Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree175Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Nothing to really to worry about except for the small detail of Obama's EPA trying to figure out on how to tax us for the use of wind power, every time we go sailing...

They will probably say that our sails are interferring with the natural order of the wind and causing it to disapate or some other silly reason. You needn't worry, because this is your tax dollars at work...

Everyone has the right to be 'Stupid' every so often. But there are some who abuse it heavily.
https://s-media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com...e55573c25c.jpg
Rhapsody-NS27 and Minnesail like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2014

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Boasun,
Back in the year leading up to the AC in San Francisco, the cup authority had to do an environmental impact report, reputably costing into the six figures, to specifically address the bird issue. When the indications were that the boats had the potential to travel in excess of thirty knots, some environmentalists were concerned that the local seabird population wouldn’t be able to cope with it and either be outright killed by the sails or go into breeding shock. The report was dutifully written and vetted. Thankfully, neither tragedy came to pass.
Nancyleeny likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeB For This Useful Post:
Nancyleeny (08-31-2014)
Old 08-28-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

I can understand the concern. I went into a breeding shock once due to the actions of the birds I was hanging with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Capt Len For This Useful Post:
Nancyleeny (08-31-2014)
Old 08-28-2014
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
And yet, there are people like Tom and Vicky Jackson on SUNSTONE, who manage to maintain a high-maintenance vessel in pristine condition, while voyaging extensively in some very challenging regions of the world - thus proving it doesn't necessarily have to be an Either/Or proposition...

Hopefully, they might be forgiven for trying to "sabotage (Brent's) freedom"...

:-)

index

Ironically, if his "marina crowd" ever did manage to cut the lines and get 'out there' en masse, he'd be whining about the overcrowding of his favorite cruising grounds...

I know I sure would be... Frankly, I'm thankful that such a large percentage remain tethered to the dock, and will likely remain so... Hell, it's already crowded enough out there as it is... :-)
That kind of "Cruising" is defined as "working like a slave in exotic locations."
Nancyleeny likes this.
Old 08-28-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
That kind of "Cruising" is defined as "working like a slave in exotic locations."
Yeah, well... give them a bit more time to finally see the Wisdom of Your Way...

They've only managed to put 170,000 miles in SUNSTONE's wake thus far, after all...

:-)
Nancyleeny likes this.
Old 08-31-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

The original question of whether you need to be "rich" to sail can be answered in one word-YES. When considering the conditions of the majority of the people on the planet, we should all thank our lucky stars that we can even discuss such things. By mere fate, we happened to be born here and now.
Bob142 and Nancyleeny like this.
Old 08-31-2014

Nancyleeny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
The original question of whether you need to be "rich" to sail can be answered in one word-YES. When considering the conditions of the majority of the people on the planet, we should all thank our lucky stars that we can even discuss such things. By mere fate, we happened to be born here and now.
This. While most of us don't probably consider ourselves "rich," I need to remind myself that much of the world doesn't even have clean running water, so I am, in fact, rich beyond measure.
Old 08-31-2014

bblument is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
If you are planning on learning something of value, try learning how to ....... refit a severed finger or set a compound fracture - they are more likely to cripple your boat than a calamitous gear failure. And they're far more scary.
Indeed. If anyone DOES have some personal experience or specialized knowledge on how to deal with those two tragic scenarios, I am ALL ears and eyes... type away.. please!

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
Old 08-31-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyleeny View Post
This. While most of us don't probably consider ourselves "rich," I need to remind myself that much of the world doesn't even have clean running water, so I am, in fact, rich beyond measure.
My brother is an engineer who volunteers for a humanitarian organization that drills water wells in Africa and builds fiberglass storage tanks to go with them. I sent him this cartoon to take with him.

Brent Swain and Bob142 like this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 08-31-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblument View Post
Indeed. If anyone DOES have some personal experience or specialized knowledge on how to deal with those two tragic scenarios, I am ALL ears and eyes... type away.. please!

Barry
A good place to start would be taking an approved OEM (offshore emergency medical ) course they are offered all over the place. Offshore Emergency Medicine | First Aid Training Courses Marine Medicine || Medical Officer, Ltd. || 970.275.4999 check with local red cross office for ones in your area.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.