boats. There is beauty in ships that cannot be denied. Functionality is one thing, esthetics is another. I am not into that kind of tedious maintenance, never have been, but applaud the efforts of those who like shiny.
Old 08-27-2014

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

For the type of "cruising" a lot of people do, what is so great about that? Many people on the cruise circuit go to places that are pretty much the same. They get to their location, eat at a resturant, drink, fix boat stuff (or have someone fix it for them) and buy boat stuff, then figure out where they will go next and leave. Kind of like being on your own cruise ship except you gotta do the work. I have never been "cruising" proper but have sailed all around the world while being crew for the "cruiser" or on working boats. Some "cruisers" do get off the beaten track and do cool stuff but 99% don't.

For me, sailing is just fine.

BTW, if you want to buy a boat and don't have the money, take a look at the car you drive. I have never owned a new car and not too many years from retirement- probably will never buy a new car. New cars are probably the biggest waste of money today. Buy a simple used car and learn how to fix it. If you cannot fix most things on a car and are having problems raising funds for a sail boat, probably cannot afford to maintain a boat either.
Group9, aeventyr60, Bob142 and 1 others like this.
Old 08-27-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Spit and polish when cruising that's what you do in between ports of call so you look shipshape when you enter a port

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2014

Aquarian is on a distinguished road

We lived on a 42 foot boat on a mooring in the Caribbean for 2 years. It cost us less per month to live there including boat repairs than it cost to live on land in the US in a tiny one bedroom apartment. I guess it's all relative. We have friends who dream of sailing away, and they ask us how we managed to make it happen. Some of these folks are better off financially than we are. We tell them to start by getting rid of stuff. Stuff keeps you tied to terra firma. We usually get a confused look in response. I think there are a large number of people who love to fantasize about sailing away, but that is really all they want it to be. For them it is more comfortable for sailing away to remain inaccessible and a fantasy. So they choose to believe that it has to cost a lot of money.
Old 08-27-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Spit and polish when cruising that's what you do in between ports of call so you look shipshape when you enter a port
Either you sail with large crews (as in many, not big guys), or you've figured a way to get enough free time between ports for spit and polish. What is the secret, 'cause I've not found it yet.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.