Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree175Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2014

rbyham is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

We have been a two income couple now down to just my income... At about 75k a year to be honest we are finding it difficult to afford some aspects of the cost of sailing. The major cost challenge as we see it after year one though is not the boat. The boat and even most fixes are quite manageable as I can do most work myself. The major expense that makes the lifestyle difficult is marina experience. Even now I am trying to figure out how to reduce or remove that $2800/Y from the picture. Can't trailer something almost 30'. At our income level slips fees or $150/m would be much ore realistic than the 275/m we are paying now... Plus $45/m for trailer storage. So while I agree that many more could have a Sailboat, marina fees are the single most limiting factor...
Phitod likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2014

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

(I was just reading my stuff and it sounds like I'm ripped. I'm not at all, just voicing my perception on the subject so if I offend, go easy on me)

Where I stand, if you're approaching $100k or passed it, you are into wealthy, not so you have diamonds dripping, but so you can afford half a mortgage (for an average family) per month for recreation. I'm estimating all told, $700 per month in insurance, mooring/slip fees, maintenance, diesel, supplies and sailing expenses (rented moorings, food). As a trailer sailor, my expenses are way down. $400/year insurance, another $300 in gas. Hauling is done every weekend. Maintenance is done by me in the driveway (much to the chagrin of neighbors). For most people, sailing (cruising) is still an elitist past time with lots of money required. And those who can't afford a blue water capable boat are looked down upon as less than sailors. I have found a particular bias against people who a) aren't willing to drop "just $700" for right chartplotter b) can't afford to take ASA101, ASA103, ASA105, ASA106 et al. c) didn't crew for three years on TransPac training ships d) Trailer their boats. It is still a money thing. But who loves sailing more, the guy with a fully stocked galley complete with fridge and gimballed oven or the guy that has to spend an hour of hard work just to float, then sit in the weather at all times and eat cold food or use a camp stove? In my eyes, the person who must endure the most inconvenience but still endeavors to sail wins every time.

Now, many folks reading do not feel this way about trailer sailors. Thanks for being that way. But others plainly do. If you do, check your income and boat size.

My wife and I sail the coast of Maine, about 1000 nm per year. Most trips are overnights, many are multiple days and hundreds of miles, dodging rocks and ledges, lobster buoys, ferries, and . . . larger sailboats who are the give-way vessels but either don't know the rules or . . . look down on smaller boats. I'd bet I can count into the teens on that one.
Sabreman, ABH3 Boyer and Travelnik like this.
Old 01-31-2014

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Just the opposite. I am rich because I sail. But not the financial way!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 01-31-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Money means something, making a good living means having the ability to do what maybe others can't do or can't afford to do... but it comes at a price for some...

I own my own engineering company (3 man business) and with it comes monetary rewards and I make a better living than most even some doctors/lawyers... but it comes with a negative price of having to travel away from home for extended periods of time... 9 months in China, 9 months in Seattle, so far 6 months here in Montreal and no end in sight... this comes at a price of being away from my family (I do get to see them regularly for a week or two), home, garden, cars (collector cars), sailboat, etc... the only points worth this style of work is the fact I am saving a ton of money for the eventual sail-off with my wife... my wife is a special education teacher and has 13 more years to full retirement, I have less than 8 years more to go... we are mostly debt free and only business taxes to contend with... I want a larger sailboat when it's time to go and probably will purchase a 5 year old or less sailboat (or yacht ) and outfit it for our extended cruising but it will not be over 35 feet, this to keep costs down... we figure an average of $1500-2500 a month just cruising expenses alone (no medical or major boat expenditures).

I miss being on the sailboat I have now and have someone watching and caring for it while I'm gone and wish I could sail away now but reality is it's better to make the money now and have the funds to support the sailing than waiting and never being able to sail where we want as long as our health holds out. 8 years is not long but anything can happen in life... no sure bets.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 01-31-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-31-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

It is as expewnsive as you want to make it, and as attainable as you want it to be. if you really, truly, absolutely, need to sail, you will find a way, even if you are so broke that you need a cosigner even when you pay cash.
Sabreman, T37Chef and newhaul like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

everyone with a boat is rich, just because you know people with more money doesn't really change it
Old 01-31-2014

HEXE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Read the obituaries and see how many people younger than you are in there every week. Then wonder what they thought they were going to do next year.
I've seen many a better man than me wither to nothing in months.
living in a small town makes it most evident.

I'm pretty close to the poverty level for this area.. lil under 30k a year take home.
i can keep up with the jone's if i have to. i can file bankruptsy too lol...
i manage to have everything my friends have. without the anguish.
it may not be as new or cool. as long as i keep my bad habits in check
i can afford to get what i need. i have to plan for it... i dont have the instant
gratification of deep pockets.

i only pay 220 a month for slip and liveaboard fees and about 200 for utilities
' electric phone/internet and some diesel'.
I think i could slop dishes for a living part time and make way....
it would be a good thing for me.. that way i could not afford these $10 packs of smokes...
Old 01-31-2014

Steve in Idaho is on a distinguished road

I'm just a day-sailor, and a trailer-sailor at that. But I have run the numbers (because I have dreams). For the middle-class American, having a sailboat and even cruising it - coastal anyway - is really just a matter of having no consumer debt. What others put out just in car payments can cover mooring fees. Buy an economical used vehicle rather than new, and you save the price of a good old coastal cruiser. Forget golf, trips to Vegas, and sports bars, and maintenance costs are affordable. By world standards, that may still be "wealthy" - but in the context of modern America, it is rather unremarkable. Unless you consider it remarkable that someone would choose to live within their means, so as not to waste money enriching money lenders.

Someday, when my time is my own....

In the meantime - a good old 20' pocket cruiser trailer sailor costs less to acquire and maintain than one new ATV or Snowmobile. This is a CHEAP hobby - but yes, we are "rich".
bgeddes and Bruce_L like this.
Old 01-31-2014

aelkin is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised I haven't seen a response yet like this, so I'll have a go.

You don't have to be rich to sail.

You do have to be rich to sail...(choose any of the following)
  1. fast
  2. comfortably in any weather
  3. if you need to stay in marinas while cruising
  4. across borders
  5. a big boat
    1. with kids

Our first boat was a Tanzer 22, purchased in the water, in a slip, full of fuel, with a bunch of sails. Paid about $4000, and that was thru a broker. Not knowing any better, we had a great time with that boat. Felt it was a pretty cheap hobby.
We decided we needed more room, for the kids.
bought a bigger boat for $8000. Had to use a bigger slip. Wanted to go faster. Bought better sails. Wanted to be comfortable. Updated the cushions, installed roller furling, electronics, and ran rigging to the cockpit.

We decided we wanted to race more competitively.. (go faster) Bought a bigger boat for more than double the 2nd boat. sails don't perform well, so need to buy new ones. One sail is worth more than the price of the entire first boat. Need to rent the second-largest slip size in the marina. It is no longer a cheap hobby, but it means enough to us that we make the sacrifices we need to to continue doing it - as hard-core as we can afford.

I'm not rich, but we live comfortably. I'm not comfortable telling anyone but other sailors much about the cost of our boat, because of the 'you must be rich' stigma.

You don't have to be rich to sail, but the folks that are out there, sailing around in 22-footers, aren't what the general populus thinks about when they think 'yachtsmen', either....it's all a matter of perspective.
bljones likes this.
Old 01-31-2014

manatee is on a distinguished road

"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone."

"My greatest skill has been to want but little."

--- Henry David Thoreau

Sensible Cruising: The Thoreau Approach
Stella's crew likes this.