Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

I bought a boat back when I was single and dumb. Never put a dime in to it other than slip fees, which were about $75 a month, IIRC. Sold that boat when I moved to the desert, got married, had two kids, blah, blah, blah. For fifteen years I dreamed of owning another boat. A divorce, and a move back to the coast, and I was ready again. I bought small ($3800), and I keep it cheap ($212 per month). With COL, and child support, I'm by no means wealthy. But, I own a beautiful boat that fits within my budget. Would I like a 30 or 40 footer? Yeah, and I could probably finagle one if I wanted to eat Top Ramen nightly. I guess my point is that sailboat ownership on a smaller budget is perfectly feasible, if you keep your "wants" and "needs" separate.
bljones likes this.
Old 01-31-2014

seafrontiersman is on a distinguished road

I bought a Watkins 23XL pocket cruiser for $800 and dropped another $1800 or so during the next year restoring her and in the end she was safe, dry, comfortable, and beautiful. I did all the work myself and shopped at marine second hand stores and Tractor Supply for parts. The most expensive single item was a $600 mainsail.

It was a WONDERFUL experience and certainly not out of the reach of a working man..

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2014

Bruce_L is on a distinguished road

All I know is that I am at my marina often enough to notice I am the only guy on my pier that sails most of the time. I sail almost every weekend unless its some really terrible weather. I sailed 17 miles last weekend. Yeah it was sorta cold but the wind was perfect that day. I had the entire gulf to myself. I rarely see anyone else go out. Not even the big 50 foot powerboats. I think the big boat owner is either working all the time to pay his bills or its too much work to take the boat out and clean up afterwards so they never go out. I really cant figure it out. My boat is a whopping 19', smallest in the marina. This keeps me in the cheap monthly slip price range. I am far from rich but I know what it takes to have a good time on the water. So if you are willing to do a lot of the work yourself, get a used boat and keep it docked and have some fun. I dont think I would sail as much if I had to trailer my boat and rig it every time though. Just too much work and wasted sailing time for that day. Paying a monthly slip fee is well worth it to me.
bljones, LooseDiamond and ericb760 like this.
Old 02-01-2014

rbyham is on a distinguished road

I forget where I saw it but when factoring in global income levels, any American making more than 30k is a member of the 1 percent club. Strange eh? I also saw a quote that said, considered globally, If you make more than 50k you are much closer to Bill Gates' salary than you are to the average wage of those in other countries... Not sure that is true but it was on the Internet :-) and I get the point...
barefootnavigator likes this.
Old 02-01-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Rich isn't just money, but time to enjoy it. I day sailed my Catalina 22 probably 50 times last year. Did a few overnights with the boys on Lake George. Cost of the boat _+dockage on the Hudson River is -- really insignificant to me and my home owners insurance covers boat liability insurance for free. So, I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

However - buying a bigger heavier boat with a diesel inboard and actually going somewhere is a whole different ball game, fraught with money and logistics issues. That is what I would love to do but -- more money would help.

Unfortunately we have 2 kids in college now. I could buy a beautiful yacht for what I have forked out to kids/colleges in the past 4 years. I have plenty of money for the first scenario, and not enough for the second.
Old 02-01-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Unfortunately we have 2 kids in college now. I could buy a beautiful yacht for what I have forked out to kids/colleges in the past 4 years. I have plenty of money for the first scenario, and not enough for the second.
Same here... put my daughter through 5 years of college... married now and glad she is off my wallet sort of speak...

My son graduates this Spring and has already received the letter indicating he graduates and this May we attend his graduation from college... though he now goes to graduate school for his higher education which we will have to fund... scholarships have helped him much for the finances but when we tally the costs to send both of them to college we could have bought a brand new Benetau sailboat... but the benefit is seeing them graduate and know you have done the job as a parent to see them off to their own careers and lives... now comes the fun part of funding our cruising lives....
Old 02-01-2014

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_L View Post
. . . only guy on my pier that sails most of the time. . . I rarely see anyone else go out. . .
You're in the Gulf, we are on Great Lakes, same experience here, everywhere we travel most are in the slip or on the mooring, way too few under sail.

Our boat is not our boat, it's owned by someone else that can't deal with doing routine maintenance and seasonal work due to age, health and available time. BUT he is comfortable paying for club fees, insurance, necessary parts, etc., and we are thrilled to take care of the boat, improve it, have free use to sail as many Sundays as possible, even take friends out. He's a former Olympic racer from 1952, and when we are on the race course May through October he is 15 years old again and crew are all in a state of bliss. BTW, we fueled up the diesel before liftout for $45, he fills up his power boat for $2200. Guess which boat never leaves to dock.
Old 02-01-2014

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Cruising costs are definately variable depending on the sailing you do. We had a 30' boat and pottered around on lake champlain, very affordable.

We have upgraded to a 41' Tartan and in getting ready for a year cruising, I am starting to keep track of costs, and it's eye-opening.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-01-2014

mattt is on a distinguished road

You don't even have to own a boat to sail frequently. I'm in a sailing club in the PNW and my sailing habit costs about the same as monthly moorage for both my wife and I, but I don't have to buy a boat or do maintenance.
Old 02-01-2014

capttb is on a distinguished road

What is the monthly charge to moor a wife in the PNW ? OH wait, I misunderstood, never mind.
Minnesail likes this.